[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > Annual Phoenix Fringe round up!

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Mon Aug 21 19:56:04 PDT 2017

@UVic Newsletter

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	August 2017 • Act 11 Scene 1

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>|Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>|Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Annual Phoenix Fringe round up!

It's almost time for Victoria's International Fringe Festival
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>and once again
we're happy to help celebrate this fantastic theatre event. Not only
does the Fringe bring our community some of the most thought-provoking,
inspiring — and sometimes downright crazy — theatre, it also serves an
important testing ground for new works. Likewise, the Department of
Theatre is a place where new plays and new theatre companies are born.
Below. we're proud to list the Fringe shows that our students and alumni
are involved in, some were first created for the Student Alternative
Theatre Company <https://www.facebook.com/uvicsatco/> (SATCo), others
presented by alumni-based companies that prove the longstanding bond of
the friendships created at the Phoenix. There's even a family show with
several generations of Phoenixers! Take advantage of the talent this
festival brings to Victoria. And happy Fringing everyone!

      Behind the Scenes: *From Fringe to Air Farce:
      Funny pays off for alumni Chris Wilson *

By John Threlfall
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/research/blog/2017/06/30/canadian-comedy-star-phoenix-alum-chris-wilson-joins-air-farce/>

After a decade on the Fringe circuit, Department of Theatre alumnus
*Chris Wilson (BFA '08)* has started a new job, a role he describes as
“a dream come true.”

This summer, Wison is one of two new cast members to join the veteran
Canadian comedy ensemble Air Farce <http://airfarce.com/#homepage>. As
well as comedy, he's singing and dancing his way through his debut in
the Air Farce Canada 150 Special, which aired July 1 on CBC TV.

Best known as one-half of the sketch comedy duoPeter N’ Chris
<http://peternchris.com> with Peter Carlone (BFA'08), the three-time
Canadian Comedy Award-winning pair have built a large following in
Canada and the US. In addition to shows like /Peter N’ Chris Save the
World, Peter N’ Chris and the Mystery of the Hungry Heart Motel/
(performed as the Phoenix Theatre'sSpotlight on Alumni in 2012
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2012-2013/hungry_heart_motel/>),
/Peter N’ Chris and the Kinda OK Corral, Peter N’ Chris Explore Their
Bodies, /and/A Peter N’ Chris-tmas Carol/, the team have wowed audiences
at Just For Laughs, JFL42, The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival (2013,
2014) and at sketch festivals in Chicago and San Francisco.

Wilson’s Air Farce gig came about as a direct result of his success with
Carlone. “We were pitching to a panel at Just For Laughs for a Peter N’
Chris TV show and Air Farce’s Don Ferguson was on the panel,” he says.
“They then asked me to audition because they were looking to expand the
cast. But Peter and I are always working on other projects, and we are
trying to move into doing more film and TV anyway.”

“It was pretty fun,” he says of the audition process in aTimes Colonist
article
<http://www.timescolonist.com/victoria-raised-comedic-actor-writer-joins-air-farce-1.20817217>.
“They just sent some scripts from past shows. From there, I just put my
own take, my own spin on things. That was that.”

While working for a mainstream comedy ensemble like Air Farce may be a
bit more traditional than his own off-the-cuff comedy stylings, Wilson
says he’s still got room to improvise. “In the rehearsal process, we’ll
improvise and riff on lines . . . if they like it, they’ll write it down
and it’ll be in the next script draft.”

Air Farce has a long and enviable track record in the Canadian comedy
scene, dating back to 1970 and boasting both a 24-year CBC Radio series
and a 15-year CBC TV series. Lately, however, the Air Farce has been
focusing on seasonal specials, like their annual New Year’s show and
this week’s Canada 150 special.

Wilson and fellow new cast member Isabel Kanaan join the six others in
the troupe, including founding members Luba Goy and Don Ferguson. And
considering over two million Canadians watched the Air Farce’s 2016 New
Year’s special, it’s great exposure for Wilson . . . including with his
own family.

“It was one of my uncle’s favourite shows, actually, and my dad would
watch it—it was always on. It’s pretty great to be part of that history
now. This was one of the first times my parents were, like, ‘Oh wow!’
about something I’m doing. Normally I say we’re doing Fringe shows and
they’re pleased, but this time they were noticeably more excited—‘It’s
television!’”

His new role mirrors the direction he and Carlone want to take their
comedy work with Peter N' Chris. “Our goal is our own television show,
something we can write, direct, star in and have full creative control
over — you know, something that will never happen,” he chuckles. “Our
next major goal is to finish a feature film script we’re working on."

"The Fringe circuit is great and it’ll always be there — it’s a nice
source of income and, after 10 years, we pretty much know exactly how
much we’ll make — but we both want to try a different kind of project.”

That being said, both alumni have already been branching out into
different mediums. Both are writers for CBC Radio’sThe Irrelevant Show
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/irrelevantshow> and have appeared on the
popular comedy site CollegeHumor.com
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQoi2_xu5tw>, as well as the web series
White Ninja, and the Leo Award-nominated short film, /Grocery Store
Action Movie <https://www.facebook.com/grocerystoreactionmovie/>/.

When asked about the influence his Theatre education had on his life —
beyond meeting classmate Carlone and working on their first seven-minute
show together as a class assignment — Wilson points to the department’s
comprehensive approach.

“I’d say it was the multi-disciplinary aspect,” he says. “UVic really
encourages you to make your own work, whether through SATCo or
off-campus, and that was invaluable. You meet a lot of UVic alumni on
the Fringe doing their own work. UVic really encouraged that . . .
having that support, that network, is one of the most valuable things —
especially when you’re out of school working and can connect with others.”

Wilson admits he was influenced by the success of fellow Phoenix alumni
TJ Dawe and Charles Ross. “Seeing Charlie do his One-Man Star Wars was
amazing — it was pretty much what I wanted to do.”

But it was the influences of both current performance professor Jan Wood
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/jan_wood.html> and former
professor Ned Vukovic
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/ned_vukovic%20.html> to
which he is most indebted. “I always think about Jan Wood — it was her
class where you had to create your own show. And I think a lot about
Ned’s advice: ‘Dare to be boring; don’t try to act so much. You’re more
interesting just standing there than you think.’ That’s totally true,
especially with film acting.”

Except, of course, when you have to sing and dance on TV.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh59L9DPIYA>

.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh59L9DPIYA>

      Phoenix Phacts: Your guide to Phoenix Fringers!
      <http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>

Whether acting, writing, directing, designing or managing backstage, our
alumni and students are always an integral part of the Victoria Fringe
Fest <http://intrepidtheatre.com/festivals/fringe-festival/>! Check out
the list of this year's Fringe shows involving Phoenixers. A special
shout out to those alum and students working with Intrepid Theatre to
get this event up, including Technical Assistants*Simon Farrow
*and*Carolyn Moon*, and Ticket Rocket box office support with *Kristen
Iversen *and*Kate Loomer*. /*Happy Fringing! */

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/a-womans-guide-to-peeing-outside-other-adventures/>A
WOMAN'S GUIDE TO PEEING OUTSIDE & OTHER ADVENTURES
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/a-womans-guide-to-peeing-outside-other-adventures/>*HOLLY
BRINKMAN • VICTORIA

Directed by Andrew Barrett (BFA '12)

/Ever wondered how to perform the “Assisted Pee Over Water”? Ever
struggled with a sense of self? Still grieving the death of Jack Dawson?
Join storyteller Holly Brinkman in “A Woman’s Guide to Peeing Outside
and Other Adventures…” You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. You’ll try not to pee
your pants./*
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/after-the-beep-3/>AFTER THE BEEP
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/after-the-beep-3/>*
Pamela Bethel
<http://pamelabethel.ca/beep/><https://www.facebook.com/FirstNLastProd/>&
Theatre SKAM <http://www.skam.ca> • VICTORIA

Created by Pamela Bethel (BFA '99), Design Consultation by Erin Macklem
(BFA '98)
Theatre SKAM: Matthew Payne (BFA '93), Andrew Barrett (BFA'12), Kathleen
Greefield (BFA'05) current students Bridget Roberts, Brendan Agnew, and
Emma Leck.

/Pamela found cassettes from her very own answering machine she had as a
teenager during the early 1990’s. Despite the obvious risk of death by
embarrassment, she’s sharing this archive of adolescence with live
audiences. Part confessional, part show-and-tell, it’s an exploration of
awkward times revealed by the recorded voices of BFs, BFFs, a frenemy
and wrong numbers. Sold out premiere at UNO Fest 2017/

** <http://www.victoriafringe.com/shows/v3/>**
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/all-these-people-watching/>

*ALL THESE PEOPLE WATCHING*
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/all-these-people-watching/>
4 Small Actors with Big Parts <https://www.facebook.com/4smallactors/>
• VICTORIA/PORT COQUITLAM

Featuring Matt Lees (BFA ’90), Krista Wallace (BFA ’89), and current
student Maggie Lees (their daughter), (also joined by their son David
Lees), with stage manager Molly Mcdowell-Powlowski (current student),
and script advisor Nicole "Coco" Roberge (BFA '98).

/A family of actors on stage together for the first time: Mum, Dad
(Phoenix grads), Son (CapU grad) and Daughter (current Phoenix student),
explore themes of family, friendship, life and death. How does a tight
knit family stay that way amidst life’s challenges? Pie and beer may be
mentioned./

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/beaver-dreams/>
BEAVER DREAMS <http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/beaver-dreams/>*
Lost and Found Puppet Co. <http://www.lostandfoundpuppets.comL>• MONTREAL

Featuring Mika Laulainen (BFA '12)

/A schtick you can to sink your teeth into. Winner of 2 and nominated
for five Montréal Fringe Awards. “Nothing less than brilliant”– Savage
Clown Montréal. One family. Generation after generation. AND BEAVERS!
Sharing the same land, the same lake, and the same nightmare depicting
commercial development threatening their corner of paradise in the
Laurentians, Quebec. The best dam show! /Click for Facebook event.
<https://www.facebook.com/lostnfoundpuppetco/>

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/cafe-soap-operas/>CAFE SOAP OPERAS
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/cafe-soap-operas-2/>*
workingclass theatre
<https://workingclasstheatre.wixsite.com/cafesoapoperas> • VICTORIA

Created by Tristan Bacon (BFA'14) Directed by Tristan Bacon, Joanne
James (BFA'14), Emma Hughes (BFA15), Featuring Markus Spodzieja
(BFA'15), Emma Hughes, and Tristan Bacon.

//After a sold-out run at last year’s Fringe Festival, everyone’s
favorite coffee-shop sitcom is back with more caffeine, more drama and
more NERF than ever. Featuring an all-new season of original, sitcom
length episodes, Cafe Soap Operas! is good to the last drop. Don’t
forget to tip your Barista!

***<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/daddy-issues/>DADDY ISSUES
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/daddy-issues/>*
HUMAN VOLTAGE THEATRE PROJECT <https://www.facebook.com/humanvoltage/> •
VICTORIA

Directed and Created by Colette Habel (BFA '16), with Grace Le (BFA
'17), and current students SJ Valiquette and Arielle Parsons. Performed
by Colette Habel, Grace Le, SJ Valiquette and Arielle Parsons. Design by
Delaney Tesch (BFA '17), with stage management by current students Molly
McDowell-Powlowski and Siena Shephard, and marketing by Victoria Simpson
(BFA '17).

/Devised from true stories and memories, Daddy Issues is a collage of
vintage denim and classic rock that explores the relationships between
daughters and their fathers. This is for the dads that were always there
and never there; the dads we chose and those we didn’t; the dads we
wanted gone, and the dads who left us too soon. /Instagram:
@humanvoltagetheatreproj
<https://www.instagram.com/humanvoltagetheatreproj/>

*****<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-drowsy-chaperone/>*

*THE DROWSY CHAPERONE
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/the-drowsy-chaperone/>*St. Michaels
University School*
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/band-geeks/>*performed at St. Michaels
University School <https://www.smus.ca>

Directed by Cam Culham (MFA '03)

/In the spirit of Canada 150, SMUS presents the homegrown, smash hit
musical, The Drowsy Chaperone, winner of 5 Tony awards on Broadway. New
York Magazine has called it “the perfect Broadway musical,” as it gently
pokes fun at the myriad tropes that characterize the musical theatre
genre. Meet Man in Chair, an eccentric and engaging music theatre
enthusiastic, as he introduces us to a fictitious 1928 musical. It is an
affectionate send up of the Jazz Age musical, full of toe-tapping songs
and colourful characters, from pastry chef gangsters to starlets. /

*GEORGE AND GRACIE: A LOVE STORY
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/george-and-gracie-a-love-story/>
*WHERE'S NOONAN? • VICTORIA

Created by David MacPherson (BFA '91)

//Melissa Blank and David MacPherson present a loving tribute to George
Burns and Gracie Allen. “George: Do you like to kiss? Gracie: No.
George:What do you like? Gracie: Lambchops. George: (To himself)
Lambchops. George: Could you eat two big lamb chops alone? Gracie:
Alone? Oh no, not alone, with potatoes I could. George: You could.
Gracie: Yep.”

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/gruff/>GRUFF
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/gruff/>*
PUENTE THEATRE <http://www.puentetheatre.ca> • VICTORIA

Featuring Trevor Hinton (BFA '07)

/A rollicking puppet musical about what happens when the grass really is
greener on the other side, performed outdoors in a beautiful little park
by the sea — created by Mercedes Bátiz-Benét (Puente Theatre), Judd
Palmer (the Old Trout Puppet Workshop) and Brooke Maxwell (composer of
Ride the Cyclone). Singing goats! What more do you want?/

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/interstellar-elder/>*

*INTERSTELLAR ELDER <http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/interstellar-elder/>*
SNAFU DANCE THEATRE <http://www.snafudance.com>• VICTORIA

Co-creators by Kathleen Greenfield (BFA'05), Ingrid Hansen (BFA '09)and
Britt Small (MFA '04), Featuring Ingrid Hansen, with puppetry coach Mike
Petersen (previous student 1980-82). SNAFU Dance Theatre began at the
Phoenix in 2006!

/From Creators of sold-out shows Little Orange Man (5 stars– Vue Weekly)
and Kitt & Jane (4½ stars – Edmonton Journal). Meet Kitt, fierce lone
geriatric astronaut adrift in a spaceship carrying cryogenically frozen
human cargo. Her mission: protect the last of humankind. “Amazingly
versatile physical comedian with the Best Ending in the History of
Fringe.” – Montreal Gazette./

*JUKEBOX DRIVE <http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/jukebox-drive/>*
ENIGMATIC EVENTS <www.enigmatic.events/jukeboxdrive> • VICTORIA

Featuring current student Natasha Guerra and Amy Culliford (BFA '14).
with current student Emily Bamletter as co-director and technical lead).

/With Bon Jovi, they speed away from the scene of a crime; with Sinatra,
they share their first kiss; with Adele, they spread the ashes of their
dead friend. With music providing the backdrop, the actors of Jukebox
Drive take a different improvised road trip each night, with a
soundtrack influenced by the audience. See Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1389587624455783/>/
*LOLCOW <http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/lolcow/>
*HAWK MOM PRODUCTIONS <https://www.facebook.com/HawkMomTheatre> • VICTORIA

Created by Robbie Huebner (UVic Writing BFA '14, MFA'16), directed by
current student Karin Saari, featuring Pascal Lamothe-Kipnes (BFA '17)
and current students Annie Konstantinova, Taryn Roo Yoneda, and Caitlin
Holm. With film director Max Johnson (BFA '14), music/sound design by
Graham Roebuck (BFA '11) amd stage management by Maggie Lees and Emily
Friesen.

/“lolcow: (lol-kaʊ), n. person whose foolish behavior can be ‘milked’
for amusement.” Sheena’s boyfriend, Stan, is a lolcow. As an e-celebrity
Stan is successful, but Sheena finds herself targeted by online trolls,
the topic of an invasive podcast. A dark comedy that explores isolation,
longing, identity, and the thinning line between public and private life
in an increasingly digitized world./

**
*MONICA VS. THE INTERNET (TALES OF A SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR)
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/monica-vs-the-internet-tales-of-a-social-justice-warrior/>
*PATRONUS THEATRE <https://www.facebook.com/patronustheatrecompany/> •
VICTORIA

Created by previous student Monica Ogden and current student Ann-Bernice
Thomas.

/Monica vs. The Internet (Tales of a Social Justice Warrior) is an
honest account of a Filipina feminist on YouTube. Blending storytelling,
videos, and comments from her own channel, Monica explores the
implications of words through humor. Created by Monica Ogden, creator of
Fistful of Feminism, from award-winning Paper Street Theatre, and
Ann-Bernice Thomas, 2016 Youth Poet Laureate of Victoria./

***<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/o-come-all-ye-faithful/>*

*O COME ALL YE FAITHFUL
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/o-come-all-ye-faithful/>*Nicholas
Guerreiro • VICTORIA

Written by current student Nicholas Guerreiro, directed by current
student Elizabeth Martin, featuring students Brett Hay, and Anna Watts,
with design by Delaney Tesch (BFA '17) and Victoria Simpson (BFA'17) and
current student Matthew Wilkerson and stage mangement by current student
Siena Shepard.

/We promise it’s not about Christmas. Well, it’s a little bit about
Christmas. It’s also about a mysterious circular painting, a security
guard with an angry streak, a foul-mouthed art aficionado with a fake
name, and a Slovenian nihilist on a secret crusade. It’s about family,
faith, and non-representational art, and the weird bonds that hold
people together./

***<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/six-fine-lines/>SIX FINE LINES
<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/six-fine-lines/>*LEVEL-HEADED FRIENDS
PRODUCTIONS <http://www.mackgordontheatre.com> • VANCOUVER

Created and performed by Mack Gordon (BFA '08)

/Part-gameshow, part-memoir, part-house party, Six Fine Lines is a
living collage that combines fun and prizes with a story about losing
the people closest to you. A rolling, heaving, gameshow memoir, Six Fine
Lines is pop rocks for your head and heart./

*Note: As usual, only Phoenix students and alumni, and other UVic grads,
are listed. Kudos to the MANY MANY other artists involved!*

      *Other Alumni Events:*

*<http://intrepidtheatre.com/shows/o-come-all-ye-faithful/>*

*SHYLOCK
<https://bardonthebeach.org/2017/shylock/#%21/view/overview>*Bard on the
Beach in Vancouver
September 6-15, 2017

Written byMark Leiren-Young <http://leiren-young.com> (BFA'85)

/Meet Jon Davies, an actor and a Jew, condemned by his own community for
his portrayal of the Jewish moneylender in Shakespeare’s The Merchant of
Venice. When the production is cancelled, Davies uses his final
post-show talkback to raise provocative questions about censorship in
general and the political correctness of Merchant itself. Shylock was
first produced in 1996 at Bard and has since been staged around the world./

*<http://www.impulsetheatre.ca/peek-fest.html>**PEEK-FEST
<http://www.impulsetheatre.ca/peek-fest.html>*Impulse Theatre
<http://www.impulsetheatre.ca> in VICTORIA
September 22 - 24, 2017

Featuring plays and workshops by Andrew Barrett (BFA '12), Katherine
Greenfield (BFA'05), Randy Edmundston (BFA '12)/

Impulse Theatre’s PEEK-FEST is a new festival for emerging performing
artists in Victoria. The festival offers exciting new looks at work in
development from some of the province’s most innovative creators, while
seeking to grow the artistic development of local artists through
showcases and workshops.*
*

*Want more alumni stories?* Check out our Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> area of our website. Recognize
anyone? If you're alumni, please tell us what you've been up to. Submit
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/forms/phoenixalumnisurvey/biography//> your
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> bio online
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/> and yours could be the next
alumni profile on our website!

      Upcoming Phoenix Events:

*September 5 – 8, 2017*
*NEW NEW STUDENT WELCOME *
<http://www.uvic.ca/orientation/undergraduate/first-year-and-visiting/index.php>

September 5
& *UVSS CAMPUS KICK OFF* <https://uvss.ca/cko/>**
September 6-8

Soon, our students will return and our new students will arrive to
discover UVic for the first time. If you're a new student, attend the
New Student Orientation day
<http://www.uvic.ca/orientation/undergraduate/first-year-and-visiting/index.php>
on September 8. Check out the great line up of fun campus events and
concerts the UVSS presents during the first weeks of school, including
aPancake breakfast, Bands on the Roof, Movie in the Park, a Farmers'
Market, Clubs & Course Union <https://uvss.ca/campuskickoff/>days.

*Tuesday, September 19
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/current/orion-events.html#section0-0>
12:30pm – 2:00pm*
*DOCUMENTARY SCREENING:
*
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/current/orion-events.html#section0-0>*/Robin
& Mark & Richard III/*
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/current/orion-events.html#section0-0>
PHOENIX THEATRE
Free event presented by the
Orion Series in Fine Arts

/Robin & Mark & Richard III /is the story of an unusual collaboration
between one of Canada’s most influential directors, the late Robin
Phillips and gifted comedian, Mark McKinney (of /Kids in the Hall,
Saturday Night Live /and/Slings and Arrows/ fame). Over three years,
they dive into the mysteries of Shakespeare’s Richard III and discover
the power of “Shakespearituality”. Afterward the screening, join the
film's producers and co-directors, Martha Burns and Susan Coyne for a
Q&A.Check out the film trailer and read artist biographies.
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/current/orion-events.html#section0-0>

*<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/1-west/#1>October
12 – 21, 2017
**WEST: A tribute to BC Trailblazers
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/1-west/#1>*A
double bill by
Histrionics Theatre Company <https://histrionicstheatre.co>
/A Spotlight on Alumni featuring:/
Danette Boucher (BFA ‘89, MA ‘11)
and James Douglas (BA English ‘ 00)

/Presented by:/
<https://www.solutionsinsurance.com/uvic>
Two solo plays profiling two of our nation’s pioneering spirits. Travel
with Catherine O’Hare Schubert in /*Lady Overlander*/ for a lively
first-person account of the legendary woman who – while pregnant! –
walked from Winnipeg to Kamloops in 1862 with dreams of finding gold and
a home in a tantalizing new land called British Columbia. Then, join
charismatic American prospector Fred Marshall Wells in */The Fred Wells
Show/*. Follow his life, his love of pancakes, and his 1930s discovery
of the greatest mother load of the Depression-era gold rush. /“If only
history class had been this much fun... //a stellar performance.” //-
/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS /
/
*BOX OFFICE* opens on October 3. Subscription packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for 3 or 4 shows are available now and start at $39.00.

*November 9 – 25, 2017**//
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/>*
*THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2017-2018/2-chaillot/>*
By Jean Giraudoux
Adapted by Maurice Valency
Directed by Conrad Alexandrowicz

/Welcome to the whimsical world of Countess Aurelia, a flamboyant
holdover from a less cynical time. She whiles away her days sharing her
joie de vivre and cryptic wisdom with everyone she encounters until
corrupt businessmen discover oil beneath her Paris neighbourhood. With
everything she holds dear suddenly under threat, the Countess is driven
to unite the artists, vagabonds, oddballs and dreamers of Chaillot to
fight back. A poetic and comic fable of the triumph of good over evil
originally written in 1943 during the Nazi occupation of Paris, this
play has a whole new relevance in our current era of pipelines and
protests./

*BOX OFFICE* opens for this show opens on October 31.Subscription
packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for 3 shows, 4 shows are available now and start at $39.00.

*<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>/Want
//more alumni updates? /*Check out the Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/>area of our website. Email your
updates to us to be posted here in future eNews.

*<https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*Follow the most recent department and
alumni stories by liking us on*Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

*Subscribe & Save!
The best and most economical way to see great theatre is to subscribe to
a season of shows. Chose 3 or 4 show packages for $39 or $52. Plus,
subscribing gives you other useful perks like flexible free ticket
exchanges to other performances and discounts on extra tickets. Fill out
the online subscription form
<https://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>or
call Sandra at 721-8003 (after September 1) to book.

      Sponsor Kudos:

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students!

Thanks also to our supporters over the past year from the *Cadboro Bay
Village* <http://www.cadborobayvillage.com> including: *For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/>, Pepper's Foods
<http://peppers-foods.com/>, Smugglers' Cove Pub,
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com/> Caddy Bay Liquor Store
<http://www.caddybayliquor.com>, and* *Heart Pharmacy
<http://www.heartpharmacy.com>.*

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000.Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to discuss
a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W 2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2015