[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE> "The Madwoman of Chaillot" serves up " visual delights & thought-provoking observations"

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Wed Nov 15 21:05:20 PST 2017

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	Nov. 2017 • Act 11 Scene 4

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

    *>Update*

/*The Madwoman of Chaillot
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/#1>*/
serves up*/"visual delights and thought-provoking observations!"/*

The show is creating some wonderful dialogue and interesting feedback.
See reviews below. It continues this week and next, so if you loved
/*Madwoman*/, please help us by spreading the word or sharing our
Facebook event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1930157800641777/>.

  * *Performance with Sign
    Language Interpretation
    <https://www.facebook.com/events/182077159036620/>*
    /*Saturday Nov 18 at 2pm*/
    Interpretation by Deaf interpreter Nigel Howard and hearing
    interpreters Keith Brougham and Mary Butterfield. (Easy booking with
    this special order form
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/2017-Madwoman-signlanguage-orderform.pdf>)

      *Listen up! *

*Last week's Friday lecture now online*
Listen in as Director Conrad Alexandrowicz talks about the background of
/The Madwoman of Chaillot/ as Jean Giraudoux's response to the Nazi
occupation of France in this lecture recorded last week.

  * Listen to the conversation online now:
    <https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/_lecture/MadwomanPreshowLecture-Edited.mp3>

      *In the Press: Highlights & Media Round-Up***

*Review Highlights*

*Janis La Couvée.com
<http://janislacouvee.com/madwoman-chaillot-uvic-phoenix-nov-9-25-2017-review/>
<http://janislacouvee.com/madwoman-chaillot-uvic-phoenix-nov-9-25-2017-review/>*
Janis La Couvée
/Posted Nov. 13, 2017/

"...*The Madwoman of Chaillot*...*is grandiose* – huge in scale and
extremely physical.././ the dialogue sends shivers down the spine with
its/*prescience and modernity*./

Director Conrad Alexandrowicz and his design team have chosen a very
stylized and fanciful interpretation... of [one of] French theatre’s
masterpieces of the 20th century. It's a choice that tempts an audience
to /*question every costume, movement interlude, lighting change and set
design in an*/ /*attempt to glean any additional hidden meaning.*/

...the nefarious workings of stock manipulation ...ring true today...
[the Broker]'s /*hyperbolic description of a stock issue took on a
ballet-like quality*/... while in the background the assembled citizens
frantically juggled
balls.*<http://janislacouvee.com/madwoman-chaillot-uvic-phoenix-nov-9-25-2017-review/>*

... the Madwoman seems... lovingly enmeshed in the lives of people in
the neighbourhood of her café. */Valiquette plays the Madwoman with an
all-knowing, kind and imperious manner/*.

The second act reveals the depth of the artistic vision... The
Madwoman’s grand entrance will remain fixed in memory as */one of the
significant visual moments of this year’s theatre season./*//

While the English translation has the Madwoman proclaiming /“Nothing is
ever so wrong in this world that a sensible woman can’t set it right in
the course of an afternoon”,/ the original French is more emphatic
—*/“All that’s needed is a sensible woman for the world’s folly to fail”./*

/The Madwoman of Chaillot/ is a /*meta-theatrical spectacle of
tremendous proportions, */serving up visual delights and
thought-provoking observations that /*will leave the audience
questioning their role in the scheme of things. */

Once again, Victoria is fortunate to have a theatre department where
foundational work of this scale can be staged." /**/

*Times Colonist
<http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/review-students-take-on-1940s-tale-a-valiant-effort-1.23091051>*
by Sarah Petrescu
3 STARS
Posted Nov. 12, 2017

The Madwoman of Chaillot, Jean Giraudoux’s satirical fantasy written in
Nazi-occupied France in the 1940s, is a tempting play. */The large cast
of colourful characters and absurd plot are a rare malleable clay for
interesting staging and direction./*//

Alexandrowicz specializes in physical theatre and makes excellent use of
movement... a table of bad men plots to destroy the city out of greed,
/*rolling on chairs as they choreograph their scheme*/...

One is a so-called prospector who comically sniffs out oil in the Paris
water. ... Chase Hiebert, a Phoenix graduate and current writ**ing
student, /*... is convincing and fun as the maniacal cowboy.*/**

The set [by Patrick Du Wors] is */a fantastic version of a café/* in
Paris, built with massive black and white illustrated backdrops..."
*<http://www.martlet.ca/review-the-madwoman-of-chaillot/>*

*Monday Magazine
<http://www.mondaymag.com/opinion/a-meta-theatrical-approach-eschewing-realism-in-the-mad-woman-of-chaillot-at-the-phoenix/>*
Sheila Martindale
Posted November 13, 2017

/*"The scenery is gorgeous and evocative*/ */– take a bow/* /*Patrick du
Wors;*/ Michelle Ning Lo’s costumes are quirky and actually make sense...

/**/...Sarah Jean Valiquette is quite brilliant as Countess Aurelia ...
Nicholas Guerreiro is suitably uncaring as the President – he and his
buddies have very dramatic huddles, using the wheeled chairs of the
outdoor patio to great advantage... /*all the actions are spot-on and
well-timed on this busy stage.*/**

... productions at UVic are ... */extremely professional and
well-executed/*. One always has to admire the skill with which the drama
department manages the challenging plays they
choose."*<http://www.martlet.ca/review-the-madwoman-of-chaillot/>*

*The Martlet <http://www.martlet.ca/review-the-madwoman-of-chaillot/>*
by Jakelene Plan
Posted November 15, 2017

"... the theatrical design to come out of the Phoenix Theatre is often
the /*most innovative and engaging work I’ve seen*/. It continually
pushes the boundaries of what I expect and what I think is achievable,
and the work done by Patrick Du Wors on set, Michelle Ning Lo on
costumes, and Matthew Wilkerson on lighting /*design exceeds all my
expectations.*/

Alongside Alexandrowicz, their unified vision of a colourful, cheerful
Paris becoming infected by greed (represented by grey scale) is cohesive
and complementary. ...colour is an easy and striking way to draw
attention to themes, but it’s the /*creative application that raises the
technique from commonplace to spectacular."*/**

*Camosun Nexus Newspaper
<http://www.nexusnewspaper.com/2017/11/10/the-madwoman-of-chaillot-a-great-performance/>*
by Leslie Do
Posted November 10, 2017

/*The Madwoman of Chaillot a great performance*/... The play was smooth
and colourful ...the outfits, and the humor the play brings ... and the
action was perfect. ... /[it] *registers on a deeply human level*/...
and the actors fulfilled their roles perfectly.../**/

I was especially/*impressed by the outstanding performance by Nicholas
Guerreiro*/ in his role as the company President—his voice, his
attitude, and his acting were absolutely incredible.

The supporting cast ...were the soul—and the sounds—of the play...the
way they worked together, played ...and moved on the stage made for
/*plenty of enjoyable and interesting moments.*/

Director Conrad Alexandrowicz brings a great performance to the audience
with this play...*/definitely worth two hours of your attention/*.

*Media Round-up**
*

  * Madwoman's resistance to oil still resonates
    <http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/go/madwoman-s-resistance-to-oil-still-resonates-1.23088748>
    /Times Colonist, November 9, 2017/

  * Phoenix Theatre explores good and evil in Giraudoux’s comic fable
    <http://www.oakbaynews.com/entertainment/the-madwoman-of-chaillot/>
    /Oak Bay News, November 6, 2017/

  * Why is the Madwoman of Chaillot so mad?
    <https://www.cheknews.ca/madwoman-chaillot-mad-explore-phoenix-theatres-latest-production-386208/>*
    */CHEK NEWS, November 12, 2017/

      See for yourself:

The photos from this show are fantastic, thanks to our photographer
David Lowes <http://www.artstudio21photography.com>. We've posted
alarger selection of images of /The Madwoman of Chaillot/ on our Phoenix
Theatre Facebook site
<https://www.facebook.com/pg/UVicPhoenixTheatre/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1637037453018835>.
(And while you're there, SHARE an event or LIKE our page and never miss
out on new Phoenix posts!)

Our video for /*The Madwoman of Chaillot*/
<https://youtu.be/VIkVGLm2QP0>has been getting lots of attention! If you
haven't seen it yet, click below. (We recommend turning up your volume!)

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkVGLm2QP0>

    ALL PHOTOS BY David Lowes, Art Studio 21.
    <http://www.artstudio21photography.com>

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2010