[Phoenix-eNews] PHOENIX THEATRE: BackstagePASS - February 2009

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Wed Feb 18 17:19:16 PST 2009

Phoenix Theatre: BackstagePASS
	February 2009 . Act 2 Scene 4

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/enews/>

eNews <#enews>| Behind the Scenes <#bs> | Upcoming <#events> | Phoenix
Phacts <#alumni>| Perks <#Perks> | Kudos <#sponsor>

      eNews: Phoenix BackstagePASS

Recovering from Valentine's Day? Consider love from a Freudian
perspective with our spring play */La Ronde/* that follows ten couples
through their psychological dance of passion, power and seduction. See
below for more information on playwright Arthur Schniztler and his
friend and contemporary Sigmund Freud, and the sexual revolution in
Vienna during the late-19th-century.

      Behind the Scenes: Analyze this!
      The Influence of Freud in 19th-Century Vienna

In the 19th century, Vienna was a vibrant cultural capital and the home
to many influential scientists, intellectuals and artists. The capital
of the Austrian Empire from 1804, and then of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire from 1867, the city played a major role in European and world
politics. By 1910, it was one of the six largest cities in the world
with more than 2 million inhabitants.

One of its most prominent residents was Sigmund Freud (1856-1939), the
father of psychology. A friend of Freud, playwright Arthur Schnitzler
also lived in Vienna and was impacted by Freud's radical new ideas about
sex and psychology, which he integrated into his play */Der Reign/* or
*/La Ronde/*. Also in Vienna during their time was the young artist Egon
Schiele who's controversial and provocative drawings show the signs of
Freud's influence as well. These three gentlemen changed the culture of
Vienna in the late 19th- and turn-of-the-century and play a role in the
Phoenix's production of */La Ronde/*.

Sigmund Freud's theories on psychology and analysis highly influenced
his contemporaries in Vienna and across the world. His concept of the
human mind's internal organization and operation ushered in new concepts
of consciousness for the 20th century. He hypothesized that our human
behaviour is conditioned by and resulting from our subconscious self,
theorizing that our personality is developed by our childhood
experiences. His patients were invited to talk through their problems to
try to locate and release the 'emotional energy' that had originally
been locked in the unconscious mind -- a concept he later coined as
"repression." This 'talking cure' was the basis for psychoanalysis,
which he felt could uncover memories that might lead to physical and
emotional disorders of the human psyche.

Freud experimented with his theories by exploring his own psyche
including the "Oedipus Syndrome" (when the son loves his mother sexually
and despises his father). /"I found in myself a constant love for my
mother, and jealousy of my father. I now consider this to be a universal
event in childhood,"/ said Freud. He theorized that each stage into
adult sexual maturity was characterized by a fixation that pertained to
stages throughout their childhood development. For instance, the oral
stage, which is explained by a child's pleasure during nursing; the anal
stage which is explained by a child's pleasure in excretion of feces;
and finally the phallic stage, refering to a child's fascination with
genetalia. Freud concluded that the human psyche repressed desires from
their psychosexual development in an attempt to deal with issues of a
disturbing nature.

Arthur Schnitzler (1862-1931) was a playwright and author who was a
friend of Freud. In a letter to Schnitzler, Freud writes: /"You have
learned through intuition -- though actually as a result of sensitive
introspection -- everything that I have had to unearth by laborious work
on other persons"./ Schnitzler's works were often on the themes of sex
and death. Schnitzler was quoted as stating /"What other subjects are
there?"/

As Freud alluded to in his letter, Schnitzler came to his own
fascination of these subjects honestly and early in life. Schnitzler's
father discovered his son's diary and the young man's growing habit of
frequenting prostitutes. But rather than banning his son from this
practice, Schnitlzer's father forced him to read explicit medical
information and observe highly detailed photographs of sexually
transmitted infections, such as syphilis. Schnitzler could not satiate
his sexual appetite and continued associating with women of ill repute.
His diaries include meticulous notation of his sexual conquests,
including numbers and details of the orgasms achieved. This information
was then used to calculate a monthly average of women he experienced.
The document is claimed to be 8,000 pages long!

Written in 1897, Schnitzler's play */La Ronde/* follows the romantic
encounters of ten couples: from prostitute with a soldier, to a soldier
with a chambermaid, with a young gentlemen... and so on. It was deemed
so controversial that it was not published until 1900 and not performed
until 1921. Its premiere created a huge scandal in Vienna and the play
was declared "Jewish filth." All the actors received a jail term on
charges of obscenity, and further performances of the play were banned
across Europe until after Schnitzler's death in 1931.

The much-acclaimed young Austrian artist Egon Schiele also felt rejected
from the city of Vienna for his provocative art. Schiele studied at the
Akademie der Bildenden Kunste, but left because of the conservative
constraints he felt the school had on his artistic freedom. Like
Schnitzler, his work also concentrated on the themes of life, death and
sex, using exaggerated techniques and watercolour to express this style.
His images of partially clothed young women in provocative poses
confronted the viewer with their sexuality. (See /Seated Woman with Bent
Knee /below)

Schiele was driven out of Vienna because of allegations that he was
employing young girls as models. He was investigated and arrested when
the court discovered his "immoral and pornographic" artwork. In court,
the judge took ten of Schiele's paintings and burned them by candlelight
in the courtroom! He was imprisoned for nearly a month. Afterwards he
married and left Vienna, but died at the age of 28 of influenza, three
days after his wife.

The raw expression of Schiele's work continues to make his art
compelling to audiences today and was the inspiration of Cat Haywood and
Paphavee Limkul's costume and set designs -- as well as the poster --
for the Phoenix Theatre's production of */La Ronde/*.

      Upcoming Events: February - March

*February 19 -- 28: **La Ronde *
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2008-2009/LaRonde/index.html>
By Arthur Schnitzler
Directed by Conrad Alexandrowicz

*February 11:* Box Office Open
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/box-office/>for /La Ronde/ tickets.

*February 17 & 18 at 8:00pm:* *$6 Preview Nights*On a budget? Join us
for Preview nights --- the Tuesday and Wednesday before our show opens
--- for only $6! Tickets are available in person or by phone
(250-721-8000) at the box office on the day of the show beginning at 5pm.

*February 20 at 7:00pm:* *Free Pre-Show Lecture*Join Dr. Helga Thorson
from UVic's Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies for a lecture on
*/"Schnitzler's Vienna"/*

*February 28: **Sign Language Interpretation*Experience */La Ronde/*
with special sign language interpretation. International Deaf
interpreter Nigel Howard will be signing the dialogue and play
description of /La Ronde/ with hearing interpreter Mary Warner. Our play
interpretations have been a moving experience for all audience members
and everyone involved on stage! We're proud to be able to bring the
magic of theatre to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community again. This
initiative is made possible with support from the UVic Equity and Human
Rights Office.

*March 5, 6 & 7: FIND Studio Series 2009
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2008-2009/Studio/index.html>*A
series of five one-act plays written by emerging playwrights from the
Department of Writing and performed and directed as staged readings by
Theatre Students. Audiences can pick and choose the plays that most
interest them, or stay for the entire evening! Performances begin at 7pm
with two intermissions in our funky coffee-house setting in the lobby.
Click here for full play descriptions and schedule
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2008-2009/Studio/index.html>.

*March 19 -- 28: **Medea
* <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/index.html> By Euripides
Directed by Linda Hardy

<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/season/2007-2008/duchess/index.html>

      Phoenix Phacts:
      News on Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Students

UVic alumna *Erin Karpluk *(BFA '00) has been in the news very much of
late with her new series "Being Erica" <http://www.cbc.ca/beingerica/>
running on CBC Monday evenings at 9pm. The Globe & Mail
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/GAM.20090105.DOYLE05/TPStory/TPComment>
featured her in an article, she has been on CBC Radio's "Q"
<http://www.cbc.ca/q/> with Jian Ghomeshi (listen to podcast)
<http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html?42#ref42>, interviewed
by both Elle Canada and Hello Canada magazines as well as appearing in
countless ads across the country.

*Chelsea Haberlin* (BFA '07) is the new General Manager of Blue Bridge
Theatre, <linkto:http://www.bluebridgetheatre.ca> the new theatre
company in Victoria which we offers opportunities to an emerging
generation of theatre artists to work with professionals. Tickets for
their summer 2009 season go on sale March 16.

*Jennifer Lines* (BFA '94) received rave reviews for her performance in
"The Real Thing" at the Belfry Theatre
<http://www.belfry.bc.ca/Shows/03-real_thing.htm>. The popular
production has been held over until February 22.

Check out past Phoenix Phacts <http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/alumni/>
on our website.

      Email Perks & Interesting Links:

Did you know that one of our community partners - *For Good Measure* in
Cadboro Bay Village - gives away tickets to the Phoenix Theatre
regularly throughout our season? Sign up for their weekly newsletter at
www.forgoodmeasure.ca <http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca/> for weekly
specials chances to win! You'll also receive 10% off your first order!

Thanks to Mark at For Good Measure for his amazing community support!

      Sponsor Kudos:

The Phoenix Theatre would like to thank our individual donors
<http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/donations/> and community sponsors for
their support of our programs and talented students! Thank you!

* Season Community Partner: Cadboro Bay Village
<http://www.grandandtoy.com/sites/corp/default.aspx> *
Cadboro Bay Village Merchants <http://www.cadborobayvillage.com>
Blaney's Travel, Bliss Boutique Spa, Cadboro Bay Book Company,
Cadboro Bay Village Service, Edward Jones
<http://www.edwardjones.com/cgi/getHTML.cgi?page=/CAN/home/index.html>,
For Good Measure <http://www.forgoodmeasure.ca>, People's Pharmacy,
Pepper's Foods, <http://www.peppers-foods.com>Smugglers Cove
<http://www.smugglerscovepub.com>

*Season Ticket Sponsor:*
Grand & Toy: Performance Enhancing Offices
<http://www.grandandtoy.com/sites/corp/default.aspx>

Contact Adrienne Holierhoek <mailto:aholierh at finearts.uvic.ca> for
information about how your company can support emerging theatre artists
at UVic.