[Phoenix-eNews] BackstagePASS > 2021-22 Season | Phoenix at the Fringe | Summer Theatre & Beyond

UVic's Phoenix Theatre phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Tue Aug 17 18:55:45 PDT 2021

Edit this to insert text.
Fall 2021 | Act 15 Scene 1

Phoenix Theatre @ UVic
BackstagePASS

Returning to Campus
Across the university, UVic is preparing to welcome students, faculty and staff back to campus. Read more <https://www.uvic.ca/return-to-campus/index.php> about these initiatives and what students can expect this fall.

At the Department of Theatre we're thrilled to welcome all of our returning students, but we are especially looking forward to meeting our 1st and 2nd-year students in person!

And of course, we can't wait to invite you, our audiences, safely back into our theatres. Check out our exciting new season that will be offered in-person as well as some online streaming options.

Announcing the
2021-22 Phoenix Theatre Season
As UVic returns to classes on campus this fall, the Phoenix is optimistically planning for in-person performances. While hopeful, we acknowledge we must also continue to be responsive as the pandemic evolves. Audience numbers may be limited and we are planning for various scenarios and incorporating flexibility into everything we do, including offering livestream options where possible.
3-Play Package for only $45
Subscribe & Save with peace of mind.
Learn about our free exchanges, refund options, and livestream alternatives, so you can book your tickets with confidence.
 <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2021-22/dead-mans-cell-phone/>
November 11 – 27, 2021
Director Fran Gebhard
Learn More <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2021-22/dead-mans-cell-phone/>
When Jean answers an incessantly ringing cellphone in a cafe, she’s launched into a loopy, otherworldly odyssey and has her own wake-up call about the importance of human connection.
 <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/the-waste-land/>
February 17 – 26, 2022
Director/Choreographer Conrad Alexandrowicz
Learn More <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/the-waste-land/>
A new staged adaptation of Eliot’s landmark 1922 poem which bears witness to the aftermath of the First World War while also offering hope for society’s redemption.
 <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/shakespeares-women/>
March 17 – 26, 2022
Guest Director Dean Gabourie
Learn More <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/2021-22-mainstage-season/shakespeares-women/>
A playful contemporary revisiting of the Bard’s most beloved stories, told through the eyes of his most memorable female characters “in all their infinite variety”.
Phoenixers at the
Victoria Fringe Festival
Intrepid Theatre's
Victoria Fringe Festival
August 13 - September 24
Learn More <https://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>
We're all excited to have theatre back in our lives and especially for the return of the Victoria Fringe Festival.  <https://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>This year the festival runs earlier and longer and includes in-person and online streaming shows, many that include work and performances of UVic Theatre students and alumni. Check out the list below of Phoenixers involved (with apologies to the many other artists!)

Also, a big shout out to Phoenixers working behind the scenes to make this happen including Intrepid's Managing Director Justine Shore, and Emily Campbell, Barb Clerihue, Aidan Guerreiro and Annie Konstantinova.
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/seethered/>
SEETHERED <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/seethered/>
Bold. Beautiful. Bloody. Plant your feet in the stirrups and pop a Midol or two for an exploration of reproductive healthcare.
Writer/Director Zoë Wessler, featuring: Emma Newton, Arielle Permack, Kapila Rego, and Rahat Saini
Metro Theatre: August 19 - 24
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/mazel-tov-john-lennon/>
Mazel Tov, John Lennon  <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/mazel-tov-john-lennon/>
Based on the true story of John Lennon’s stormy immigration/ deportation case and his unlikely friendship with the strait-laced lawyer Leon Wildes.
Featuring Nicholas Guerreiro
On Demand Video: August 27 - September 2
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-shadow-in-the-water/>
The Shadow in the Water <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-shadow-in-the-water/>
A highly personal and poignant tale of love, loss, and sharks.
Director Ian Case, featuring Cam Culham, Connie McConnell and Melissa Taylor.
Metro Theatre: September 8 - 12
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/hegnimwaal-based-off-the-enclosed-assembly-manual-of-the-same-name/>
Hegnimwaal: Based off the Enclosed Assembly
Manual of the Same Name <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/hegnimwaal-based-off-the-enclosed-assembly-manual-of-the-same-name/>
A DIY guide to the existential dread that is packaged with every piece of Swedish furniture.
Co-Producer/Writer/Director Andrew Fraser & Co-Producer/ Production Manager Logan Swain, featuring Nicholas Atkinson and Shayla Pready, with poster design by Conor Farrell.
Metro Theatre: September 8 - 12
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/batman-in-the-park/>
Batman in the Park <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/batman-in-the-park/>
Broke, homeless and his acting career in the toilet, Batman books Hamlet in Shakespeare in the Park – and like Hamlet, faces his greatest enemy in his own fear.
Creator/Co-Director Kara Flanagan (current UVic PhD candidate in Education), featuring Kevin Eastman.
Metro Theatre: September 15 - 23
 <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/broad-street-uprising/>
Broad Street Uprising <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/broad-street-uprising/>
The stories of four tenants in a half-way house are woven together with those of Jeff, their new caretaker, as he learns what it means to be part of this street level community.
Writer/Director: Jim Leard
Metro Theatre: September 18 - 24
Phoenix Phacts
Department of Theatre & Alumni updates
Department Comings & Goings
This past year has seen some momentous changes at the Department of Theatre. Several long-time faculty and staff have retired this year including our esteemed costume design professor, Mary Kerr  <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/emeriti/kerr-mary.php>(top photo), applied theatre professor Warwick Dobson <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/emeriti/dobson-warwick.php>, Operations and Production Manager Bert Timmermans, Head of Wardrobe Karla Stout, Scenic Carpenter Charles Procure, and Props Coordinator Bryn Finer.

As you can imagine we have also been busy filling a lot of incredibly big shoes! To that end, we're pleased to announce some new arrivals, including Carolyn Choo <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/pea/choo-carolyn.php> (middle photo) as our new Props Coordinator, Katri Tahvanainen <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/pea/tahvanainen-katri.php> as Head of Wardrobe and Timothy O'Gorman <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/pea/ogorman-timothy.php> will be stepping up from his role as Technical Director to become the new Operations and Production Manager.

The Faculty of Fine Arts also welcomes Karla Point (bottom photo) as our new Indigenous Resurgence Coordinator (IRC). Karla, whose traditional Nuu chah nulth name is Hii nulth tsa kaa, feels Fine Arts is where she belongs: “The idea of sharing knowledge, learning with others and working with artistic people really appeals to me.” Read more <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2021/07/28/learning-with-others-karla-point-is-the-new-indigenous-resurgence-coordinator-for-fine-arts/> about Karla and her new role.

Theatre for summer & beyond
Other than the Fringe Festival, there's still more theatre to enjoy locally before summer's end and lots of announcements being made for the fall!

Theatre SKAM's Young Company <https://skam.ca/show-syc-thefates/> is presenting The Fates (written by UVic Writing MFA alum Ellery Rose Lamm) from August 25 to September 4. The coming-of-age play about two girls who witness something mystical at an end of summer party is directed by alumna Anna Marie Anderson (top photo) and designed by alumna Olivia Wheeler and stage managed by current student Riley Schaffner.

And there's still time to book a SKAM Pop Up Theatre Home Delivery <https://skam.ca/pop-up/> and treat your neighbourhood to one of four short plays. Pop-Ups are by donation and can be booked Thursdays to Sundays until September 5. Watch for fourth year-student Kaelan Bain (second photo down) who is part of the Pop-Up team this year!

Coming up in September professor Jan Wood <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/wood-jan.php> (third photo down) premieres a new play to launch the Belfry Theatre's 2021/22 season. Same Old Same Old  <https://www.belfry.bc.ca/same-old-same-old/#sp_crew>(streaming online September 21 - 26) features scenes from the moments of an older couple's life together. Co-written with James Fagan, the play features a lots of alumni, including director Kaitlin Williams, movement coach Treena Stubel, director of photography Peter Carlone and assistant stage manager Becca Jorgensen.

Blue Bridge Theatre <https://bluebridgetheatre.ca/> has announced their 2021-22 season offering in-person and livestreamed performances for each show. While artists have not been announced for the season yet, we were excited to see Ride the Cyclone's return to Victoria after the hit musical's runs in Vancouver, Toronto, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta and Minneapolis. Ride the Cyclone is co-written by previous Phoenix student Jacob Richmond <https://www.timescolonist.com/victoria-musical-earns-rave-reviews-in-chicago-1.2081706> and Brooke Maxwell (bottom photo).