[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS eNews: November 2009

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Thu Nov 5 17:40:00 PST 2009

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	November 2009 . Act 3 Scene 3

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>| Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>| Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Phoenix BackstagePASS

In a world still fraught with strife, the Phoenix Theatre presents a
provocative interpretation of */Romeo & Juliet/* set in the Holy Land.
Director, Brian Richmond comments /"Perhaps now, more than ever, we need
the great plays of Shakespeare to remind us of just how sad and tragic
the consequences of this failure to resolve our differences is to us,
and the youth that will inherit the world we have created." /

See below for more about the desert-inspired set design and the
Turkish-born designer who brings his experience and innate understanding
of Eastern cultures to the design of our /Romeo & Juliet/.

      Behind the Scenes: Romeo & Juliet's set designed from Kerem
      Çetinel's 'old world' perspective

Shakespeare's enduring and tragic love story undergoes a provocative
change of scenery in the Phoenix Theatre's production of /*Romeo &
Juliet*/. Director Brian Richmond
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/brian_richmond.html>
places his production in the Holy Land, and, through the lens of the
many cultures that inhabit this region, brings a politically-charged and
universal reading to the themes in Shakespeare's classic play.

/"It's not likely that Shakespeare ever visited Italy...This has led me
to believe that what he had in mind ... had nothing to do with drawing a
portrait of the enormously creative , yet politically unstable setting
of Italian states, but rather an allegory for his own time and equally
volatile country."/ says Richmond.

/In my view, the allegory of Romeo and Juliet paints -- first a comic,
then a tragic -- portrait of a society that suffers from its inability
to solve its ancient enmities between man and man, and man and women,"/
says Richmond.

Richmond repositions this allegory into a land that has a tumultuous
history of political divisions and cultural differences with the
assistance of set designs by department sessional instructor Kerem
Çetinel
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/Kerem_cetinel2.html> and
elaborate costumes designed by professor Mary Kerr
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/mary_kerr.html>.

/ /

/Kerem Çetinel at the Pergamum ancient
//hillside theatre near Bergama, Turkey./

Born and raised in Turkey, Kerem brings his experience and innate
understanding of Eastern cultures to his unique desert-inspired set
design. With a stage floor full of desert sand and a backdrop featuring
a weathered and war-torn wall, his scenery creates an atmosphere that
symbolizes the divided territory.

"/It was important for the set to capture a feeling of the old world,"/
says Kerem. /"A world that has thousands of years of history making its
mark on the land and the people living on it."/

He describes this old world feeling conceptually: as layers upon
interconnected layers of dirt and dust, covering rich mosaics, encrusted
by ancient plaster, chipped by time, changed by different cultures, and
covered again by sand. For his set of /Romeo and Juliet/, Kerem uses
light projections of cultural symbols and iconography to illustrate
these layers.

/"Dusty at first sight, but when you sift through it there are riches of
history, religion and traditions that are revealed." /says Kerem.

It reveals beauty, but it is also part of the strife that is be found in
these regions. Kerem uses a weathered and bullet-ridden wall to
symbolize these strifes and the divisions between cultures. /"There are
many walls in the Holy Land -- the seperation wall in West Bank and the
ancient wailing wall are just two examples -- that stand and represent
traditions and beliefs and yet they are physically part of these
people's everyday lives." /

///Kerr's costume design for Juliet inspired by Muslim clothing.///

/"Just like the forces that separate Romeo from Juliet, I wanted the
backdrop wall of the set to symbolize walls that are errected by
traditions and religions and to physicalize these separations."/

Mary Kerr's costumes continue this representation of the cultural
barriers between the families representing the Montagues as Jewish, the
Capulets as Muslims, and the Prince and Friars as Christian
representatives of a UN Peacekeeping troupe. Researched and drawn from
traditional sources, they offer an abstracted and theatricalized version
of their traditional inspirations.

Shakespeare's allegory of a land divided by feuding still resonates
today, as the television brings us words images of distant lands locked
in decades of strife. Brian Richmond believes, there is still something
for contemporary audiences to learn from the great plays of Shakespeare,
perhaps now, more than ever.

      Upcoming Events: November

*November 5-- 21: **Romeo & Juliet
*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2009-2010/RomeoJuliet/index.html>
By William Shakespeare
Directed by Brian Richmond
/Presented by/

/ <http://www.iaplife.com/>
/

*NOW OPEN:* Box Office Open
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/box-office/>for /Romeo and Juliet
/tickets. Please note there is an alternate cast for some performances.
Click here to see the schedule
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2009-2010/RomeoJuliet/index.html>.
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/box-office/>

*November 6 at 7:00pm:* *Free Pre-Show Lecture*
Everyone is welcome to join us for our FREE Pre-Show Lecture, Friday
November 6 at 7:00pm with Dr. Janelle Jenstad
<http://english.uvic.ca/faculty/janelle_jenstad.html> from UVic's
Department of English for her talk Shakespeare's Experiment in
Comi-Tragedy. This free lecture is open to everyone, including those
with play tickets for alternate evenings.

*November 27: 2009/10 "Spotlight on Alumni" Call for Submissions
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/pdf/AlumniCall10-11.pdf>*
The Department of Theatre invites our alumni to submit a proposal for
the department's October 2010 "Spotlight on Alumni" position in the
Phoenix Theatre's 2010/11 season. Click here for details.
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/pdf/AlumniCall10-11.pdf> Deadline for
submissions is November 27, 2009.

*Upcoming in 2010* <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/index.html>

*February 18 -- 27, 2010: **Problem Child*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/>
By George F. Walker
Guest Director Michael Shamata (Artistic Director, Belfry Theatre)

*March 18 -- 27, 2010: **Wreckage
* <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/>By Sally Stubbs
Directed by Fran Gebhard

<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2007-2008/duchess/index.html>

      Phoenix Phacts:
      News on Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Students

Pacific Opera Victoria's <http://www.pov.bc.ca/rake.html> upcoming
production /*The Rake's Progress*/ (November 12-21) features a set
design by Theatre professor *Allan Stitchbury*
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/faculty/bios/allan_stichbury.html>.
Stichbury has just completed a set for */The Miracle Worker/* at the
Vancouver Playhouse Theatre
<http://www.vancouverplayhouse.com/current-season/2009/the-miracle-worker.php>.

*Kate Dion Richard *(BFA'06), the sister of Samantha Richard, one the
actors performing the role of Juliet in the Phoenix production, is
making a splash in London England. She stars as Nora in the Candyking
Theatre Company's
<http://www.candykingtheatre.co.uk/previous_performances.html>
production of */A Doll House/* which played at the Greenwich Playhouse
in September.

<http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/Review+Atomic+Vaudeville+Cyclone+roars+back/2143298/story.html>A
cyclone roared back into Victoria in October as Atomic Vaudeville
<https://www.atomicvaudeville.com/%7Eatomicva/>re-launched the Jacob
Richmond and Brooke Maxwell play */Ride the Cyclone
<http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/Review+Atomic+Vaudeville+Cyclone+roars+back/2143298/story.html>/*
featuring a roller-coaster car full of theatre alumni including *Rielle
Braid* (BFA'08), *Kholby Wardell *(BFA'07), *Celine Stubel* (BFA'02),
*Timothy Johnston* (BFA'07), *Sarah Pelzer *(BFA'08) and *Carey Wass*
(BFA'07).

Theatre professor *Mary Kerr*'s set design for */Copper Thunderbird/*
/--/ a production from 2007 at the National Arts Centre
<http://www.nac-cna.ca/en/whatson/results.cfm?EventID=4778> /--/ was
chosen from over a thousand entries as a finalist in the international
World Stage 2009 competition, held in Seoul, Korea. It was one of 259
finalists that will be shown in a gallery exhibition in conjunction with
the competition. She is currently working with the Citadel Theatre
<http://www.citadeltheatre.com/events.php?eventid=719&cat=43> for their
2010 production of */Sweeny Todd/*.

Check out past Phoenix Phacts <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/>
on our website.

Phoenix Box Office or by calling *250-721-8000*.

      Sponsor Kudos:

The Phoenix Theatre would like to thank our individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and community sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students! Thank you!

* Season Community Partner: Cadboro Bay Village
<http://www.cadborobayvillage.com/> *
Cadboro Bay Village Merchants <http://www.cadborobayvillage.com>
Cadboro Bay Book Company, Cadboro Bay Village Service & Auto Repair,
For Good Measure <http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca>, People's Compounding
Pharmacy, Pepper's Foods, <http://www.peppers-foods.com>Smugglers Cove
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com> and Vision 2000 Blaney's Travel
<http://www.blaneystravel.com/>

*Season Ticket Sponsor:*
Grand & Toy: Performance Enhancing Offices
<http://www.grandandtoy.com/sites/corp/default.aspx>

Contact Adrienne Holierhoek <mailto:aholierh at finearts.uvic.ca> for
information about how your company can support emerging theatre artists
at UVic.