[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > Trojan Women opening, photos and lecture

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Thu Feb 14 18:56:52 PST 2019

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	Winter 2019 • Act 12 Scene 4

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews:

    */Trojan Women takes us back to the
    war that begat all wars/*

/By John Threlfall/

It’s an ironic contradiction of the human condition that the only thing
as timeless as war is our simultaneous desire for peace. Sadly, this
makes Phoenix Theatre’s mainstage production of */Trojan Women/* as
current as when it was first performed in 415 BCE.

/“The play is as relevant as this morning’s Twitter feed,”/ says
director and Department of Theatre professor Jan Wood. /“Turn on the
news and you’ll find another instance of Trojan Women being played out
in the world.”/

Running from February 14 to 23, Euripides’ tragedy and classic anti-war
play follows the perspective of the wives, mothers and daughters of the
defeated Trojan warriors as they struggle with grief, uncertainty and,
ultimately, courage while their fates are decided by the conquering
Greeks.//

/“I like to think art has the power to change things, but this play
proves that it hasn’t,”/ admits Wood. /“If we’re not learning the lesson
that war is bad, then it must be teaching us how remarkable our ability
to survive is.” /

Apart from Wood and movement director Treena Stubel, who is both a
Phoenix alumna and current instructor with Theatre, this production of
/*Trojan Women*/ is firmly in the hands of the next generation of
theatre artists, thanks to the 27-person all-student team of cast, crew
and designers.

/“They know what’s happening in the world. They’ve seen the images and
they’ve incorporated the power of that loss into the piece,”/ says the
director. /“Young people today are at the forefront of enacting real
change in the world. Our survival depends upon it.” /

Wood feels the intentionally timeless war-torn set and costume design
helps the nearly 2,500-year-old play feel current for today’s audiences.
/“When I see those boatloads of Syrians coming onto the shore, I think
about refugees wandering with no destination, being forced out by war,”
/she says.

/“One of the things I’ve tried to do with this production is talk about
the resilience of the human spirit, and its ability to move forward: how
do we go on when our families have been devastated? How do we walk
forward into the future? How do we survive?” /

A performance professor with Theatre since 1996, and an accomplished
actor and director in her own right—many will recognize Wood from her
on-stage work at the Belfry, Blue Bridge Theatre, Bard on the Beach or
the Stratford Festival—this show actually marks Wood’s directorial debut
at the Phoenix. //

/“I am definitely an actor’s director,” /she says./“I try to create an
atmosphere where people have the freedom to create and follow their
instincts. /

/Theatre is a collaborative art form: during rehearsals, the more my
actors feel comfortable giving, the more I have to work with, and the
easier my job becomes. After all, that’s why we got into this
business—because we have instincts, a creative desire and a passion, and
we need to trust that.” /

Ultimately, however, Wood feels the real impact of Trojan Women
shouldn’t be felt on the stage. /“As the audience, we bear witness, not
only to lives lost but to the capacity of humanity to move forward in
times of great darkness.” /

*PHOTOS:*/Photography for the Phoenix Theatre production of *Trojan
Women* is by Dean Kalyan <https://deankalyan.com> with thanks./ See more
photos on our Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/pg/UVicPhoenixTheatre/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2197180813671160&__xts__[0]=68.ARCD2AlnA3N-SCVJTDoGHDHmmIYlKfdhPkydb6TkCxpxF388ptIzQAeccBKMrnIlIUGLYHq2GRa1Wyjxu8Ipas0od7l4MJPzH6_yxNVFzDo5xGe1ygars9Nn5Fv1sCpBfAL3qCpxA3T2NLcB8S3n0PFmR0tMV1gDonvVKM8fAYTA7c_3SDZixXuQ-8z5PWjEH1TrS_jFTNlxlF7TtjWrFKxsbkMR_e9xs1roxLtsTzUigRWcFpY3prda2VFMSoEnin61ff5JK-QS89GvAZBbRP2SXpynM8RU44NIy65wr1xImf1yTBLxunns9-27fOwHekbo-IFNaHIK0qUEj9q85tLzsCK61p4SqvHAegLlHfw9wHi_hr9sIFcl7ebStKHA-O0rsTI7SqmC_rvh93ed4uzl0dWrmPyURvU7x9uLBUTmimcabvfEhh5GeqUCuZohkf4FAnI72Dz6CGEOtu0HlnD-_9xQMQGr9iIVN94Ve1fK1VSLcYZUdpQhHdCpqtNZEp0JlxLRh9l8OKHVAj9hxUMxgI9iyr7vQcI9Z5T7a3w8QW1TGKGp7whaGFUP&__tn__=-UCH-R>.

      Phoenix Phacts:

*Alumni! What are you up to? *Send your alumni stories, updates and show
projects to phoenixalumni at uvic.ca <mailto:phoenixalumni at uvic.ca>. Or
submit <https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixalumnisurvey/biography/>
your <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> bio online.
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> Our new website will be
updated more Alumni Profiles in the spring. Send your information to be
included!

      Upcoming Phoenix Events:

<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-offline/trojan-women/>

*TROJAN WOMEN
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-offline/trojan-women/>**February
14 – 23, 2019
*By Euripides, Translation by Alan Shapiro
Director Jan Wood
Set Design Matthew Wilkerson
Costume Designer Sasha Lazin
Lighting Designer Jaxun Maron
Sound Designer Logan Swain
Movement Director Treena Stubel
Stage Manager Bethany Bendall

A story as ancient as antiquity itself, and as relevant as this
morning's Twitter feed. Set against the brutal aftermath of the Trojan
War, this classic Greek anti-war play shifts our focus away from the
conquerors to tell the story from the perspective of the vanquished
wives, mothers, and daughters. How can hope prevail while they struggle
with grief and uncertainty as the victors decide their fate?

BOX OFFICE: Tickets on sale now: $26 Discounts on weekdays & matinees:
Students $16, Seniors $21. Call 250-721-8000.

*Friday, February 15, 2019 at 7:00pm *
*LECTURE:/Trojan Women: Heroes & their Victims/
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-offline/trojan-women/>*
FREE preshow public lecture
with Dr. Laurel Bowman
<https://www.uvic.ca/humanities/greekroman/faculty/bowmanlaurel.php>
UVic Department of Greek & Roman Studies

In /Trojan Women/, Euripides shows us the consequences of war for
defenceless non-combatants. The play was first performed during the
thirty-year war between Athens and Sparta, before a largely military
Athenian audience. Why did Euripides choose to produce this play, at
this time, before this audience? How will that audience have reacted to
the play? And how should we understand it ourselves?

*7 STORIES
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2018-19/7-stories/>March
14 – 23, 2019
Preview: March 12
*Written by Morris Panych

Director Fran Gebhard
Set Design Ken MacDonald
Design Adaptation Conor Farrell
Costume Design Bryce Butkiewicz
Lighting Design Harry Zhe Lin
Sound Design Olivia Wheeler
Stage Manager Kelsey Ward *

*Fast-paced and full of eccentric characters, this sophisticated satire
takes place on the window ledge of a seven-storey building where a man
is contemplating suicide. Endlessly interrupted by a variety of quirky
building residents, he becomes drawn into the absurdity of their daily
lives. So self-absorbed are his neighbours, that no one even bothers to
ask why he’s out there! This quick-witted, dark comedy will have you
philosophizing about life and death, right up to its existential
conclusion. Written by the award-winning Canadian playwright Morris
Panych 30 years ago this year, /7 Stories/ is the winner of six Jessie
Awards, including Outstanding Original Play. *
*

BOX OFFICE: Tickets go on sale March 5: $26 Discounts on weekdays &
matinees: Students $16, Seniors $21. Call 250-721-8000.

*Friday, February 15, 2019 at 7:00pm *
*LECTURE: Seven Stories about /*7** Stories*/
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season/trojan-women/>*
FREE preshow public lecture
with Mark Leiren-Young
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/writing/people/sessionals/profiles/leiren-young-mark.php> Sessional
Instructor
UVic Department of Writing

Award-winning Victoria playwright Mark Leiren-Young
<http://leiren-young.com/> talks about the significance, history and
secret origins of Morris Panych’s modern masterpiece /7 Stories/ in
celebration of the play’s 30th anniversary. Mark is currently teaching
humour writing and TV writing at UVic.

*<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>/Want
//more alumni updates? /*Check out the Alumni Profiles
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/alumni/profiles/index.php>area of
our website.Email your updates <mailto:phoenixalumni at uvic.ca> to us to
be posted here in future eNews.

*<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*Follow the most recent department and
alumni stories by liking us on*Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

      Sponsor Kudos:

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students!

Thanks also to our supporters over the past year from the *Cadboro Bay
Village Business Association* <http://www.cadborobayvillage.com>
including: *For Good Measure <http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's
Foods <http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2018

@UVic Newsletter