[Phoenix-eNews] BackstagePASS> Our new "Classrooms" | Season Update | Department News | Spooky Halloween events!

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Wed Oct 28 16:46:40 PDT 2020

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	October 2020 • Act 14 • Scene 2

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

Behind the Scenes <#enews> | 2021 Season <#season> | News <#news> |
Halloween Events <#Halloween> | Phoenix Phacts <#events>| Kudos <#sponsor>

      Behind the Scenes: Returning to the "Classroom" with new ways of
      teaching

Walking through the halls of the Phoenix building, the Department of
Theatre is missing some of the hustle and bustle of previous years.  But
behind the passing masked faces and closed doors sporting notes that say
“In a Zoom meeting!” there’s evidence of ingenuity and a tight-knit
community familiar to those who know how resilient theatre practitioners
are.

While most classes at UVic have moved to online learning, the Department
of Theatre has been given permission for many of our essential,
experienced-based courses to return to the classroom under strict health
and safety work plans. Other larger theatre courses are taking advantage
of current technology to expand on usual classroom opportunities with
national guests and new high-tech, virtual platforms.

Professor Jan Wood’s
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/wood-jan.php>
third-year acting class, comprising of 12 students, has moved into the
much-larger stage of the Chief Dan George theatre to allow for maximum
distancing while they practice their craft (see banner image). Applied
Theatre Prof. Yasmine Kandil
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/kandil-yasmine.php>is
also working in-person with her second-year students on their projects
in the McIntyre Studio. /“The students are thrilled and very
appreciative to be working face-to-face,”/ says Kandil. /“They are
relishing the experience of being together, relating to one another, and
able to savour the embodied form of expression.”/

/<https://tarabeagan.com>/Meanwhile, the fourth-year Canadian Theatre
History course, has drawn almost 60 students from Theatre and across
campus into Prof. Sasha Kovacs’s
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/kovacs-alexandra-sasha.php>
virtual classroom. Kovacs has used the necessity of teaching on Zoom as
an opportunity to break traditional geographic restraints by bringing
prominent Canadian theatre artists from across the country to share
their work and experiences directly with students.

Guest artists include the recently Siminovitch Prize-nominated
<https://siminovitchprize.com/the-prize/2020-2/finalists/> playwright
and director Tara Beagan <https://tarabeagan.com>(shown left) of the
Indigenous arts company Article 11 <http://article11.ca>; as well as the
previous Siminovitch recipient <https://siminovitchprize.com/>,
director, creator and mentor, Maiko Yamamoto
<https://theatrereplacement.org/company/> of Theatre Replacement
<https://theatrereplacement.org>; and artistic producer and director
Cole Alvis <http://www.lemontreecreations.ca/about> of the
Dora-nominated queer theatre company lemonTree creations
<http://www.lemontreecreations.ca> and manidoons collective
<https://www.manidoons.com>; the founding artistic director and
disability advocate James Sanders <https://realwheels.ca/staff-board/>
of Realwheels Theatre <https://realwheels.ca>); and Dora Mavor Moore
Award-winning director and dramaturge Nina Lee Aquino
<http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=Aquino, Nina Lee> (show
below right) of Factory Theatre <https://www.factorytheatre.ca>.
<http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=Aquino, Nina Lee>

Kovacs worked with Belfry Theatre Artistic Director Michael Shamata to
integrate the previous in-person Belfry at UVic Series into her online
class this year.  Now in its third year, this series has brought over
two dozen visiting Belfry playwrights, directors, designers, actors
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/> and others into the
Phoenix to engage with our students—from some of Canada’s most
successful actors like Martha Burns and Benedict Campbell
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/news-events/belfryuvic-martha-burns-benedict-campbell/>,
to up-and-coming playwrights like Matthew MacKenzie
<http://www.punctuatetheatre.com/the-team> with his hit show /Bears
<https://www.belfry.bc.ca/bears/>/, and the much-lauded design team for
/The Ministry of Grace
<https://www.belfry.bc.ca/the-ministry-of-grace/#sp_copy>/, Andy Moro
<https://andymoro.com> and Jeff Chief
<http://article11.ca/?page_id=239>(which just won Victoria’s Critics’
Choice Outstanding Design Award).

/“Our Canadian Theatre History class is enriched enormously by the
inaugural digital version of the Belfry at UVic series,”/ says Kovacs./“Not
only do these conversations connect students to critical wisdom
regarding theatre creation today from some of the country’s most
celebrated artistic leaders, they also offer opportunities for students
to consider the ongoing legacy of performance histories that we discuss
and debate in class.”/

Likewise, technical theatre lab instructor Simon Farrow
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/pea/farrow-simon.php>
has embraced new technology for his lighting courses. The technology is
so new, the company Electronic Theatre Controls just releasedAugment3d
for EOS lighting consoles
<https://www.etcconnect.com/About/News/Eos-gets-Augment3d-with-the-release-of-Eos-v3-0.aspx>
this September. This software allows students to program and visualize
their lighting designs from their own computers. From teaching lighting
angles and colour mixing at the first-year level, to designing and
programming complex moving light rigs using a 3D model of the Roger
Bishop Theatre (shown right) for his third-year students, Augment3d is
helping to bring student’s work to life in this virtual world.

When planning distanced classes for the fall, Farrow was excited about
the new software that could make sure our technical students would not
miss out on this important opportunity. /“Focusing on 3D modeling and
programming using visualization now will help our students keep right on
track when we can work together in the theatre again,”/ says Farrow.

      Season: Planning for Spring of 2021

The department is looking towards the spring of 2021 with hopeful plans
of offering a shortened season for our audiences—even if it's only over
the internet. It’s essential that we can produce plays so that our
third- and fourth-year students can earn the necessary performance,
design and production credits required for their degrees. Currently, our
faculty directors are reviewing a play for each year’s class “bubble”
that allows for distancing during the performance and rehearsal process.
Please stay tuned for further developments!
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixaudiencesurvey>

      Send us your feedback!

In the meantime, as we plan for the spring, we want to hear from you
about your preferences for attending a play at the Phoenix, whether in
person or streaming online. Your guidance will help us develop our plans
for next term. Thank you!

  * *Click here to fill-in the short four-question survey. *
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixaudiencesurvey>

We also rely on the support of our regular ticket holders and donors to
offset the costs of making theatre. These costs, while different this
year, will not be any less than previous years. Please consider
supporting the Phoenix as you might have previously, so the quality of
our students’ education can be maintained through these trying times.

  * *Click here to make a online donation online now.
    <https://extrweb.uvic.ca/phoenix-theatre>*

*Questions? *
Our box office is open with shortened hours to help answer questions,
help with the survey, or accept donations over the phone. Hours are
listed on the voice mail at *250-721-8000.*

      *News: New grant helps the Phoenix stage equality*

The Department of Theatre is excited to announce that we have received a
$64,000 grant from UVic’s Strategic Framework
<https://www.uvic.ca/strategicframework/index.php>Impact Fund that will
assist with initiatives to improve the equity, diversity and inclusion
in the educational, research, community outreach, and programing
opportunities at the Phoenix.

The theatre department also recently formed a committee that has
already started initial work on an anti-racism plan for the department.

Under the stewardship of Profs. Yasmine Kandil
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/kandil-yasmine.php>
and Sasha Kovacs
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/kovacs-alexandra-sasha.php>—in
collaboration with seven other departments and units on campus—the three
year project entitled “Staging Equality: anti-racism & de-colonization
through arts-based community engagement” will help connect the campus to
the wider Victoria community to enhance conversations and exposure to
theatre and the arts on issues relating to race, diversity and inclusion.

“While traditional theatre production is currently restricted by the
COVID-19 pandemic,” says Dr. Kovacs, “we can use this time to lead
important conversations and re-imagine how theatre can address issues
pertaining to systemic racism, the meaning of diversity, actionable
equity, and Indigenization.”

Over the three-year project, this initiative will create paid
opportunities for students, artists, and community members within and
beyond the UVic campus and will culminate in an outdoor theatre
performance led by an Indigenous artist-in-residence (in collaboration
with students and faculty) that addresses the Indigenous histories of
the land on which UVic resides.

“By the project’s end, we will have also created a collaborative
interdisciplinary team, composed of students, interdepartmental faculty
and community partners, and developed and tested news way of working for
one of UVic’s most community-engaged and experiential learning
programs,” says Dr. Kandil.

Drs. Kovacs and Kandil send thanks to colleagues in Curriculum &
Instruction <https://www.uvic.ca/education/curriculum/index.php> (Dr.
Monica Prendergast); English (Dr. Sheila Rabillard); First People’s
House <https://www.uvic.ca/services/indigenous/house/> (Dr. Robina
Thomas); Gender Studies
<https://www.uvic.ca/humanities/gender/index.php> (Dr. Christine Sy);
Psychology <https://www.uvic.ca/socialsciences/psychology/index.php>
(Dr. Catherine Costigan); Visual Arts
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/visualarts/index.php> (Professor Carey
Newman); and Writing <https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/writing/> (Professor
Maureen Bradley) for their partnership in this project.

      SPOOKY Halloween Events!

Theatre people LOVE the spooky season and our alumni have some scary
events for you to join in on the fun!

Theatre SKAM has relaunched their Pop-Up Theatre Home Delivery
<https://skam.ca/pop-up/>series with two new shows this fall. Recent
alumna*Olivia Wheeler’s <https://www.oliviagwheeler.com> (BFA ’20)*
original story, /The Quest for the Moon,/ uses beautiful shadow puppetry
to tell the story of a young fox who embarks on a journey to find his
best friend, the Moon. /Silly & Scary Stories/ tells spooky folktales
using shadow play. Pop-Up shows can be booked to come to you, October
23-31, 2020, during 15-minute slots from 6:30-9:30pm.

Through his role in the Parliamentary Education Office
<https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/educational-programs-workshops> in
BC’s Legislature, alumnus *Nicholas Guerreiro (BFA ‘18)* has organized a
special spooky online event featuring a visitation with the spirit of
famed architect Francis Rattenbury to explore the legislature’s eeriest
tales, from a vanishing house, to the premier’s double, to the strange
secrets of the piano-playing speaker. Rattenbury may also tell the tale
of his own demise! Written and performed live daily by Guerreiro, tune
in for this free event daily at 2pm or 7pm until October 30
<https://www.leg.bc.ca/content-peo/Pages/Special-Programs.aspx>.

Blue Bridge Theatre <https://bluebridgetheatre.ca> is resurrecting Bram
Stoker’s iconic novel, /Dracula/ with an adaptation by Theatre professor
*Brian Richmond
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/richmond-brian.php>*
for an online reading that includes alumni *Victor Dolhai**(BFA ’07)**,
Kholby Wardell**(BFA ’08)**, Laura-Jane Tresidder**(BFA ’15)**, Paul
Fauteux **(BFA ’94) *and previous student *Jacob Richmond*. Readings are
in two parts (“In Black” and “In White”) running October 29 -31.

Alumni *Mack Gordon (BFA ’08) *and *Ming Hudson (BFA ’07) *have teamed
up to perform in a virtual audio drama of /A War of the Worlds
<https://vimeo.com/465021431>/ that Gordon helped adapt from the novel
by HG Wells. Set in 2021 in Chicago (where Gordon’s company Theatre in
the Dark <https://www.theatreinthedark.com> is located), the online
production includes performers from Vancouver, Chicago, and New Orleans
and runs until November 21 at 6pm (PST). Gordon, now living back in
Vancouver during the pandemic, was recently interviewed by Vancouver
Presents.
<https://www.vancouverpresents.com/theatre/a-war-of-the-worlds-will-play-out-from-across-north-america/>

*Charles Ross (BFA ’98) *will perform his one-man parody of the hit
Netflix series /Stranger Things /both streaming online and in person as
a fundraiser for his friends and co-alumni at Theatre SKAM. /One Man
Stranger Things (A Parody) <https://skam.ca/one-man-stranger-things/>/
runs live on November 6 online, however, for every $20 donated prior to
November 5 <https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/53195>, you will be
entered to win exclusive in-house tickets for the live show.

      Phoenix Phacts: Alumni Appointments, Awards, and Opportunities

<https://vimeo.com/447236203>Congratulations to recent grad *Taiwo
Afolabi (PhD ‘20)* for his appointment to the University of Regina’s
Faculty of Media, Art and Performance
<https://www.uregina.ca/mediaartperformance/> as assistant professor of
Socially Engaged Creative Practices. In August, he appeared on the OMNI
TV program /New Canadians/ <https://newcanadians.tv/omni/>as part of a
panel discussion on how his experience as a UVic Crossing Borders
Scholar provided opportunities to find connections in the community. He
also spoke as part of the Creative Mornings series about the artistic
process entitled “Stress: To Peel or Not to Peel?”
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZztJU5SFg> Taiwo leaves Victoria as
well as his position as the Manager of Artistic and Community Engagement
with the Belfry Theatre, but not before sitting down for avideo chat
with artistic director Michael Shamata <https://vimeo.com/447236203>
about his time at the Belfry.

Watch for alumna *Emily Piggford
<https://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/bio/emily-piggford> (BFA’11)* on your TV
screens this fall as she plays Esther Ishikawa, the excessively
efficient forensic accountant in CBC’s latest hit miniseries /The Sounds
<https://fb.watch/1gaqq7fIRG/>/. <https://fb.watch/1gaqq7fIRG/>
<https://gem.cbc.ca/season/the-sounds/season-1/e0a6d698-da34-47c6-ba3c-83c2cbf5ee06?cmp=DM_SEM_THESOUNDS>Emily
traveled to New Zealand last year to shoot this psychological thriller
that you can also watch on CBC Gem. You may also recognize Emily from
her roles in /The Umbrella Academy/, /Warigami,/ or /That’s My DJ./ You
can watch The Sounds online for free on CBC Gem
<https://gem.cbc.ca/season/the-sounds/season-1/e0a6d698-da34-47c6-ba3c-83c2cbf5ee06?cmp=DM_SEM_THESOUNDS>.

The Belfry Theatre’s Incubator program
<https://www.belfry.bc.ca/2020-new-incubator-program-biographies/>
encourages and nurtures local theatre artists to develop new works, and
this year they have expanded to include as many artists as possible.
We’re proud to see many current Theatre students and alumni as part of
this program, including *Hannah Mariko Bell* *(BFA ’19),* Bragi Theatre
<https://www.facebook.com/BragiTheatre/> (including *Nicholas Guerreiro
(BFA ’18)*, *Annie Konstantinova, *and*Julie McGuire*); Impulse Theatre
<http://www.impulsetheatre.ca> (with *Andrew Barrett (BFA ’12)
*and*Patricia Reilly (BFA ’11)*); The Fear Projects (with *Molly
Beatrice (BFA ’19), Emily Hay (BFA ’20), Hailee Jake Friesen (BFA ’20),
*and*Alexander Moorman (BFA ’20)*); Collectivus Theatre
<https://www.facebook.com/CollectivusT/> (with Ellery Lamm (Writing MFA)
and *Anna Marie Anderson (BFA ’18)*); and Rage Sweater Theatre
<https://www.facebook.com/RageSweaterTheatre/>(with previous students
*Monica Ogden *and*K.P Dennis*). Victoria can anticipate an amazing
array of interesting projects that will grow out of this important
initiative. Thanks Belfry!

This summer, current student *Justin Francis Lee *began assisting as the
Project Coordinator for The Canadian Play Thing.
<https://www.plaything.ca> Instigated in March by alumna and playwright
*Janet Munsil (BFA’ 89)*, The Canadian Play Thing has presented 60 live
readings with more than 300 actor-readers. This fall they partnered with
Intrepid Theatre and UVic Coop to further support his role, for which
Justin has developed new programs like The Apartment of Writing
<https://www.plaything.ca/apartmentofwriting>, where four UVic writing
grads developed a script for the four-episode audio-drama called /A Way
Out/ (which will be recorded in November) as well as the
Playwright2Playwright
<https://www.plaything.ca/playwright-to-playwright>series, where
emerging and established playwrights read from their work and interview
each other (supported by the Playwrights Guild of Canada
<https://playwrightsguild.ca>). Theatre alumna *Lauren Frost* *(BFA
’20)* has also been assisting The Canadian Play Thing as the Outreach
Coordinator.

Congrats to Theatre SKAM <https://skam.ca> for winning the CRD Arts
Commission Regional Impact Award at this fall’s Victoria Regional Arts
Awards
<https://proartalliance.wordpress.com/2020-greater-victoria-regional-arts-awards/>
for their amazing outdoor SKAMpede Festival.
<https://skam.ca/skampede2020/> This $5000 prize, recognizing
outstanding impact made by a local festival, event, or organization, was
presented to their Production Manager and recent alumnus *Logan Swain
(BFA ’20) *(shown below). A special thank you to Phoenix alum, SKAM’s
Artistic Producer *Matthew Payne (BFA ’93) *for making an impact on so
many Phoenix alumni by hiring and mentoring dozens and dozens of our
theatre artists over
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tptWSaUoma4&feature=emb_err_woyt>SKAM's
25-years history.

Other awards given out at the October 3rd online event
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tptWSaUoma4&feature=emb_err_woyt>include
two Critics’ Choice Awards for Theatre Inconnu’s production of /Curious
Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time/
<https://www.theatreinconnu.com/2020/01/the-curious-incident-of-the-dog-in-the-night-time/>
with alumnus *Clayton Jevne* as Artistic Director and The Amplify Award
to Atomic Vaudeville <https://atomicvaudeville.com> with alumni *Britt
Small (BFA’98 / MFA ’04) *and previous student*Jacob Richmond*.

Also at the Victoria Regional Arts Awards, *Acting Dean, Allana
Lindgren*
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/lindgren-allana.php>
announced the creation of the Faculty of Fine Arts Student Community
Impact Award by the Dean’s External Advisory Committee (DEAC). This
annual award recognizes a full-time undergraduate student in Fine
Arts who demonstrates either exceptional individual achievement or an
outstanding effort within a local arts organization. Our faculty and
readers of this eNews will be aware that our Fine Arts students play an
important role in Victoria's arts scene and many begin or live out their
professional careers here in Victoria.

And for even more awards, at the 17th annual Victoria Book Prizes
ceremony <http://victoriabookprizes.ca/winners/>, Theatre and Writing
alumnus and current Writing instructor *Mark Leiren-Young
<http://leiren-young.com> (BFA ’85)* won the Children’s Book Prize for
/Orcas Everywhere: The Mystery and History of Killer Whales
<https://www.orcabook.com/Orcas-Everywhere-P4320.aspx>/.

      Connect with the Phoenix Theatre
      <https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/>*<https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/>*

Don't forgot to join, like and follow us on *Facebook, *
<https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/> *Twitter
<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>* or *Instagram*
<https://www.instagram.com/phoenixtheatreuvic/>** – for more Phoenix,
alumni and theatre-based stories.

      Supporting our Students Kudos:

An amazingly huge THANK YOU to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual
donors <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate
sponsors for their support of our programs and talented students! Find
out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

© University of Victoria 2020