[MARMAM] New Publication: Threats on Marine Mammals: an Anthropological Perspective

arion at arion.org.gr arion at arion.org.gr
Wed Feb 28 10:09:10 PST 2024

Dear all,
we are pleased sharing with you our new publication about the "Threats
on Marine Mammals: an Anthropological Perspective" that is published in
the Global Journal of Archaeology and Anthropology, by Stergios
Pardalis, Athanasios Exadactylos, Anastasia Komnenou, Aimilia Drougas,
Elena Akritopoulou, Joanne Sarantopoulou and Georgios A Gkafas*
(https://doi.org/10.19080/GJAA.2024.13.555869).
Published: February 20, 2024

*Corresponding author: Georgios A Gkafas, Department of Ichthyology and
Aquatic Environment, School of Agricultural Sciences, University of
Thessaly, 38446 Volos, Greece

Abstract
Many species of marine mammals are threatened and their populations
decline worldwide due to the increase of anthropogenic activities such
as fishing, shipping, pollution and climate change. Our understanding of
marine mammal behavior/ecology remains poor and under-documented since
studies of the species are extremely challenging in practice and theory.
Applied anthropology can help provide effective strategies based on
cultural compatibility. Marine biology has already validated that
biodiversity is beneficial to the ecosystem and so should anthropology
promote the significance of mutualism in society.

Download open access text:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/378499534_Threats_on_Marine_Mammals_an_Anthropological_Perspective".

Best regards,

Dr. Aimilia Drougas
ARION-Cetacean Rescue and Rehabilitation Research Center
110 Markou Mpotsari Street, 54653 Thessaloniki, Greece
Email: arion at arion.org.gr; adrougas at gmail.com