[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS > The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Sat Oct 4 18:31:02 PDT 2014

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	Fall 2014 . Act 8 Scene 2

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>| Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>| Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Sharing the magic

There's a little magic in the air each fall: leaves turning golden and
misty fog transforming our seaside town. Magic also happens here at the
Phoenix when we invite our graduates to return and present their own
work as part of our season. Alumni find themselves in the halls,
misty-eyed and nostalgic, and ready to share wonderful advice and
stories about their experiences in the working world of theatre. Our
current students get excited and inspired; working along side alum,
making connections and learning about the exciting career paths their
degree can take them in. Such is the magic happening the department this
past week as our students learn what lies on the other side of the wardrobe.

Read on to learn more about this year's Spotlight on Alumni, our shows
and events andupdates from our other grads and

      Behind the Scenes: Alumni find love at the Phoenix
      and a life together in theatre**

/"It feels like coming full circle/," says alumna *Kaitlin Williams
*(BFA'09).

Ten years ago, Kaitlin met *Mack Gordon *(BFA '08) when they were two
fresh-faced first-year students in the Department of Theatre. Now
married, they return to the stages of the Phoenix Theatre for our
Spotlight on Alumni with/* The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2014-2015/Lion-Witch-Wardrobe/>*/,
running October 9-18, 2014.

/"Kaitlin and I are blessed to work together as often as we do," /says
Mack.

In 2012, they were cast as Peter and Lucy in Pacific Theatre's
much-loved adaptation of C.S. Lewis' classic Narnia tale.

Written and published in 1950 by C.S. Lewis, this novel is the first and
most well-known story in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Ron Reed, the
Artistic Director of Pacific Theatre, adapted */The Lion, the Witch and
the Wardrobe/* for the stage, setting the play years later when Peter
and Lucy are adults. Stopping off to tour their Uncle Digory's house
they find themselves returning to the same spare room where the old
wardrobe sits and begin to recount all the adventures they had as
children. Their imaginations take over: using only the furniture in the
room and a few old coats from the wardrobe, they travel back to
Narnia---bringing the audience along with them.

A seasonal favourite, Pacific Theatre <http://pacifictheatre.org/> has
remounted this play many times to great acclaim since it first played in
1998. Over the past few years, Kaitlin and Mack have toured this show
across the province sharing the clasic story with many BC communities,
including stops at Kamloops' Western Canada Theatre, West Vancouver's
Kay Meek Centre and, of course, the play's home: Pacific Theatre. This
presentation at the Phoenix Theatre brings the play to Vancouver Island
for the first time.

Not many of us get to bring our spouses to work, but for Kaitlin and
Mack, acting together makes their careers more rewarding. They keep an
eye out for projects where they can perform together, whether it's
playing fiancés in the Jessie-winning production of /The Foreigner
/(shown above with John Voth) or Mr. Jake and Nellie Webster, a gold
miner and his wife at Barkerville Historic Town (shown below). /"We joke
that we are a 2-for-1 package," /laughs Kaitlin.

Besides the built-in convenient carpool, working together makes a big
difference on stage. /"Sharing the stage with someone you already trust
completely," /says Mack, /"allows you to take risks that you might
otherwise be apprehensive about. I sometimes feel akin to husbands and
wives who work in the circus on the flying trapeze; our first safety net
is always each other." /

Having their show selected as the Spotlight on Alumni presentation this
year also means an opportunity to share post-graduating advice with
current students. "/Our comprehensive education helped get us involved
in many areas of theatre, not just acting. The skills and connections we
gained -- whether backstage, studying marketing, working in the box
office, or collaborating with community groups -- have kept us working
in theatre over the years," /says Kaitlin.

Both actors have busy and multi-faceted careers that provide what they
call their "patchwork pay cheque." Mack is an actor for theatre, film,
and TV and also writes his own plays, works as a director (he recently
assisted director *Meg Roe (BFA '04)* at Bard on the Beach, shown left)
and does simulation acting for training purposes. Kaitlin has performed
on stages around Vancouver and was also the Community Engagement Manager
for Pacific Theatre, where she began right after university as an
apprentice. She now finds acting takes up all her time.

For Kaitlin especially, this show is close to her heart. As a 12-year
old girl, she attended Pacific Theatre's adaptation of/ The Lion, the
Witch and the Wardrobe/ and watching the actors transform into the
story's various characters -- from Mr. Tumnus and the Beaver, to the
evil White Witch and the mighty lion Aslan -- inspired Kaitlin to become
an actor herself.

/"Not only am I performing in this same play, but I get to perform with
my husband at my side, at the school where we met, 10 years later! It
feels like coming full circle -- times 10! "/

*NOTE:* If you're planning to attend /*The Lion, the Witch and the
Wardrobe*,/ take a look at our entire season
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/>. For the regular ticket price
of just two plays you could attend all four plays by subscribing to the
entire season for only $48
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>.
Or, choose just three plays for only $36.

      Upcoming Events: October/November

*October 9-18, 2014*
*The Lion, the Witch
and the Wardrobe*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2014-2015/Lion-Witch-Wardrobe/>
Our "Spotlight on Alumni" with Kaitlin Willams (BFA '09)
and Mack Gordon (BFA '08)

Presented by UVic
Alumni Association Affinity Partner:

<http://www.inalco.com/english/index.jsp>

/Adapted from the much-loved novel by C.S. Lewis, join Lucy and Peter as
they return the to the attic where their magical adventures began and
relive the memories of their magical adventure.
/

    * *Evening Performances:* Tuesday to Saturday @ 8pm
    * *Matinees:* Saturday October 11* & 18 @ 2pm
    * *One Preview ONLY:* Tuesday, October 7
      Preview tickets available only after 5pm on peformance day.
      Performance will be followed by a talkback session with the actors.
    * *Friday Lecture Series:* October 10 @7pm
      Before the show, join professor Jan Wood in discussion with alumni
      Kaitlin Williams and Mack Gordon about their careers in theatre
      together.
    * *Sign Language Interpretation:* October 11 @2pm
      * We're pleased to offer sign language interpretation
      <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2014-2015/Lion-Witch-Wardrobe/#section0-3>
      by Nigel Howard and Nicole Pedneault for our Deaf and Hard of
      Hearing community.

Box Office is open for single tickets
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/> now. Three or four
show subscription packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for only $36 or $48 still available.

*Wednesday, October 15, 2014 @ 6:30pm*
*You Can't Say That! Comedy, Censorship & Sensitivity
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/blog/?p=4258>*
With Mark Leiren-Young
Rm A240, Human & Social Development Blg.

Free lecture with the award-winning author, journalist, playwright,
screenwriter and Theatre/ Writing alumni about the changing nature of
humour, incorporating not only his own experiences, but also a critical
examination of what is funny in the 21st century. Mark is the 2014
Harvey Stevenson Southam Lecturer in Journalism and Nonfiction and the
author of the Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour for his memoir /"Never
Shoot a Stampeed Queen"/ which he has since been adapted for the stage.

*November 6 -- 22, 2014*
*PREVIEWS: Nov 4 & 5 *
*A Midsummer Night's Dream
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/season/2014-2015/Mid-summer-Nights-Dream/>*

By Wiliam Shakespeare
Directed by Fran Gebhard

/ Shakespeare's classic romantic comedy get's a fun edgy spin when it's
set in the underground punker culture of Greenwich Village in the late
1970s./

Box Office opens for single tickets
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/>on October 28. Three
or four show subscription packages
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/phoenix/tickets/season_subscriptions.html>
for only $36 or $48 available now.

<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2007-2008/duchess/index.html>

      Phoenix Phacts: Busy summer and fall for alumni

Our alumni were involved with lots of exciting events this summer.

The new movie "The F Word" was released to theatres across North America
this summer. Based on our *Mike Rinaldi* (BFA '96) and *TJ Dawe's* (BFA
'97) play */Toothpaste and Cigars, /*it stars Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe
Kazan and was featured at the 2013 Toronto Film Festival.
Congratulations you two!

The Gabriola Theatre Festival and it's Festival Director *Alina
Cerminara* (BFA '12) (shown right, in 20s theme from the festival
brochure) included many Phoenix alumni productions this year: *Lucas
Myers* (BFA '95) with PilotCopilot Theatre; *Clayton Jevne *(BFA '85,
MFA '87 and PhD '03) with Theatre Inconnu; *Chelsea Haberlin* (BFA '07),
*Amitai Marmorstein* (BFA '07) and *Sebastien Archibald* (BFA '07) with
ITSAZOO Productions; students *Molison Farmer*, *Kaeden Derksen, Hayley
Garnett, Samantha Lynch, Francis Melling *and alumna *Kathleen O'Reilly
*(BFA '14) with Kerploding Theatre; and *Cameron Fraser *(BFA '11) with
Break/Contemporary Circus.

Phoenixers once again had a great showing at the Victoria Fringe
Festival with more than 40 graduates and current students in over a
dozen shows. Many accolades to current student* Sean Brossard*, who won
the Pick-of-the-Fringe award for his show */The New Conformity/*, which
blended circus art and theatre to create an exciting new experience.
Always great to see so many alumni back in town during this time of year.

*Matthew Payne* (BFA '96), the Artistic Producer of Theatre SKAM
premiered the brand new Pop-Up Theatre at Rifflandia 2014, bringing very
short miniplays to festival-goers in an innovative theatre that travels
on the back of SKAM's Mobile Performance Venue (a renovated pick-up truck).

There were a couple of fantastic alumni announcements this summer.
Congratulations to *Pablo Felices-Luna*, (BFA '96) (shown right) who was
this summer appointed Artistic Director for the Manitoba Theatre for
Young People. Previously, Pablo was the Artistic Director of Carousel
Players in St. Catharines, Ontario.

UVic's Department of Writing announced that this year's Southam Lecturer
is* Mark Leiren-Young *(BFA '85), the hysterically funny author,
journalist, playwright, screenwriter, and actor who is a grad of both
the Theatre and Writing programs at UVic. As part of this appointment,
Mark will be giving a lecture about the nature of humour called /"You
Can't Say That! Comedy, Censorship & Sensitivity///" (More information
in calendar above.) If you miss his lecture, watch for Mark around town
and around campus this year ---he'll probably be wearing a 1980s'
Phoenix shirt!

This fall, the Victoria Theatre Guild presents a plethora of Phoenixers
on stage. Langham Court Theatre's production of */Pride and Prejudice/*,
October 2-18 includes theatre grads from then and now including *Ian
Case *(BFA '91) (in photo left in Green),* Katt Campbell* (BFA '08),
*Danielle Florence* (BFA '14), *Ian Simms *(BFA '14), *Melissa Taylor*
(BFA '14) (in photo left in red) and *Paul Terry* (BFA '89) join current
students, *Chase Hiebert*, *Ellen Law *and *Keshia Palm*on stage in this
adaptation by also alum *Janet Munsil* (BFA '89). The show was also
designed by alumna by *Carolyn Mitic* (BFA' 05). Wow! And if you missed
it this past summer, *Hayley McCurdy* (BFA '14) and *Tea Siskin* (BFA
'14) wowed in the hit Langham show */Boeing Boeing/*!

Also coming up, you can see current students *Alexa Carriere*, *Tim
Martin*, and recent grad *Tristan Bacon* (BFA '14) in the Peninsula
Player's */The Mousetrap/* at Berwick House Theatre (October 24-26) and
Charlie White Theatre (November 1-2).

Watch for* Chari Arespacochaga*, this year's Directing MFA candidate,
when she does a stint at the Belfry Theatre as Assistant Director for
their production of */Venus in Fur/* before she returns to the Phoenix
to direct */Amadeus /*this spring.

*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>/Want
//more alumni updates? /*Check out the Alumni Profiles
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/>area of our website. Email your
updates to us to be posted here in future eNews.

* <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*Watch for current stories by liking
us on *Facebook*
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Victoria-Phoenix-Theatre/133486040040658>
or following us on *Twitter <https://twitter.com/UVicPhoenix>*. Use
*#phoenixalumni* to stream on our alumni website or tag *@UVicPhoenix*
for us to retweet your event!

      Email Perks & Interesting Links:

You could win tickets to our /*A Midsummer Night's Dream*/ in November
by answering this skill testing question:

*/How old was alumna Kaitlin Williams when she was inspired to become an
actor? /*//

Email <mailto:phoenixalumni at uvic.ca> your answers before October 18 to
be entered into a draw for our next show!

      Sponsor Kudos:

Thank you to the Phoenix Theatre's many individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and corporate sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students!

Find out how your company can reach our 10,000 audience members and UVic
community of over 25,000. Contact us <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> to
discuss a customized sponsorship package to meet your goals.

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre, PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC,
V8W2Y2 Canada. The University of Victoria is a Registered Charity.
Charitable Registration No. 10816 2470 RR0001

*If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, click here
<https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/options/phoenix-enews>* *and enter your
address and click Un-Subscribe*. A confirmation message will be emailed
to you. You can reply to this message to confirm that you want to be
removed from this mailing list. This message also has a link that you
can click on to complete the removal process.

	© University of Victoria 2014