[Phoenix-eNews] Phoenix BackstagePASS: March 2022

UVic's Phoenix Theatre phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Fri Mar 18 20:49:53 PDT 2022

Shakespeare's Women | Interviews with Experts | Department News

March 2022 | Act 15 Scene 3

[Phoenix_logo_rgb]

Phoenix Theatre @ UVic

BackstagePASS

[D85_5129]

“In all their infinite variety”— the women of Shakespeare today

With International Women's Day on March 8th, our final play of the season [Shakespeare's Women](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/shakespeares-women/)carries on the celebration, featuring the Bard's most iconic leading ladies. From Hamlet's Ophelia to Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing or Macbeth's Lady M, these women "in all their infinite variety" are powerful, passionate, merciful, loving and beloved, desperate, mournful, and victorious.
But what do these characters have to say to us today from our contemporary perspective, over 400 years later? In this issue of BackstagePASS we asked some wonderful women, all professors from the Department of English, to share their thoughts (see links below).

Rather than stuck in the past, Shakespeare has gifted us with characters that are the heroines we still need today.

- [See the list of featured plays in Shakespeare's Women, with a short synopsis of each.](http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/SW-FeaturedPlaysList.pdf)

Mainstage STORIES

Talking about the Women of Shakespeare

[Talking about the Women of Shakespeare](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/talking-about-the-women-of-shakespeare/)

Janelle Jenstad, a professor in the Department of English, shared her fascinating insights about the women in Shakespeare's plays... including which ones she wishes had more of a backstory and which two should really sit down for and talk about their father issues!

[Watch the full interview.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/talking-about-the-women-of-shakespeare/)

Friday Afternoons at the Phoenix Fire Podcast

[wright](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/friday-afternoons-at-the-phoenix-fire-episode-eight-2/)

Phoenix Fire Podcast host Mo Hatch sat down for an in-depth conversation with Dr. Nancy Wright (shown left) from the Department of English. They chatted about Dr. Wright's favourite female characters in the Bard's plays and she spoke to the significance of seeing them come together on stage.

[Listen to the full interview.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/friday-afternoons-at-the-phoenix-fire-episode-eight-2/)

[049c3c_343b3c2cb9da430f98df494f52bdab16]

Podcast host Mo Hatch spoke with guest director, Dean Gabourie about working on Shakespeare's Women and what inspires and engages him as a director.

[Listen to the full interview.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/friday-afternoons-at-the-phoenix-fire-episode-nine/)

Streaming performances next week

See theatre the way it works best for you! Our performances are beautifully captured by three different camera angles for a dynamic online streaming experience from the comfort of your own home. An easy one-click link is emailed to you the afternoon before your show time. Streaming shows run: Thursday, March 24 at 7pm, Friday, March 25 at 7pm
and Saturday, March 26 at 3pm.

[Learn more Shakespeare's Women and online streaming.](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/shakespeares-women/)

[SQUARE1-1-SW-500dpi](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2021-22/dead-mans-cell-phone/)

More about Shakespeare's Women

[D85_5111]

[DSC_1360-spanishsonnet]

[Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.48.23 AM]

See more photos
We're lucky to work with local photographer [Dean Kalyan](https://deankalyan.com/) who regularly captures the beautiful images performed on our stage.

See more images from Shakespeare's Women on our Facebook page.

[See more photos](https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.5035964203126126&type=3)

From Page to Stage: Costumes to Characters
Check out the development of some of the female characters in Shakespeare's Women, from costume design by Mallory Goodman to the final characters onstage.

[Read more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/from-page-to-stage-costumes-to-characters/)

CTV Vancouver Island
The camera crew from CTV Vancouver Island stopped by to watch a scene from As You Like It (featuring Sophia Radford & Jaswant Cridge) and talk to fourth-year design student Brock Keeler about his work on Shakespeare's Women. (Story starts at 37:42 minutes.)

[Watch the news story.](https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2399991&binId=1.1777487&playlistPageNum=1)

Department NEWS

[Students navigate their first year in person at the Phoenix](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/students-navigate-their-first-year-in-person-at-the-phoenix/)

Students navigate first year in person

First- and second-year students who spent much of last year online talk to the Phoenix Fire about their in-person experiences this year.

[Read more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/students-navigate-their-first-year-in-person-at-the-phoenix/)

[The Dumb Waiter featured as MFA Project](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/the-dumb-waiter-featured-as-mfa-project/)

The Dumb Waiter featured as MFA Project

MFA candidate Francis Matheu directs Harold Pinter's The Dumb Waiter for his spring studio project.

[Learn more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/the-dumb-waiter-featured-as-mfa-project/)

[Kim-Harvey](https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/community-impact-awards/)

UVic Distinguished Alumni Award

Syilx and Tsilhqot’in director, writer and actor Kim Senklip Harvey just received a UVicDistinguished Alumni Award. Harvey is shown here directing a reading of her playKamloopa for the department last November.
[Learn more](https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2022/03/10/distinguished-alumni/)

[Phoenix_logo_rgb]

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity. Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, [click here](https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews)and enter your address and click Un-Subscribe. A confirmation message will be emailed to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you can click on to complete the removal process.