[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > Shakespeare's "The Comedy of Errors" gets a pop musical reboot!

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Mon Mar 12 17:20:36 PDT 2018

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	March 2018 • Act 11 Scene 4

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Shakespeare for the iTunes generation

Everyone has had to study Shakespeare. Many of us love his clever
wordplay, hilarious plots, and illuminating metaphors, but others
struggle to hear the meaning in his verse. What if the international
language of music could help us better appreciate The Bard's genius? if
you are a young person, what better music than the songs you love to
help bridge cultures, from the 16th century to today. Read more about
our pop musical adaptation of /*The Comedy of Errors*/ below and
consider bringing the teenager, or young person in your life to
experience the magic of Shakespeare.

      Behind the Scenes: */"With what's happening in our world, we need
      laughter, silly belly laughter, and not the sort born of cynicism" /*

Shakespeare’s funniest and shortest comedy is getting a reboot for the
digital age.

Director and self-professed Shakespeare nerd, Jeffrey Renn is currently
completing his MFA in Directing at the Department of Theatre. Working
and learning side-by-side with other students here at UVic, he became
inspired to create a Shakespeare production that would truly engage this
iTunes generation. This week, he will open his unique adapatation of
*/The Comedy of Errors/*, a version of the play that intermixes
Shakespearean verse into contemporary music, for a pop musical and
Broadway-esque experience.

Renn isn’t new to acting, directing, or reinterpreting the Bard. From
the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts to Stratford, the Shaw
Festival and Broadway, Renn has performed Shakespeare across the world.

/“I have been blessed to work with rare artistic genius when it comes to
Shakespeare,”/ Renn said, /“including the legendary Robin Phillips,// ”/
(the Artistic Director that put the Stratford Festival on the map, who
sadly passed away in 2015 ). /“Now I want to be able to have young
people as excited about The Bard’s work as I am.”/

/“I am grateful to have been included in a traditional process of
giving, sharing, and playing that was taught to me by my theatre
mentors. There’s now a line that travels through Shakespeare, back to
the Greeks, and forward to these amazing young artists on stage today.”/

Renn feels that one of the platforms from where culture advances is the
world of music videos, where cutting edge technology is a shared
vocabulary, uniquely driven by youth themselves. Similarly, he feels
that Shakespearean theatre was the music video of Shakespeare’s day.

As such, he wanted his pop musical adaptation of */The Comedy of
Errors/* to look and feel like a contemporary music video. Set in New
Orleans during modern day Mardi Gras festivities, mirrors are used
extensively to create various club-like environments and extend the
themes of reflection right into the audience!

Finding inspiration in songs by Nina Simone, Queen, Beyoncé, Justin
Timberlake and more, Renn adapted the play with music, integrating
Shakespeare’s actual verse in versions of the songs that he hopes will
help young people better relate to the themes of the play.

*/The Comedy of Errors/* is a hilarious, intricately-entangled farce of
mistaken identity that was first told in Roman times. It tells the tale
of two sets of twins, separated at birth, who find themselves in the
same city (and coincidentally, also have the same name). As their worlds
collide, chaos ensues and they end up questioning their own identity.
The whole crazy farcical mix-up resolves into a tale of family reunion,
love, and self-reflection.

/“Young people have always been searching for a sense of meaning, a
sense of recognition. In order to know ourselves, we mimic behaviour, we
mirror it – or in the vernacular of music culture, we are sampling it,
making a mashup,”/ said Renn./“Today, millennials understand the journey
of self-identity as a performative act – framing and reframing their
world through their digital devices... This play holds up a mirror and
asks the question 'Who am I?' I wanted to change the play’s context to
help students see themselves through Shakespeare’s words, to have fun,
and make it theirs,”/ said Renn.

And what fun they are having! To ensure the authentic sound of youth
culture,  fourth-year student Aidan Dunsmuir fills the auditorium with
his energetic sound design. Lights explode on to the stage, and
colourful spandex and bling bring out the outlandish costumes of Mardi
Gras parades, as well as the razzle dazzle of the club scene, with
costumes designed by fourth-year student Jivan Bains-Wood. Fast-paced
choreography by Christina Penhale, ofSalt Spring Island’s exitStageLeft
<https://www.facebook.com/exitstageleftproductions/>, and a clever
glow-in-the-dark skeleton dance (with high-tech EL Wire suits designed
and programmed by fourth-year student Matthew Wilkerson) completes the
allusion to music video aesthetics.

/“We’re adapting Shakespeare’s adaptation of a Roman play that is almost
two thousand years old,”/ said Renn, /“proving that our basic humanity
really hasn’t changed since then./ /We might live differently,
technologically//, but we’re still the same. We still have our human
foibles, and we’re still really funny/ /… //And with what’s happening in
our world, we need laughter, silly belly laughter and not the sort born
of cynicism.”/

      Upcoming Phoenix Events:

*March 15- 24, 2018*//
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/>***THE
COMEDY OF ERRORS
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/4-comedyerrors/#section0-4>*
By William Shakespeare
Adapted & Directed by
Jeffrey Renn

Mystery and mayhem are at the heart of Shakespeare’s shortest and
funniest comedy that features a pair of twins – twice! Twenty years
after they are separated in a storm at sea, the twins find themselves
swept up in Mardi Gras celebrations and everyone gets mistaken for
everyone else. This pop musical reboot of the 16th-century farce will
have you dancing in the aisles to songs inspired by artists from Nina
Simone to Beyoncé, and Queen to Justin Timberlake.

*Previews: *Tuesday & Wednesday, March 13 & 14 at 8pm
Preview tickets are $8 and available only after 5pm on these preview
nights.
*Preshow Lecture:* Friday March 16 at 7pm
Director Jeffrey Renn discusses adaptations of Shakespeare plays he has
been involved with over the years.
*Evenings: *Mondays through Saturdays at 8pm
*Matinees:* Saturdays March 17 and 24 at 2pm

*BOX OFFICE* is now open. Tickets
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/> are $16-$26

      Phoenix Phacts: Student and alumni stories

Current student and 2016 Youth Poet Laureate, *Ann-Bernice Thomas,* was
an opening performer at the /Evening of Spoken Word Poetry Rock, Blues,
Soul Music/, presented in celebration of Black History Month at the
Belfry Theatre. Ann-Bernice is a theatre and writing double major and
talks about their UVic experience in this university profile.
<https://www.uvic.ca/future-students/undergraduate/why-uvic/student-success/ann-bernice/index.php>

Theatre Inconnu, <http://www.theatreinconnu.com> founded by alumnus
*Clayton Jevne (BFA '85, MFA '87 & PhD '03)*, is known as the longest
surviving alternative theatre company in town. Their spring production
of /Neva/ by Guillermo Calderon, was directed by Jevne and featured
current theatre and writing student *Nicholas Guerreiro*. Reviews were
great for this edgy production, called “invigorating, provocative and
absolutely hilarious” in the Times Colonist. Coming up at Theatre
Inconnu, alumnus *Matt McLaren (BFA’14)* is directing /The Tennant
Haymovitch/ by Ariel Bronze, running May 1–19.

Langham Court Theatre's sold out production of /Sense and Sensibility
<http://www.langhamtheatre.ca/boxoffice/plays/sense-and-sensibility/>/
continues until March 17 and features the 18th century-inspired costume
designs of alumna *Hana Ruzesky-Bashford (BFA'17)* and performances by
*Katt Campbell (BFA '08)*.

Theatre and writing alumnus *Mark Leiren-Young (BFA’ 85) *has another
play opening this spring. /Bar Mitzvah Boy /is about a successful lawyer
who has to rethink his idea of faith when he is forced to take Bar
Mitzvah classes. /Bar Mitzvah Boy
<http://pacifictheatre.org/season/2017-2018-season/mainstage/bar-mitzvah-boy>/runs
at Pacific Theatre
<http://pacifictheatre.org/season/2017-2018-season/mainstage/bar-mitzvah-boy>
in Vancouver from March 23 – April 14 and has also been chosen to open
the season of the Chester Theatre in Pittsfield Massachusetts from June
21-July 1. Mark is also the writer of the film /The Hundred-Year-Old
Whale/ which was just nominated for a WGC Screenwriting Award for Best
Documentary <http://www.wgc.ca/cscs_awards/2018_finalists.html>.

Alumna*Jenny Edwards (BFA ‘06)* was just named the Box Office Manager at
Lunchbox Theatre in Calgary. Congratulations Jenny!

*Emily Piggford (BFA’11)* is acting in /Flatliners/, the new TV series
about medical students who experiment with the near-death experiences
that also stars Ellen Page (show right with Piggford) and Kiefer Sutherland.

Last week's *IdeaFest at UVic <https://www.uvic.ca/ideafest/>*featured
over 40 lectures and events about “ideas that can change everything!”
Topics ranged from climate change and chamber music to Indigenous law,
optimistic art, antibiotic resistance and more. UVic Fine Arts offered
five events this year including /Beyond the Digital Frontier: Exploring
Digital/ (March 7 at 5-6:30pm), an hands-on, interactive, drop-in event
showcasing recent innovations in the world of digital media. Our
Assistant Technical Director and alumnus *Simon Farrow (BFA ’13)*
showcased new theatre technology.

Next week, from March 19 – 23, UVic hosts /*5 Days of Action: Courageous
Conversations*
<https://www.uvic.ca/equity/education/5-days-action/index.php>/, a week
of events that aims to re-establish commitment towards ending
discrimination, harassment and sexualized violence. Current
undergraduate students *Lauren Frost, Devon Goldie, Nathan Harvey, Alida
Kelly, J**asmine Li, **Bridget Roberts, *and current PhD candidate
*Taiwo Afolabi*, will offer performances and workshops throughout the
week. Another presentation features *Jessica Burdge, Hannah Bell, Hannah
Allin, Brennan Tack *and*Tegan Morris*, all students in our second year
Applied Theatre class. Visit uvic.ca/5days
<https://www.uvic.ca/equity/education/5-days-action/index.php>for more
information.

*Want more alumni stories?* Check out the Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> area of our website. Recognize
anyone? If you're alumni, please tell us what you've been up to. Submit
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixalumnisurvey/biography//> your
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> bio online
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> and we will add your profile
to the website!

*<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658><https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix><https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>*Follow
the most recent Phoenixi stories by liking us on*Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

      Sponsor Kudos:

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented
students!<http://productioncanada.com>

Thank you to our new/Production Resource Partner /*Production Canada*
<http://productioncanada.com>, a company dedicated to helping our
student designers realize their creative ideas on stage.

Thanks also to our /Community Partners /from the *Cadboro Bay Village*
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com> including: *For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's Foods
<http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2015