[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > New Season & annual Phoenix Fringe round up!

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Wed Aug 21 10:04:32 PDT 2019

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	August 2019 • Act 13 Scene 1

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Annual Phoenix Fringe round up!

Ever wondered why the UVic's Department of Theatre gets SOOOO excited
about the annual line up in the Victoria International Fringe Festival
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>? Year after
year, this event is a homecoming of sorts for Phoenix alumni that return
to the town of their Alma Mater. Fringe is an amazing spring board from
university to the theatre industry for many performers, writers,
designers, technicians and stage management and it often includes a show
that was born right here with our Student Alternative Theatre Company
<https://www.facebook.com/uvicsatco/> (this year it's/Money on the
Table/). The 2019 Fringe sees almost 50 Phoenixers involved in 14 shows
(and several Fringe events) See the full list below.

Behind the Scenes: *Phoenix launches 53rd season with Fringe favourite
and 5X "Best of Fest" winner!
*

Great theatre always transcends a story’s political, social and economic
context to speak to the human condition — and this season, the Phoenix
is exploring ageless plays that continue to speak to today’s world. From
lighthearted comedy to searing drama, the Department of Theatre
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/index.php>‘s 2019/20 mainstage
season <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/> is telling stories
we can use to make sense of the world we live in.**

It all kicks off in the fall with the annual Spotlight on Alumni
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/alumni/spotlight/index.php>, this
year featuring *Sam Mullins* <https://samsmullins.com/> (BFA ’08) and
with several solo monologues entitled: /*Weaksauce and Other Stories*/
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2019-20/weaksauce/>**(October
9-19, 2019). Written and performed by this two-time Canadian Comedy
Award-winner, Mullins has been described as a “master storyteller”
(/Winnipeg Free Press/) and the ”Stuart McLean of the millennial
generation” (/Toronto Star/).

/A Spotlight on Alumni presentation sponsored
by:/
<https://www.solutionsinsurance.com/uvic>

/Weaksauce/ is the story of the summer Mullins turned 16 and left home
to work as a camp counselor . . . only to be blindsided by the first
great romance of his life. This achingly angsty and tender coming-of-age
story is a comedy of first times, second chances and third wheels. Now,
half a lifetime (and an incalculable number of romances) later, Sam will
also premiere a new story about the bleary-eyed joys of fatherhood that
continues to bring his unflinching honesty, vulnerability and big laughs
to this latest work. Add in two short, 10-minute-long story slam
versions of his other award-winning shows, /Tinfoil Dinosaur /and /The
Untitled Sam Mullins Project, /and you've got a best hits of Mullin's
"Best of Fringe"-winning works that /Now Magazine/ called /"Fresh, funny
and heart-poundingly alive.”/

**Following the Spotlight on Alumni is Shakespeare’s classic /*Othello*/
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2019-20/othello/>
(November 7-23, 2019), presented at the Phoenix Theatre for the first
time in its 53-year history. Although /Othello/ was written over 400
years ago, its disturbing portrait of a world infused with racial
politics, misogynist social structures and treacherous friendships makes
it feel like it’s been ripped from today’s headlines.

/“Although undoubtedly one of Shakespeare’s greatest plays, Othello is
fascinating to approach in an era where our theatre culture has become
so intensely interested in the question of diversity,”/ says Theatre
professor and the play's director *Brian Richmond
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/richmond-brian.php>*.
/“As controversial as it is brilliant, my hope is that we will build a
production that tackles the question of ‘Is Othello a racist play?’ with
openness and integrity.”/

**In the play, characters Othello and Desdemona are lovers from very
different worlds: Othello a mighty General from a foreign land;
Desdemona a beautiful Senator’s daughter. They marry, undeterred by the
prejudices that surround them. But no sooner are their vows sealed than
their love is put to the test, as bigotry, envy and jealousy begin to
pull them apart. Playing on Othello’s insecurities as an outsider in a
predominantly white society, the charming but envious Iago—an Ensign and
a trusted advisor—stokes the flames of his commanding officer’s jealous
nature. In doing so, Iago brings both the lovers, and the world they
live in, to the point of utter collapse. In its raw emotions and
ruthless politics, Othello remains an ageless and poignant tragedy.

After the winter break, the Phoenix is back with/*Comic Potential* /
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2019-20/comic/>by
Alan Ayckbourn (February 13-22, 2020), directed by Theatre professor
*Conrad Alexandrowicz*
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/alexandrowicz-conrad.php>.

Considered one of the funniest and most inventive plays by Britain’s
grandmaster of comedy (perhaps best known for /A Chorus of Disapproval/
out of his remarkable 79 plays), this romantic sci-fi satire is set in
the foreseeable future, when actors are replaced with convincingly
lifelike robots known as “actoids.” /**
/

/“Like all of Ayckbourn’s work, this is a finely crafted and very funny
comedy,” /says Alexandrowicz. /“To imagine a world where human actors
have been replaced by robots is both a hilarious send-up of the way
actors are perceived, but also an intriguing proposition: if what actors
do is to reproduce behavior, why not invent human-like equivalents to do
it with programmable precision and predictability?"/

/"The proposition is complicated by the fact that the actoid's work is
both better and worse than humans! They have all these hilarious
glitches, but it’s the malfunction of one of them that makes her both
more interesting as an actor who can offer something original to
performance.”/

//In */Comic Potential, /*Adam is an aspiring young writer who visits a
TV studio to meet his idol, Chandler, the director of a never-ending
hospital soap opera who was once a great movie director. On set, Adam
discovers the charming android Jacie Tripplethree (serial number JCF
31333) and realizes that the programming glitch that makes her laugh
hysterically also makes her more human. Adam and Chandler start
developing a new TV show for Jacie to star in, but the studio executives
aren’t convinced. Will Adam lose his heart to a robot? Will his show get
the green light? Will love prevail? In the age of today’s virtual online
assistants (like our "helpers" Alexa and Siri), this wickedly funny
satire from 1998 reads like a cautionary tale of the rise of artificial
intelligence.

**The season closes in March with Lillian Hellman’s classic drama, /*The
Children’s Hour*/
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/season-2019-20/children/> (March
12-21, 2020).

Directed by Theatre professor *Peter McGuire,*
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/people/profiles/faculty/mcguire-peter-j..php>/The
Children’s Hour/ is set at an all-girls boarding school in a small New
England town in the months preceding WWII.

In */The Children's Hour/*, a vengeful pupil whispers a rumour that the
school’s headmistresses—lifelong friends Karen and Martha—are having an
affair. It triggers a devastating chain of consequences, entangling
their entire school in this toxic story of deceit. At the peril of
destroying their careers, their relationships, and their lives, Karen
and Martha courageously risk public shame and fight for the truth to be
heard.

Written in 1934, Hellman’s potent exploration of the power of lies—and
the culture of fear which allows them to thrive—remains startlingly
relevant in our era of “fake news” and online deception.

*Subscribe & Save!
The best and most economical way to see great theatre is to subscribe to
a season of shows. Chose 3 or 4 show packages for $42.00 or $56.00.
Plus, subscribing gives you other useful perks like flexible free ticket
exchanges to other performances and discounts on extra tickets. Fill out
the online subscription form
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/mainstage/tickets/subscriptions/>or
call Sandra at 721-8003 (after September 3) to book.

      Phoenix Phacts: Your guide to Phoenix Fringers!
      <http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>

Whether acting, writing, directing, designing or managing backstage, our
alumni and students are always an integral part of the Victoria Fringe
Fest <http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>! Check out
the list of this year's Fringe shows involving Phoenixers.

**

*MONEY ON THE TABLE <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/money-on-the-table/>*
BUCKET HEAD PRODUCTIONS <https://www.bucketheadtheatre.com/projects> •
VICTORIA

Written and Produced by alumus Andrew Fraser

Director & Lighting Design: Annie Konstantinov, Producer & Sound
Designer: Logan Swain,  Costume Designer & Fight Choreographer: Lucien
Lum, Props: Christian Tervo, Stage Manager: Ashley Richter. Featuring
performances by Nicholas Atkinson, Nicholas Guerreiro, Julie McGuire and
Landon Wong.

/How far would you go to get your money back? Probably a question you
should ask before you find yourself staring at an unconscious stranger
taped to a chair. One trio of kidnappers is about to find out why in
this dark comedy of investment, revenge, and terrible people./

*SUMMER BUCKET LIST*
<https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/summer-bucket-list/>**
COLLECTIVUS THEATRE <https://www.facebook.com/CollectivusT/>
•VICTORIA

Written by UVic Writing MFA Candidate Ellery Lamm, Directed by alumna
Anna Marie Anderson

Sound Design: Aaron Smail, Lighting Design: Hina Nishioka, Stage
Manager: Devon Vecchio. Featuring performances by Arielle Parsons, Emily
Hay and UVic students Willa Hladun, Isaiah Adachi

/Zoey and Grace find a discarded summer bucket list during two weeks of
summer detention that includes items like “Lemonade stand” and “Give 2
blowjobs.” As they check off each item, they uncover difficult truths
about themselves and the women in their lives. From the creatives of
2018 Fringe winner, The Fitting Room, comes a celebration of teenage
girls and a validation of female rage. /

*** <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/destiny-usa/>DESTINY, USA
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/destiny-usa/>*
CONVECTION PRODUCTIONS <http://www.lauraanneharris.com> • SYRACUSE, NY

Created by alumna Laura Anne Harris

/A new show from the creator of the hit fringe show, Pitch Blonde!  When
Laura moves from Toronto to Syracuse, New York, she wasn’t expecting to
be residing in Trump’s America. Gaining her first job as a Relay
operator for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, causes her to question if she
can discover the hidden humanity of the American people./

*
THIS MAN IS AN ISLAND*
<https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/this-man-is-an-island/>
DREAD PIRATE PRODUCTIONS • VICTORIA

Created by previous student Evan Roberts

/A hot air balloon mishap leaves Evan stranded alone on a remote,
uninhabited island with a terrifying companion…his own mind! His
resourcefulness will be pushed to the limit as he struggles to survive
thirst, hunger, sunburn, boredom and existential angst, all the while
remaining fun to hang out with, just in case someone else shows up./
**

*
NEVERMORE <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/nevermore/>*
HAPAX THEATRE <https://hapaxtheatre.com> • VICTORIA

Featuring current student, Stage Manager Taylor Guidotti

/Edgar Allan Poe lies unconscious in a gutter, dreaming of the women who
shaped his life. But in the morning, will he wake to dawn or eternal
darkness? From the creative team behind /The Boy in the Chrysalis /(2018
Pick-of-the-Fringe Winner), /Nevermore /transforms the works of Poe into
haunting melodies about love, loss, and gothic longing/

**

*HOW TO PULL YOUR HEART
THROUGH YOUR THROAT
<https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/how-to-pull-your-heart/>*IMPULSE
THEATRE <http://www.impulsetheatre.ca> • VICTORIA

Directed by Andrew Barrett

Featuring performances by Chase Hiebert & Rachel Levy.

/In a dark vat, three creatures steeped in tar struggle to create
themselves. Does their need for validation keep them from being seen? A
collision of theatre, dance, poetry (and more!), Impulse Theatre’s
magically visceral “how-to” guide will leave you asking: What does my
heart really want to say?/

**

*ANTIGONES* <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/antigones/>*
*MAENAD'S THEATRE • VANCOUVER

Directed by previous student Luciana Silvestre Fernandes

Assistant Director and Sound design: Olivia Wheeler, Lighting Design:
Aubrey McNair, Stage Manager: Leah Anthony. (Co-sound Design on original
production in 2017: Logan Swain). Featuring performances by alumnae
Hailey Fowler, Shayla Pready and Taryn Yoneda

/A movement adaptation of Sophocles’ classic, /Antigone/, in this piece,
we turn to the other senses when words are not enough to express our
truth. Our focus is on the experience of being Antigone; her truth and
emotional journey as she defies the king to honour her fallen
brother...knowing it may cost her life./

**

*THE TROPHY HUNT* <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-trophy-hunt/>*
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/o-come-all-ye-faithful/>*OPEN PIT THEATRE
<http://openp.it/upcoming>• WHITEHORSE, YUKON

Co-Directed by almuna Celine Stubel

/A rolling world premiere being performed in five Canadian cities, The
Trophy Hunt is a dark comedy exploring who eats who in a world where
everything is observed, everything a zoo. Three unique characters
irrevocably affected by the business of Big Game Hunting share their
stories in a hidden location in Fan Tan Alley. Come on a hunt to stalk
something wild and dangerous…you just might find it!/

**

*LUB DUB <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/lub-dub/>*
RAGE SWEATER THEATRE PRODUCTIONS • VICTORIA

Featuring previous students: KP (Ann-Bernice Thomas), Monica Ogden

/A variety show for the marginalized, angry, unseen. /LUB DUB /is
unapologetic, political, fiercely entertaining. Centering experiences of
Black, Filipino, Queer, disabled, low income folks, /LUB DUB /invites
you to celebrate, collaborate, and smash white supremacy. /“I left
feeling recharged…I made monkey sounds and put pepper up my nose, but I
didn’t feel pressured to do it”/**/–/**Apt 613/

**

*FALSE PROFITS* <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/false-profits/>**
RANDOM SAMPLES COLLECTIVE <https://www.jeffleardcomedy.com> • VICTORIA

Created by alumus Jeff Leard
Directed by alumnus James Leard

/“Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did
to the false prophets.” (Luke 6:16) “I’m stanky rich. Imma die tryin’ to
spend this bitch.” (50 Cent) Jeff Leard takes aim at the super rich in
this brand new capitalist satire./ "5 Stars!" - Edmonton Journal

** <http://www.victoriafringe.com/shows/v3/>*PIPPIN
<https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/pippin/>*
St. Michaels University Music Theatre Intensive
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/band-geeks/>performed at St. Michaels
University School <https://www.smus.ca>

Directed by alumnus Cam Culham
Featuring performances by alumni Victor Dolhai & Emily Piggford.

/Multiple Tony award winning Broadway musical Pippin tells the story of
one young man’s music-filled quest to find the extraordinary at war, in
love and via other such conquests and adventures, only to discover that
true happiness is found in those unextraordinary moments of life. This
production celebrates the 20th anniversary of this youth Musical Theatre
company. Family friendly. /*
*

*THE RAGE TRIALS <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-rage-trials/>*
SKAM YOUNG COMPANY <http://www.skam.ca> • VICTORIA

Written by alumna Emma Leck
Directed by alumna Mikaela Haeusser

Artistic support: Kathleen Greenfield, Artistic Director: Matthew Payne,
Production Manager: Logan Swain, Stage Manager: Ariel Glidden.

/A random committee of teenagers must decide if anger is beneficial or
if it should be stricken from human consciousness. Their decision will
last 100 years. “Whatever Theatre SKAM touches seems to turn to
theatrical gold.”  – NOW. “Current, confrontational …provocative.” –
Victoria News. Written by the winner of the 2018. Winnipeg Fringe New
Play Prize for "Drops in a Broken Fountain".///

*TRAVELTHEATRICS <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/traveltheatrics/>*
STANDING ROOM ONLY THEATRE <https://kearabarnes.com> • VICTORIA

Created by alumna Keara Barnes

/1 Woman. 18 Characters. Watch 6 TRUE travel stories enacted from across
the globe. WINNER Jester’s Cap Award – Calgary Fringe 2016. “A
remarkable presence on stage”-CBC “I never wanted the show to end.
Barnes is as astonishing a solo performer as they come” – Two Cents &
Two Pence “A stage presence like none I have ever seen.” – The Marble
Victoria/

*FALSTAFF <https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/falstaff/>*
THEATRE INCONNU <https://www.theatreinconnu.com> • VICTORIA

Created and performed by 3-time alumnus Clayton Jevne

/“Jack” takes us into battles, bedrooms and bars in Clayton Jevne’s
one-actor adaptation of Robert Nye’s Guardian Prize-winning biographical
novel. Nye’s anti-hero is a comical yet poignant combination of
Shakespeare’s self-absorbed buffoon and the actual historic figure of
Sir John Fastolf (Shakespeare’s original inspiration). /“Amazing…
wonderful story teller”/ – CBC. /“Masterful… Sympathetic, without losing
his bawdy edge.”/ – Monday Magazine/

******

*SUNDAY FUNDAY 2019
<https://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/sunday-funday-2019/>*
FRINGE SPECIAL EVENT with
ATOMIC VAUDEVILLE
<http://atomicvaudeville.wixsite.com/atomic-vaudeville/about> • VICTORIA

Artisitc Producer alumna Britt Small and Artistic Director previous
student Jacob Richmond

/Atomic Vaudeville takes over the stage for a special Fringe edition
Cabaret! AV regulars will be joined by your favourite Fringe artists for
one unforgettable late night cabaret. AV’s Cabarets are entirely unique,
pulling from variety show, sketch comedy, burlesque, and musical satire.
For more than thirteen years, they have been delighting, offending and
dazzling as an audience favourite in Victoria, producing more than 75
Cabarets – and going strong!/

*Note: As usual, only Phoenix students (and a couple of previous
students) , alumni, and other UVic grads, are listed. Kudos to the MANY
MANY other artists involved!*

*Want more alumni stories?* Check out our Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> area of our website. Recognize
anyone? If you're alumni, please tell us what you've been up to. Submit
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixalumnisurvey/biography//> your
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> bio online
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> and yours could be the next
alumni profile on our website!

*<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>/Want
//more alumni updates? /*Check out the Alumni Profiles
<https://www.uvic.ca/finearts/theatre/alumni/profiles/index.php>area of
our website. Email your updates to us to be posted here in future eNews.

*<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*Follow the most recent department and
alumni stories by liking us on*Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

      Sponsor Kudos:<https://productioncanada.com>

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students! A special thank you
to this season's /Production Resource Partner, /*Production Canada
<https://productioncanada.com>* whose support helps realize our
designer's visions on stage.

Thanks also to our supporters over the past year from the *Cadboro Bay
Village* <http://www.cadborobayvillage.com> including: *For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's Foods
<http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2019