[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > Spotlight on Alumni goes WEST!

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 6 19:49:48 PDT 2017

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	October 2017 • Act 11 Scene 2

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Making the journey to follow your dreams

Fall is truly here: a time when our students return to the corridors of
the Phoenix and fill our halls with the sounds of laughter and
rehearsals-in-progress. Each year they return rejuvenated, excited to
continue on their educational journey, and refocused on reaching their
dreams. Each fall, our*/Spotlight on Alumni /*guests arrive to share
their experiences with you, our audiences, and our students. Danette
Boucher and James Douglas are currently living their dreams, every day,
as writers, performers, directors and filmmakers. On stage, these two
graduates will present the stories of two BC pioneers who traveled west
in search of a new future. Backstage and in the classrooms, Danette and
James will mentor our current students, offering guidance on how they
too can navigate life's journey and achieve their dreams.

Watch the /*West*/ video now!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i9CA-KA-0s>

      Behind the Scenes: *Making History:
      Two UVic alumni and their love affair with each other
      and BC history.***

Two UVic alumni are making history – literally – every day.

Donning hoops, petticoats, bonnet and a classic Victorian cotton dress,
actor and playwright Danette Boucher’s “office” looks like a
19th-century ghost town, albeit bustling daily with tourists from across
Canada. In truth, Barkerville Historic Town <http://www.barkerville.ca>
is one of BC’s most frequented and important heritage sites. Together
with her husband, actor, director and filmmaker James Douglas, Danette
has spent decades telling the stories of Barkerville’s past, and they
are now both part of the park’s artistic and management team.

Danette and James’ passion for history also led them to create
Histrionics Theatre Company <https://histrionicstheatre.co>to better
tell their favourite dramatic stories from our past. They return this
fall to their own histories and their old stomping grounds at UVic’s
Phoenix Theatre (where Danette did two degrees and James got his start
in acting) for the Department of Theatre’s 2017*/Spotlight on Alumni/*.
Their presentation of */West/* pairs two of Danette’s riveting stories
about two BC pioneering spirits, /*Lady Overlander*/ and */The Fred
Wells Show/*, each on their own quest for gold.

/"I first stumbled into museum theatre in 1989 while auditioning to play
Emily Carr at her childhood home in James Bay./ /I didn't know then that
it would lead to an exciting career in museum theatre and historical
interpretation/," says Danette who has also developed programming for
Royal BC Museum, Helmcken House, Craigflower Farm and Schoolhouse, Point
Ellice House and Tod House. Many may also remember her as the
“Unsinkable” Margaret Brown, a character that she performed for the
RBCM’s /Titanic: the Artifact Exhibit/.

/"Over the years of interpreting BC’s history, it has given me great joy
to watch stories and ideas morph as we mature and strive to understand
who we are, as a result of who we have been,"/ reflects Danette. /"At
the start of my career, we celebrated our pioneer stories and often
neglected the darker, less well known, aspects of our founding. 30 years
later, we are eager to question and reframe our stories, considering
many angles and experiences."/

Her play/, /*/Lady Overlander/*, is a dramatic first-person account of
the legendary Catherine O’Hare Schubert who – while pregnant! – walked
from Winnipeg to Kamloops in 1862 in search of a new life in a
tantalizing new land. */The Fred Wells Show/* tells a fascinating but
little-known story from a gold rush during the Great Depression. Wells,
an introverted yet charismatic American prospector, persevered against
the odds until he finally struck gold! The ensuing 1930s gold rush saw
thousands of fortune seekers flock to the town that was named in his
honour, and saved countless BC families from poverty during very
desperate times.

/"These scripts were written with love for my home province, but are
also part of a desire to understand what happened when BC was first
defining itself,"/ says Danette.

/"BC history is like the best book I have ever read, with chapters that
are celebratory and adventurous, and chapters that are gut wrenching and
painful. When I write, I am driven by the idea of home, how we find it,
and what it means to each of us."/

The couple make their year-round home in Wells, BC, a town near
Barkerville, with their twin daughters. Although both Danette and James
attended UVic’s Department of Theatre –  twice each! – remarkably, the
couple didn’t meet until they worked together in Barkerville.

James remembers for aTimes Colonist interview
<http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/west-steps-back-in-time-at-phoenix-theatre-1.23056256>
that Danette, unbeknownst to her, had played a big part in his love of
theatre. /“When I was in the seventh grade, we went on a class trip to
see a play... Danette was in the show, we figured out later,/” he said.
“I/was so amazed by the outdoor play, I asked my mom to get me into my
first drama class.”/

Despite their lives up north, Victoria and UVic are still a big part of
their lives and their work. /“Victoria has a really strong heritage and
theatre community that work together well,”/ Danette says. /“The Phoenix
is a special place for us both, a place we both called home for an
important time in our lives. Even though we attended at different times,
we still share many common experiences...and so, so many common
friends," /laughs James.

Many of these friends pitched in, both in front of the camera and
financially last spring, when James had the incredible opportunity to
direct“The Doctor’s Case,"
<https://www.facebook.com/pg/thedoctorsmovie/posts/?ref=page_internal> a
film based on the short story by Stephen King about Sherlock Holmes and
Dr. Watson. James had applied for the non-commercial film rights of an
adaptation of the story through King's "Dollar Babies" program. After a
successful crowdfunding campaign, James pulled together an amazing cast.
As well as many Phoenix alumni, the film stars well known actors like
William B. Davis <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0205657/?ref_=nv_sr_1>
(better known now as the Cigarette Smoking Man in /The X-File/s)
andDenise Crosby <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000344/> (known for her
role of Lt. Tasha Yar on/Star Trek: The Next Generation/) (all seen in
photo above at Craigdarroch Castle). The film was shot on location last
spring at Barkerville, Craigdarroch Castle and Emily Carr House. This
fall, James applied to submit the final film to both the Sundance Film
Festival and the Atlanta Film Festival. He will send a final cut to
Stephen King in several months.

  * Read the Times Colonist intervie
    <http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/west-steps-back-in-time-at-phoenix-theatre-1.23056256>w
    (October 5)
  * Watch a scene from /*The Fred Wells Show
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsnsJrkcMOI>*/ with James Douglas
  * Watch a scene from /*Lady Overlander*
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taucn8h9-EM>/**
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taucn8h9-EM> with Danette Boucher

      Phoenix Phacts: Alumni stories from around town and around the
      country.

You watched him spin his amazing tales last year at our 50th Anniversary
Alumni Festival, now you can learn with *TJ Dawe
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Actors/TJ_Dawe/> (BFA
’97)* in Victoria, October 21 to 22, at his /How To Create Your Own Solo
Show/ workshop. Dawe will also be performing his new solo show, /Roller
Coaster, /at the Dave Dunnet Theatre at Oak Bay High School
<https://www.oakbay.ca/parks-recreation/news/tj-dawe-theatre-workshop-and-performance>on
October 21.

*Janet Munsil
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/designers/Janet_Munsil/>
(BFA ’89)* recently directed /Girl in the Goldfish Bowl/ by Morris
Panych for Langham Court Theatre, <http://www.langhamtheatre.ca> running
until October 14. An accomplished playwright as well as a director and
designer, Janet was the Artist in Residence at the Centre for Religion
and Society at UVic last year. This fall, she returned to campus again
to pursue an MFA in creative writing. Welcome back to student life Janet!

*Ingrid Hansen
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/designers/Ingrid_Hansen/>
(BFA ’09)*, the creator, performer, and co-founder of SNAFU Dance
Theatre <http://www.snafudance.com> toured her new show, /Interstellar
Elder,/ on the Fringe circuit this summer. The one-woman show received
rave reviews at the Toronto, Vancouver, and Victoria Fringe Festivals
winning Favourite Solo Show and Best Performance by any Fringe Artist in
Victoria’s Pick of the Fringe!

Alumna *Jennifer Swan (BFA ‘99)* was the Stage Manager of the Belfry
Theatre production of /The Children’s Republic
<http://www.belfry.bc.ca/the-childrens-republic/>,/ written by the
recently Siminovitch-nominated playwright Hannah Moscovitch. In addition
to being a freelance stage manager, Swan is also currently the Company
and Financial Manager of Electric Theatre Company in Vancouver.

Opening soon at the Belfry is their production of /Onegin
<http://www.belfry.bc.ca/onegin/>/ (October 17 - November 12),
co-created by alumnus *Amiel Gladstone
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Comprehensive/Gladstone_Amiel/index.html>
(BFA ’94*) with Veda Hille (shown right). This 21st-century musical
adaptation of the classic opera also stars alumna *Meg Roe
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Actors/Meg_Roe/>(BFA
’04). *

*Erin Macklem (BFA ’98)*, the Belfry’s Artistic Associate, has written
the play /Blue Beads and Blueberries /that will be directed by *David*
*MacPherson (BFA ’91)*, Artistic Director of Story Theatre Company.
<http://www.storytheatre.ca> After its October 12 performance in
Victoria, the show is set to tour schools and communities across BC this
year with Story Theatre.

*Jessica Schacht (BFA ‘10) *recently returned from assistant stage
managing the premiere tour of /Children of God
<https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/theatre-reviews/review-children-of-god-is-must-see-theatre-for-canadians/article35078495/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&>/,
<https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/theatre-reviews/review-children-of-god-is-must-see-theatre-for-canadians/article35078495/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&>a
new musical about the residential school system. /Children of God
/played at the York Theatre in Vancouver and the National Arts Center in
Ottawa. /Adult Company
<https://tickets.vancouverfringe.com/shows/adult%20company/info>,
/co-written by Schacht, was produced for the Vancouver Fringe, with
design by alumna *Patricia Reilly (BFA ’10). *When not making theatre,
Schacht is also a co-owner of Ampersand Distilling Co.
<http://ampersanddistilling.com> in Cowichan.

*Mark Leiren-Young
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Comprehensive/Leiren-Young_Mark/index.html>
(BFA ’85)*’s**play within a play, /Shylock,/ was produced at Bard on the
Beach <https://bardonthebeach.org> this summer. This one-man show
explores an actor in the role of Shylock in /The Merchant of Venice,
/which was also produced at the Bard this summer.

Just announced: the Bard on the Beach’s 2018 season
<https://bardonthebeach.org/news/2017/2018-season-announcement/>features
a new adaptation of the Greek classic, /Lysistrata, /by recently retired
Theatre faculty member *Jennifer Wise
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/jennifer_wise.html>
*(shown right) Wise's published translation of Brecht's /The Resistible
Rise of Arturo Ui/ was part of the reading series at The Shaw Festival
<http://www.shawfest.com>this fall.

*Andrew Wade
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Actors/Wade_Andrew/index.html>
(BFA'15) *is a perfect example of our comprehensive training sometimes
all in the same few months! He is currently the stage manager for /A
Vancouver Guldasta/ (November 4-18), a story about a Punjabi family in
Vancouver in the early 1980s produced by the South Asian Canadian
Histories Association. He's also been part of three Geekenders'
productions: /A Costume Ball at Wayne Manor
<http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3056722>/, a Batman-themed
immersive theatre experience (October 27 & November 3); a parody
production of /How I Met My Mother: A Back to the Future Musical
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1994656470818076/>/ (December 8-10)
with another graduate, *Kesinee Haney (BFA '11)*; and /Slumber Here/, a
/Midsummer Nights' Dream /story with variable endings presented at the
Vancouver Fringe Festival, which won the Spirit Of the Fringe Award and
was runner-up for the Artistic Risk award. He's also been writing and
performing his own plays, /Hullaboo/ and /The End of Everything /at
Saskatoon's Fringe Festival. The latter play originated here at UVic and
received a 4.5 star review!

In September, *Leo Weiser (MFA ’92)* hosted an open house at his
Bleeding Art Industries <http://www.bleedingartindustries.com> studio
where he shared his extensive expertise in illusions, special effects,
and props. Since completing his MFA at the Phoenix, Weiser has gone on
to work extensively in film and his fake blood is considered the best in
the industry!

*Meg Braem
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/profiles/Actors/Braem_Meg/index.html>(BFA
’04)* was recently announced as the newest Lee Playwright in Residence
at the University of Alberta Department of Drama.
<https://www.ualberta.ca/drama> Not only was Braem commissioned to write
a play that will be presented in 2020, she will also provide mentorship
to U of A students who are writing original works.

This past September marked the first-ever Peek-Fest
<http://www.impulsetheatre.ca/peek-fest.html> in Victoria, presented by
Impulse Theatre <http://www.impulsetheatre.ca>. This new festival for
emerging performing artists offered exciting new looks at work in
development through showcases and workshops by alumni *Andrew Barrett
(BFA '12)*, *Katherine Greenfield (BFA'05)*, *Randy Edmundston (BFA '12)*.

Alumna *Melissa Young (BFA '03)* directs a new production of/A Closer
Walk with Patsy Cline/ that will run at two venues in Victoria, the
Teechamitsa Theatre in Colwood (October 20 & 21), and the CCPA Theatre
in Oak Bay (October 27, 28 & 29). Alumna *Sarah Cashin (BFA' 15)* is
part of the organizing team performing marketing and front of house
roles for both venues.

*Want more alumni stories?* Check out the Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> area of our website. Recognize
anyone? If you're alumni, please tell us what you've been up to. Submit
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixalumnisurvey/biography//> your
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> bio online
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> and we will add your profile
to the website!

      Upcoming Phoenix Events:

*October 12 – 21, 2017
**Previews: October 10 & 11 at 8pm
*

*
**
WEST: A tribute to BC Trailblazers
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/1-west/#1>
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/1-west/#1>*A
double bill byHistrionics Theatre Company <https://histrionicstheatre.co>
/A Spotlight on Alumni featuring:/ Danette Boucher (BFA ‘89, MA ‘11) and
James Douglas (BA English ‘ 00)

/Presented by:/

<https://www.solutionsinsurance.com/uvic>/*West*/ presents two solo
shows profiling two of our nation’s pioneering spirits. Travel with
Catherine O’Hare Schubert in /*Lady Overlander*/ for a lively
first-person account of the legendary woman who – while pregnant! –
walked from Winnipeg to Kamloops in 1862 with dreams of finding gold and
a home in a tantalizing new land called British Columbia. Then, join the
charismatic American prospector Fred Marshall Wells in */The Fred Wells
Show/*. Follow his life, his love of pancakes, and his 1930s discovery
and the ensuing gold rush that saved many BC families from poverty
during the Great Depression.

/“If only history class had been this much fun... //a stellar
performance.” //- /WINNIPEG FREE PRESS /
/
*BOX OFFICE* is now open. Call 250-721-8000. Tickets
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/> are $15-$26.
Same-day Preview night tickets are only $8. Subscription packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for 3 or 4 shows start at only $39.00.

*November 9 – 25, 2017**//
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/>*
*Previews: Nov. 7 & 8 at 8pm*
*THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/>*
By Jean Giraudoux
Adapted by Maurice Valency
Directed by Conrad Alexandrowicz

Welcome to the whimsical world of Countess Aurelia, a flamboyant
holdover from a less cynical time. She whiles away her days sharing her
joie de vivre and cryptic wisdom with everyone she encounters until
corrupt businessmen discover oil beneath her Paris neighbourhood. With
everything she holds dear suddenly under threat, the Countess is driven
to unite the artists, vagabonds, oddballs and dreamers of Chaillot to
fight back. A poetic and comic fable of the triumph of good over evil
originally written in 1943 during the Nazi occupation of Paris, this
play has a whole new relevance in our current era of pipelines and protests.

*BOX OFFICE* opens for this show on October 31.Subscription packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for 3 shows, 4 shows are available now and start at $39.00.

*<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>/Want
//more alumni updates? /*Check out the Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/>area of our website. Email your
updates to us to be posted here in future eNews.

*<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*Follow the most recent department and
alumni stories by liking us on*Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

      Sponsor Kudos:

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students!

<http://productioncanada.com>Thank you to our new/Production Resource
Partner /*Production Canada* <http://productioncanada.com>, a company
dedicated to helping our student designers realize their creative ideas
on stage.

Thanks also to our /Community Partners /from the *Cadboro Bay Village*
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com> including: *For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's Foods
<http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2015