[Phoenix-eNews] University of Victoria | Phoenix Theatre eNews: October 2007

Information about the Phoenix Theatre @ UVic phoenix-enews at lists.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 5 13:29:49 PDT 2007

Welcome!  ...to our first issue of our new email magazine for Phoenix
Theatre subscribers, previous and current ticket holders, and those
of you who are interested in the season of plays produced at the
University of Victoria's Department of Theatre.

If you are receiving this email, you have either given your email
address to us as a contact or have signed up at the UVic list-serve
website. Should you wish to unsubscribe, click on the link at the
bottom of the page and follow the instructions on the UVic mailing
list website.

We hope you enjoy it!

Phoenix Theatre @ UVic: eNews
October 2007 • Act 1 Scene 1

If this email does not display properly, please see our website
phoenixtheatres.ca

eNews | Behind the Scenes | Upcoming | Phoenix Phacts | Perks | Kudos

eNews: Calling all clever theatre puns -Name the new Phoenix eNews!

Welcome to our first issue of the Phoenix Theatre eNews! We wanted to
offer you – our subscribers, ticket holders, and those of you who are
just curious – a way to learn more what are we up to. But also, we
wanted to share some of the inspirational stories about the plays
that we've chosen for this season's productions. We'll go behind the
scenes and in depth into their captivating subject matter.

It will be fun, interesting and insightful… We promise!

But first our new email magazine needs a ingeniously clever name!
Sure,         the Phoenix eNews tells you what it IS – but we're
looking for those witty and poignant comments on who we ARE to really
sum it up. Help us! Vote       on one of the names below, or give us
your best suggestion:

Applause
Backstage Pass
Phoenix Stage Left
Prologue
The Phoenix Scene
The Green Room
Send us your ideas and you could win 2 tickets to an upcoming play!
Email ideas to aholierh at uvic.ca by October 22.

Behind the Scenes: The Real Woman Behind The Ugly Duchess

With text from Castle Tyrol Museum

What does it mean to be so ugly that your portrait makes it into the
annals of art history?

Such is the story of Margaret Maultasch, the 14th century monarch of
Tyrol who is represented in the work of Leonardo da Vinci and 15th-
century painter Quinten Massys. Her reputed portrait, titled "A
Grotesque Old Woman," (image right) now sits on the walls of the
National Gallery in London where it inspired Victoria playwright and
UVic alumna, Janet Munsil to tell her Gothic tale of beauty, power,
politics and the plague.

"I was wandering around the National Gallery in London, a totally
overwhelmed tourist, when I came face-to-face with…"The Ugly
Duchess," says Munsil.

Margaret, Countess of Tyrol was a real woman who lived from 1318 to
1369 and was given the unfortunate nickname "Maultasch" or "ugly
mouth." The origin of this name has never really been satisfactorily
explained although her representation in art of the 15th century do
little to improve her image. She has, in fact, been described in
various unkind ways – as an absurdly unattractive, vicious, wicked
woman and unfaithful wife – yet the reason for such negative comments
is much disputed. Was she actually so badly disfigured as to deserve
the nickname "big mouth" and was she really so devious and cunning as
some of her critics would have us believe?

Her biography describers her as a medieval countess who seems to have
led a relatively "normal" life although a hard, cruel destiny awaited
her. At the early age of twelve and as sole heiress to the kingdom of
Tyrol with its many enviable possessions, she found herself married
to a Bavarian crown prince in order to safeguard the future of a
prestigious dynasty. After years of unhappy married life, she
separated from her first husband and, a mere couple of months later,
married Ludwig, the emperor's son. Her unconventional, contradictory
behaviour led to an international scandal. The church in Rome refused
to recognize the legitimacy of this second marriage and Margaret was
summarily excommunicated, something which brought great suffering to
the whole region of Tyrol for the following seventeen years.

She was eventually forced to accept that the church had political
reasons for outlawing her and her subjects but refused to let this
influence her beliefs or way of life to any great extent. She did,
however, have an extremely hard, unhappy life. Her children all died
at an early age and her beloved Tyrol was afflicted by various dire
catastrophes including the Black Death, a number of earthquakes and a
plague of grasshoppers to name but a few. Her second husband and
their son and heir, Meinhard, also both died unexpectedly and she
felt obliged to hand her estate and possessions over to her closest
relations, the great and powerful Hapsburg dynasty, a decision which
would of course change the course of the future development of Tyrol.

Contemporary art also represents her in two completely different
ways. Her personal seal shows a slim, genteel, distinguished,
pleasant-looking female figure in flagrant contrast to the caricature
of an ugly, elderly woman by Leonardo da Vinci which, since the
eighteenth century, has been believed to be a portrait of Margaret
and which, somewhat unfortunately, a photographer         from Meran
chose as the subject for a postcard in the early years of the
twentieth century.

While inspired by Margaret's life, Janet Musil's play takes some
artistic license, illustrating that many elements of Margaret – the
woman – are lost to history. Munsil adds, "Nobody knows how ugly she
really was."

ALSO OF NOTE: An exhibition on Margarete Von Tirol, the last Countess
of Tyrol, is being presented currently at Castle Tyrol, the castle
where she lived in what is now Northern Italy near the Austrian
border. A special thank you to the Castle Tyrol for this research and
text.  (Image Above: The first image of duchess Margaretha
"Maultasch" 15th century, Castle of Ambras, Innsbruck)

Upcoming Events: Plays, Lectures and more

The Ugly Duchess: October 11 - 20, 2007
October 4: Box Office Opens
October 12 at 7:00pm: FREE Pre-Show Lecture
Please join Dr. Erin Campbell, Assistant Professor in the History in
Art Department speaking on The Ugly Woman in the Renaissance
Imagination. Her  teaching focuses on the visual culture of Europe
from 1500-1800 and her research interests include cultural
representations of old age, aging and creativity. This lecture is
FREE of charge and open to everyone.

Wind in the Willows: November 8 - 24, 2007
October 12 at 12:30pm: Orion Lecture The Scenic Artist in Theatre
Today with Jennifer Hedge, Head Scenic Artist for Theatre Arts at The
Banff Centre. Hedge is also painting the sets for Wind in the
Willows. This lecture is FREE of charge and open to everyone.

November 1: Box Office Opens
November 13 at 8:00pm: Special performance with Sign Language
Interpretation, made possible by the UVic Equity and Human Rights
Office.

Lionel: February 14 – 23, 2008

The Incredible Case of Señor Morton: March 13 – 22, 2008

Phoenix Phacts: News on Alumni, Faculty, Staff and Students

Jay Bennett won an Emmy for Outstanding Creative Achievement in
Interactive Television for his work as associate producer for the
Fallen Alternate Reality Game – a video game tie-in for the ABC
Family television movie series Fallen…

Current students Tim Johnston, who will play Aladdin, and Kaitlin
Williams go on a magic carpet ride with Kaleidoscope Theatre’s
Aladdin upcoming this December...

Our most recent graduating class has had considerable success since
graduating in April.  Danielle Janess, who appeared as Queen
Elizabeth in last year’s Richard III, played Queen Victoria at the BC
Parliament Buildings this summer.  James Kot is going to war on the
set of Paul Gross’ Passchendaele, which is being filmed in Calgary
this October.  A big time Soprano’s fan, he also just finished
filming the TV movie Snow Globe, starring The Soprano’s Lorraine
Bracco and Christina Milian.  Featured on the front of this season’s
brochure, Victor Dolhai recently worked with Kokoro Dance Theatre in
their 12th Wreck Beach Butoh and with SNAFU Dance’s BLiNK – winner of
the Best Physical Theatre/Dance at this year’s Victoria Fringe
Festival.  Also enjoying Fringe Festival success, Laura Harris was
nominated for Best Female Performer for her performance in her self-
written one-woman show, Pitch Blond.  Theatre Calgary is keeping
Kassia Warshawski busy, appearing as Hero in their Fuse Festival
production of Much Ado About Nothing and playing Emily in their
upcoming production of Our Town…

Theatre SKAM recently staged the Canadian premiere of Melissa James
Gibson’s play [sic].  Alumnus Amiel Gladstone directed and Lucas
Meyer and Michael Rinaldi performed...

Phoenix alumni are making an impact creatively at The Belfry this
season with over a dozen showcasing their talents.  Phoenix
connections include Patrick Du Wors, Medina Hahn, Ereca Hassell,
Rebekah Johnson, John Krich, Karen Levis, Brian Linds, Joan MacLeod,
Erin Macklem, Jacob Richmond, Britt Small, Graeme Somerville, Celine
Stubel, Sara Topham and more…

Check out past Phoenix Phacts on our website.

Email Perks:

Receiving this email comes with perks! The following Phoenix
supporters are offering you a deal, just because you're also a
supporter of the Phoenix…aren't we all lucky!

Free Financial Workshops For Women
Join Pam Katunar, a Financial Advisor with Edward Jones for a
complimentary 3-week course for women to assist them in setting
financial and investment goals. pam.katunar at edwardjones.com | 595-6888

Phoenix Subscription Packages are still on sale! 3 or 4 shows for $30
and $40. To order season tickets, call (250) 721-8000 or fill in the
order form and fax to (250) 721-6596.

Sponsor Kudos:

The Phoenix Theatre would like to thank our community sponsors for
their support of our programmes.

2007/08 Season Community Partner:
Cadboro Bay Village Merchants
Blaney's Travel, Cadboro Bay Book Company Cadboro Bay Village
Service, Edward Jones, For Good Measure,         People's Pharmacy,
Pepper's Foods, Smugglers Cove

2007/08 Season Ticket Sponsor: Monk Office Supplies

Phoenix eNews is a regular email magazine for those interested in the
Phoenix Theatre, the not-for-profit productions at the University of
Victoria's Department of Theatre. Do you know someone who would love
to know more about us? Please feel free to forward this message to a
friend!

Comments
Un-Subscribe

  	 © University of Victoria 2007