[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS: November > Yerma

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Wed Nov 10 15:11:04 PST 2010

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	Fall 2010 . Act 4 Scene 3

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>| Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>| Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Phoenix BackstagePASS

Ever wonder what about the energy and stamina it takes to get ready for
Opening night? Our student actors commit to 24 hours of rehearsals each
week for over 6 weeks. And that's on top of their other studies. In this
BackstagePASS, go behind the scenes with the story of one student's
first rehearsal process.

      Behind the Scenes: Firsts:
      A first-hand account of my first Phoenix production

*Written by Asia Wolfe*
/Second-year theatre student Asia Wolfe was cast for our November
production of Yerma. This has been her first experience in the rehearsal
process at the Phoenix and during the past 6 weeks, she has not only
learned all her lines and stage directions, but she has also learned to
sing in Spanish and become competent in basic flamenco dance steps and
hand movements! All this, and she still get her got her theatre history
essay in on time. However, as you'll read, the journey was also an
emotional one./

It's ten thirty on a Thursday night. My feet hurt and I'm chowing down
on a banana and some left over cornbread because it is quick and easy,
appreciating the comfort of my bed more than I can say. However, while I
am exhausted, I can safely say that along with the weariness and anxiety
that is running through my veins, there is also joy pulsing beside it.
Because like so many actors and actresses before me, I am now less than
a week away from opening night, and it's all becoming sharply real.

Oh, boy.

The past month and a half has been a frenzied scramble to juggle class,
homework, a job and rehearsal, but to be entirely honest, despite the
fact that I have the least free time I've ever had in my life, I am at
my happiest. Granted, I complain about my lack of a life outside the
theatre, but I really only do it because it seems the thing to do. I
can't bring myself to mean it.

As I take stock of the last year, I find myself thinking of the hours I
put in ushering for the Phoenix's production of */Romeo and Juliet/
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2009-2010/RomeoJuliet/index.html>*
last November. I know these roles are important to the functioning of a
theatre, but, as I drove home after one of the productions, it felt as
though I, the lowly concession usher whose hands still smarted from the
coffee I'd spilled on them that evening, would, could never work my way
up to being onstage.

But here I am, just a year later, preparing to open in a show. The past
month has been so surreal for me, being a part of this beautiful,
staggering collective project that has progressed from a group of people
sitting around a table reading lines into a thriving, soaring creation
that no matter how many times we rehearse it, I just can't seem to get
over my awe. I am humbled by the dedication, passion and talent I find
myself surrounded by. Every day with my cast is a revelation, both in
terms of the play itself and indeed, in myself.

A month and a half ago I knew practically none of the people in my cast.
I lived at home for my first year and continue to do so, and am ashamed
to admit that I was a bit of a social recluse last year. I can only
speak for myself, but I feel as though these six or so weeks spent in
each other's company more often than not have forged bonds. I can
confidently say that this, my first show with the Phoenix, has been the
most positive and enlightening theatrical experience of my life. The
cast meshes like we were made to work together, we have a fantastic
director and production team who have done more than I though humanly
possible to make this show exceptional. Every single person in this show
has gone above and beyond any call of duty, and the commitment that I
have seen during the creation of this show is intensely moving.

It's a terrifying thing to stand up in front of strangers -- you the
audience -- and bare oneself and one's work to their appraising eyes.
But I find that beneath the customary butterflies, I have no fear of
failure. Because when you know you're there to catch the other people if
they stumble, how can you doubt that they'd be there to stop your fall too?

      Upcoming Events: November

*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2010-2011/Clown/index.html>November
9 & 10, 2010:
* *$6 Public Preview* <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/box-office/>
*Performances of */*Yerma
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2010-2011/Yerma/index.html>*
/Tickets are available to the public after 5pm on day of performance, by
phone or in person.

* N**ovember 11-- 27, 2010:**
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2010-2011/Clown/index.html>Yerma
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2010-2011/Yerma/index.html>*

P/resented by//logo <http://www.iaplife.com/>//
/

*
*

By Federico García Lorca
Directed by Warwick Dobson

Evening Performances @ 8pm
Matinee November 27 @ 2pm

*/Yerma/* tells the passionate and poetic tale of a young married woman
as she struggles to become a mother in rural pre-revolutionary Spain.
Trapped within the confines of an increasingly loveless marriage and
judged by a repressive community, her escalating desperation leads her
to an unconventional and reckless course of action. The play was written
by Lorca, the controversial Spanish poet, playwright and director as a
critique of his country's strict moral code.

*Friday, November 12 @ 7pm:
/Yerma/ Preshow Lecture:
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2010-2011/Yerma/index.html>*Join
us for a free lecture on the first Friday of each production. This
Friday, Dr. Marina Bettaglio will lecture on /Yerma, or the Tragedy of
Sterility/: Set within the political context of the short-lived Spanish
Second Republic (1931-1939), /Yerma /stages the conflicts of unfulfilled
desire. This lecture is FREE to everyone. It will also be recorded and
the audio file posted on the Phoenix website next week. Stay tuned!

*Monday, November 29, 2010
Deadline for <../images/AlumniCall11-12.pdf>**Submissions for 2011/12
"Spotlight on Alumni"* <../images/AlumniCall11-12.pdf>*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/pdf/AlumniCall10-11.pdf>*LAST CALL!
Final reminder to submit your alumni theatre projects to your old alma
mater! The Department of Theatre invites our alumni to submit a proposal
for the department's October 2011 "Spotlight on Alumni" show in the
Phoenix Theatre's 2011/12 season. Click here for details.
<../images/AlumniCall11-12.pdf>

*February 24 -- March 5, 2011: **Twelfth Night*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/>
By William Shakespeare
Directed by Linda Hardy

*March 17 -- 26, 2011: **Inside
* <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/>WORLD PREMIERE!!* *By Daniel
MacIvor <http://www.danielmacivor.com/>
Guest Director David Ferry
<http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=Ferry,%20David>

<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2007-2008/duchess/index.html>

      Phoenix Phacts:
      News on Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Students

It's a Phact! The University of Victoria was officially ranked one of
the top 200 universities in the world. Recently lauded in an article in
the Globe and Mail,
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadas-universities-make-the-grade-globally/article1709616/>UVic
was ranked 130 against other university institutions in the Times Higher
Education World Ranking
<http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/>. **

*Dr. Monica Prendergast* (Adjunct Assistant Professor / PhD ' 06)), and
*Juliana Saxton* (Professor Emeritus) with the Department of Theatre
were awarded the American Alliance for Theatre and Education
<http://www.aate.com> (AATE) Distinguished Book of the Year award for
their edited volume /Applied Theatre: International Case Studies and
Challenges for Practice
<http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4646/>(/Intellect
Books, 2009). This is Juliana's second AATE DBA, the first was for /Into
the Story: Language in Action through Drama /(2004) co-authored with
Prof. Carole Miller, whose late husband, Dr. Harvey Miller, was a
faculty member here in the department in the directing specialization.

*Timothy O'Gorman, *Technical Director and staff instructor at the
Phoenix was involved in the making of David Suzuki's new film, /Force of
Nature <http://legacy.davidsuzuki.org/>. /The film weaves together the
esteemed Canadian environmentalist's life and career with segments of an
impactful lecture given at the UBC Chan Centre last December. It was
favorably reviewed by the Globe and Mail
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/force-of-nature-a-powerful-portrait-of-david-suzuki/article1735077/>
last month as "the most convincing and fascinating argument yet heard on
every person's right to a clean Earth." O'Gorman was the onsite
Technical Director for the lecture portion of the film.

*Victor Dolhai* (BFA'07) will be joining ten other young actors from
across Canada to study under Martha Henry at the Birmingham Conservatory
for Classical Theatre
<http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/education/professionals.aspx?id=1168>
at the Stratford Theatre Festival. Birmingham is the only conservatory
program in North America which concentrates exclusively on training for
the classical actor and which actually takes place within a classical
repertory theatre. All members of the Conservatory will be offered
contracts for the 2011 Stratford Season.
<http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/landingpages/default.aspx?id=11274>
Victor made his Stratford debut
<http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/about/company.aspx?id=6377>this year
appearing in */As You Like It/*
<http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/OnStage/productions.aspx?id=6039&prodid=31461>*/,
/*and */The Winter's Tale
<http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/OnStage/productions.aspx?id=6052&prodid=31477>/*.
We look forward to hearing about his future appearances on the Stratford
stage!

*Charles Ross * (BFA '98) is home, but not for a break! He recently
brought his globetrotting shows, /One Man Star Wars/
<http://intrepidtheatre.wordpress.com/>and /One Man Lord Of The /
<http://intrepidtheatre.wordpress.com/>/Rings/ back to Victoria for
fundraising performances for Intrepid Theatre. He sat down for a Q&A
with Intrepid about his shows and possible new works. Really? Pride and
Predjudice? Click here to read on!
<http://intrepidtheatre.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/omswomlotr-charles-ross-a-thon/#more-973>

This past summer, The Other Guys Theatre Company
<http://www.otherguystheatre.ca/company>, including theatre alumni *Kelt
Eccleston* (BFA) and *Ross Desprez* (BFA '92) produced their show /Good
Timber: Songs and Stories of the Western Logger
<http://vicreviews.blogspot.com/2010/07/good-timber-and-importance-of-being.html>/inconjunction
with the Royal BC Museum's BC History.
<http://www.otherguystheatre.ca/company>The project, inspired by a
collection of poems entitled /Rhymes of a Western Logger /by Robert E.
Swanson, also included actor/musicians John Gogo and other UVic alumni
Colleen Eccleston, Sarah Donald and Mark Hellman. The creative team
included musical director Tobin Stokes (BMus) and theatre alumni *Keith
Houghton *(lighting designer) (BFA '01) and *Erin Macklem *(costume
designer) (BFA '98).

      Email Perks & Interesting Links:

*Still time! *
Attend the three remaining plays in the 2010/11 season at the Phoenix
for only $33! That's up to 50% of the single ticket price! Click here to
see our season on our website <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/>,
download the subscription order form (PDF)
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/pdf/Season-Flyer2010-11.pdf> or call
the Phoenix Box Office at 250-721-8000.

      Sponsor Kudos:

The Phoenix Theatre would like to thank our individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and community sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students! Thank you!

* Community Partner: Cadboro Bay Village
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com/> * Cadboro Bay Village Merchants
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com>
Including: Cadboro Bay Book Company, For Good Measure
<http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca>, People's Compounding Pharmacy,
Pepper's Foods <http://www.peppers-foods.com>and Smugglers Cove
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com>

Contact Adrienne Holierhoek <mailto:aholierh at uvic.ca> for information
about how your company can support emerging theatre artists at UVic.