[Phoenix-eNews] Phoenix BackstagePASS: Summer 2022

UVic's Phoenix Theatre phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Mon May 30 17:21:58 PDT 2022

Announcing the 2022-23 Season | Department News

May 2022 | Act 16 Scene 1

[Phoenix_logo_rgb]

Phoenix Theatre @ UVic

BackstagePASS

[2022-23-Season-3square]

Announcing the 2022-23 season:

Learning from the past while looking ahead

Sometimes the play choices for our seasons have an interesting evolution, with ideas arriving from various contributors from various themes. Admittedly, our 2022-23 season evolved a bit slower than usual, but we're so happy to present this collection of fantastic plays that explore stories from the past that clearly help us navigate our current world. Gaining inspirations from ancient Greek drama, to 19th century German plays and 17th century witch trials, these contemporary works – ranging from musicals to tragedies to something in between – are clearly rooted in timeless stories that resonate today.

2022-23 Mainstage Season

An anthem for the trials & tribulations of youth

[Spring-sprung-1280x1280_box](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/spring-awakening/)

November 10 – 26, 2022
Selected in a landslide departmental vote and a clear favourite of our students and faculty alike, [Spring Awakening](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/spring-awakening/)(with book & lyrics by Steven Sater and music by Duncan Sheik)won 8 Tony Awards and rocked the theatre world when it opened on Broadway. Based on a 1891 German play, this groundbreaking musical follows a group of teenagers through the trials and tribulations of coming of age, exploring seemingly timeless tough issues with poignancy and passion – and a lot of rock ‘n’ roll! Featuring guest director [Michelle Rios](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/spring-awakening/).

[Learn more about the show and read artist bios.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/spring-awakening/)

Witch hunts of the past and present

[VingerTom-Tallp-Web-box](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/friday-afternoons-at-the-phoenix-fire-episode-eight-2/)

February 16 – 25, 2023
From the mind of veteran feminist playwright Caryl Churchill, this tale of a 17th-century witch trial jumps out of the past and into contemporary headlines. The play is a mash up of a historical story and modern musical numbers that cleverly connect us to questions of how women’s bodies remain a battleground today. Featuring our MFA directing candidate, [Francis Matheu](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/vinegartom/).

[Learn more about the show and read artist bios.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/vinegartom/)

Seeing Greek tragedies in American immigration stories

[palm-tree-try-banner-layers-box-1280x1280-1]

March16 – 25, 2023
Playwright Luis Alfaro has blended Euripides’ classic tragedy Medea with Mexican folklore in an "unpretentious and entertaining" examination one Mexican family's hope for a better life in the United Stages and their struggles to live without documentation while caught in the grip of America’s immigration system. Alfaro has also written plays based on Sophocles' Electra, and Oedipus, published in the collection [The Greek Trilogy](https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/greek-trilogy-of-luis-alfaro-9781350155404/). Featuring guest director [Carmen Aguirre](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/mojada/).

[Learn more about the show and read artist bios.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2022-2023-mainstage-season/mojada/)

Subscriptions available now!

Plus, every subscription comes with our "Book with Confidence Guarantee" that includes easy and free ticket exchanges to alternate dates or to online streaming performances (when available). See a full list of [subscription benefits](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/tickets/subscriptions/)on our website. Book now by filling out the [order form](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-3-SeasonFlyer-FINAL.pdf), or call our friendly students in the box office!

Phoenix Box Office: 250-721-8000
Open in-person and by phone
Monday to Friday, 12pm to 3pm
(Closed for holidays June 24 to early Sept.)

Department NEWS

[Graduates reminisce on their time at the Phoenix](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/graduates-reminisce-on-their-time-at-the-phoenix/)

Looking back while looking ahead: New grads reminisce on their time at the Phoenix

This June the class of 2022 will convocate from UVic with an in-person ceremony for the first time in two years. Our graduating students look back on their favourite Phoenix memories and friendships they've made.

[Read more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/graduates-reminisce-on-their-time-at-the-phoenix/)

[Students navigate their first year in person at the Phoenix](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/students-navigate-their-first-year-in-person-at-the-phoenix/)

1st & 2nd year students navigate their first in-person school year

First- and second-year students who spent much of last year online talk to the Phoenix Fire blog editor Taylor Williams about their in-person experiences this year... and what they're looking forward to in the next few years of their time at the Department of Theatre.

[Read more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/students-navigate-their-first-year-in-person-at-the-phoenix/)

[Friday Afternoons at the Phoenix Fire: Episode Twelve](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/friday-afternoons-at-the-phoenix-fire-episode-ten-2/)

Phoenix Fire podcast features stories from behind the scenes

Did you know that this past year, students at the department created 12 episodes of a new podcast? Friday Afternoon at the Phoenix Fire takes you behind-the-scenes with students, guest artists and UVic scholars. Also find the recordings all of our Friday pre-show lectures.

[Listen to podcast now](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/podcasts/)

[Phoenix_logo_rgb]

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity. Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, [click here](https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews)and enter your address and click Un-Subscribe. A confirmation message will be emailed to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you can click on to complete the removal process.