[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS> Thank you! | New Season | Online Art Connections

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Tue May 5 18:04:53 PDT 2020

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	May 2020 • Act 14 Scene 1

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Thank you!

First and foremost, the faculty, staff and students of the Department of
Theatre hope that you and yours are healthy and safe.

We all know that these are unprecedented times, and although the
cancellation of our spring production of /The Children’s Hour/ due to
the COVID-19 pandemic was heartbreaking for actors, designers, and
audience members alike, we know it was prudent and the right decision to
make for the safety and welfare of everyone involved.

We thank you kindly for your understanding, and we were overwhelmed with
the gracious and heart-warming support by so many ticket holders that
donated a total of $16,733 in ticket refunds back to the Phoenix Theatre.

THANK YOU so much! These funds helped to cover the costs of building
sets and costumes for this beautiful show that so few were actual able
to experience.

      2020-21 Season:

Initially, we had five wonderful and exciting plays lined up to offer
you next season. However, with so much in flux, we are cautiously
waiting to launch our new season. We are all aware that society will
have to adapt to new customs to keep everyone safe, and theatre is no
different.

The Department of Theatre is working closely with the University of
Victoria and the advice of public health officials to determine if we
will be able to offer plays to the public next season and what that
season may look like. It may require us to offer less plays, accommodate
less audience members, or we may only be able to include audience
members in our students’ educational experience in some online or
virtual way this year.

We hope to learn more soon and will be contacting subscribers and
regular attendees directly when we have further information. Hold tight
and keep connected with us via social media until we can be together and
share in our students’ youth, talent and energy on stage once again.

*Contact us:*
Please note that our campus Box Office is currently closed*, *however,
our Audience Services Manager, Sandra Guerreiro, is working safely at
home and can be reached by leaving a voice message at 250-721-8003 or
emailing her at sguerrei at uvic.ca <mailto:sguerrei at uvic.ca>.

      Support our students:

Participating in the process of creating theatre is fundamental to our
students’ education – whether or not our audience members are are able
to witness the end result. Your support assists with the expenses of
making theatre and helps us maintain this essential part of our
curriculum for our students. Or, consider giving directly to the
students who are struggling during this crisis.

  * Donate online to the Phoenix Theatre
    <https://extrweb.uvic.ca/phoenix-theatre>

  * Contribute to the student COVID-19 Emergency Bursary
    <https://www.uvic.ca/givingtouvic/ways/covid-19/index.php>

      Check out our online archives:
      <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/archive/>

While you can’t be with us at the Phoenix right now, you can look back
on our past shows in our online
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/archive/> archives
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/archive/>. Pick a season and
a show and scroll down to see the photo gallery... including the full
gallery for our cancelled performance of */The Children's Hour
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2019-20/children/>/*
March with gorgeous photos by Dean Kalyan. <https://deankalyan.com>

      Phoenix Phacts: Online Activities, Readings, Performances & More

With our theatres and theatres everywhere standing empty right now,
artists across the world are still busy writing new material,
workshopping new plays and live streaming performances. Their art is
greatly needed in the world today and is helping to bring solace during
troubling times.

Phoenix alumni are also creating, performing, and participating in
online streaming activities. Here's a few places to watch so you can
connect with these artists.

      *Fine Arts Connector <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/stories/>*

The Fine Art's blog has transformed over the last month or so to become
the go-to place for arts news, music performances, student book and play
readings, and lectures on everything from art history to theatre. New
issues of */The Fine Arts Connector/* are posted just in time for the
weekend each week, so check back often. In the meantime, listen or watch
these lectures from some of our past plays or guest artists in the Orion
Series in Fine Arts.

Here are some theatre highlights from the past few issues:

  * *WEEK 6: *
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/23/the-connector-week-6/>*/Creative
    Placemaking: /
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/23/the-connector-week-6/>*
    A video of a panel lecture with Nathan Medd (Banff Centre for the
    Arts), Janet Munsil (Playwright and previous Artistic Producer of
    Intrepid Theatre and Victoria Fringe) and Kevin Kerr (UVic Writing
    Professor, playwright and Co-founder of Vancouver’s Electric
    Company), moderated by Ian Case. (scroll to very bottom of post)

  * *WEEK 5: *
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/23/the-connector-week-6/>/*The
    Drama of Working Across Difference*/
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/23/the-connector-week-5-2/>
    with Marcus Youssef, playwright, writer and Artistic Director with
    introduction by Prof. Kevin Kerr (scroll to very bottom of post)

  * *WEEK 3: */*Seven Stories about 7 Stories */
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/08/the-connector-week-3/>a
    lecture by Theatre & Writing alumnus Mark Leiren-Young, playwright,
    journalist, author, filmmaker and podcast creator who discusses the
    significance, history and secret origins of Morris Panych's
    masterpiece "7 Stories" during the play's 30th anniversary. (scroll
    down to third to last story)

  * *WEEK 3: *
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/08/the-connector-week-3/>/*Comic
    Potential, sci-fi and speculative fiction*/
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2020/04/23/the-connector-week-5-2/>
    a lecture by UVic Sociology adjunct professor Dr. Edwin Hodge about
    the importance of sci-fi and other speculative fiction in exploring
    the human condition. (scroll down to second to last story)

      *UVic: The Great Indoors
      <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/><https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/>*

Looking for some inspiration? Maybe physical break to keep healthy, or
maybe a mental break from your day in your new at-home office. Check out
the University of Victoria's *The Great Indoors*, a place to experience
the vibrancy of UVic’s active academic community several different
categories with lots of fun stories:

  * thought provoking knowledge in the Brain Box
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/brain-box/>,

  * quick doses of joy in Buckets of Sunshine
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/buckets-of-sunshine/>,

  * opportunities to take a virtual Community Coffee Break
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/community-coffee-break/>,

  * links to concerts, performances and other artistic endeavours in the
    Culture Club
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/culture-club/>,

  * activities for families to do at home during a Digital Recess
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/digital-recess/>,

  * and resources to help you nurture both Heart & Soul
    <https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/thegreatindoors/category/heart-and-soul/>**

With so many inspiring stories, The Great Indoors hopes to help you and
your family flourish during these times of self-isolation.

      National Arts Centre #CanadaPerforms
      <https://nac-cna.ca/en/canadaperforms>

The National Arts Centre in Ottawa is collaborating with sponsors to
support artists during the pandemic and bring their incredible talents
to the screens of the nation. With $700,000 of short-term funding going
directly to participating artists through a $1000 grant, artists are
presenting their plays, music, book and poem readings, children's
entertainment and workshops by live streaming on their own Facebook
pages and through the NAC's social media. Several Phoenix artists are
coming up in May. Watch for:

  * *Still/Falling <https://nac-cna.ca/en/event/26420>*
    presented by Green Thumb Theatre (by Rachel Aberle) with video
    design by alumnus Cameron Fraser, on Thursday, May 7.

  * *Destiny, USA <https://nac-cna.ca/en/event/26489>*
    by almuna Laura Anne Harris (shown right) on Wednesday May 13 at
    11:30pm (PST) (Note that this show was presented at the Belfry's
    Spark Fest briefly this spring.)

  * *Epidermis Circus <https://nac-cna.ca/en/event/26493>*
    by SNAFU Society of Unexpected Spectacles, featuring alumna Ingrid
    Hansen and Kathleen Greenfield, on Thursday, May 14 at 7pm (PST)

      The Canadian Play Thing
      <https://www.plaything.ca><https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102473116764811/>

The brain child of Phoenix alumna and playwright Janet Munsil, *The
Canadian Play Thing* is an incredible initiative that shares live
readings of new and under-produced Canadian plays online, helping the
theatre community across Canada to connect and celebrate our
playwrights. New or new-ish works can be submitted to be read (a crucial
element in new play development) and audiences can join in and
watch/listen along. Plays by several alumni are coming up, but many of
the actors/readers and stage management team are also students or alumni
so there will definitely be faces you might recognize!

  * *Spin the Bottle <https://www.facebook.com/events/238994000639265/>*
    by recent grad Ciaran Volke on Saturday, May 9 at 7:30pm (PST)

  * *Chrysothemis <https://www.facebook.com/events/555126035142377/>*
    by almuna Meg Braem on Sunday, May 10 at 2pm (PST)

      Phoenix Theatre Facebook Page
      <https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/>*<https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/>*

And don't forgot to join us and like and follow on *Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/UVicPhoenixTheatre/> – or *Twitter
<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>* or *Instagram*
<https://www.instagram.com/phoenixtheatreuvic/>** – for more Phoenix,
alumni and theatre-based stories.

      Sponsor Kudos:<https://productioncanada.com>

An amazingly huge THANK YOU to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual
donors <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate
sponsors for their support of our programs and talented students!

A SUPER special thank you to this season's /Production Resource Partner,
/*Production Canada <https://productioncanada.com>* whose support this
year has helped our designer's visions be realized on stage.

A REALLY BIG thank you also goes out to our long-time supporters and
neighbours in the *Cadboro Bay Village*
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com> including: *For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's Foods
<http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2020