[MARMAM] BCSS humpback whales research internship

Ekaterina Kalashnikova nyangumiznz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 08:03:31 PST 2024

Scientific Training Opportunity with the Marine Research Station in
Mozambique.

Over the course of five years, the BCSS marine research station had a
monitoring effort of 3860 hours in the open sea of the Mozambique Channel.
Its growing database now boasts records of at least nine cetacean species,
documented through over 1000 sightings, totaling over 6000 animals
encountered. Notably, more than 1000 of these individuals are migrating
humpback whales.

For those who share our passion for whales and dolphins, we invite you to
join our scientific training programs during the 2024 humpback whales
migration season (June-October). Please note that space is limited due to
the size of our research station, so securing your spot early guarantees
participation during migration peaks and under the best conditions.

During your stay at BCSS you will learn about photo ID and behaviour data
collection by our scientists, contributing to the expanding knowledge of
one of the most awe-inspiring blue migrations.

BCSS can accommodate up to 12 visitors at a time offering a serviced
dormitory, a tented camp with single and double (bunks) rooms, shared
bathroom facilities, a conference room, an equipped laboratory, a kitchen
with an in-house chef, communal areas equipped with sofas, TV and limited
Wi-Fi, an activities center, and a workshop. Visitors can enjoy several
leisure areas beyond the common room. The dive center has a beach-front
braai area with an amazing view over the park and flamingo bay, a great
spot to enjoy a drink and snack, relax and talk about your favourite
stories of the day.

BCSS Scientific Training Programs have a contribution requirement that
directly supports BCSS long-term monitoring efforts in Mozambique and
covers all the costs of the participant’s placement. Contribution fees
depend on the duration of the placement and are as follow:

·         EXPERIENCE & ASSIST 2 WEEKS – $1900

·         ENGAGE & HELP 4 WEEKS – $3450

·         EMERGE & CONTRIBUTE 6 WEEKS – $4730

·         STUDY & PROTECT 8 WEEKS – US$5900

·         ADVANCE & LEAD 12 WEEKS – $6800

Learn more about the programs we offer, and how to gain valuable core
skills that can enhance your life experience, and potential career
prospects https://bcssmz.org/scientific-training-program/

Contact:

*Ekaterina Kalashnikova*
Bazaruto Center for Scientific Studies