[MARMAM] Summer Research and Outreach Internship- Isle of Man

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch info at mwdw.net
Fri Feb 16 07:03:50 PST 2024

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch (MWDW) is recruiting 2 full-time volunteer
Research and Outreach Assistants for the 2024 season. This internship is
based on the Isle of Man (British Isles).

The placement runs for ~5 months from 6th May to mid or end of September
and we are looking for candidates who are available for the entire
duration.

This is a unique opportunity to join our small but active team, becoming
involved in all areas of research and outreach work.

   - Managing our Visitor centre and talking to tourists.

   - Daily admin work; maintaining our busy public sightings network by
   logging sighting reports and responding to social media messages and emails.
   - Entering and analysing data collected on land and boat-based surveys.
   Opportunity to learn QGIS software.
   - Updating our photo-identification catalogues, primarily Risso's
   dolphin. Reaching out to cetacean groups across the UK to collect images
   from other regions

   - Conducting land-based surveys from dedicated coastal sites.
   - Boat-based surveys as and when the weather and other factors permit.
   - Opportunities to guide on local tourist boats. (Assistants must be
   aware that all boat surveys are extremely weather dependent and can be
   infrequent. We will not guarantee you a certain number of boat-surveys
   during your stay.)
   - Public outreach and education. Regular public sea watch events,
   information stalls and workshops, activities for children at our Visitor
   Centre, assisting with school visits and other events.

Work pattern

We do not have a typical working pattern, but you will be expected to work
5 days a week including most weekends. Survey work can only take place in
calm weather, so flexibility is key, and fieldwork must take priority where
possible. There may be long consecutive days when we are working out in the
field with early starts or late finishes. Likewise, there will be days or
weeks that we are office based. The season is extremely busy, but if you
love what you do, the work is very rewarding.

Who are we looking for?

We are seeking 2 assistants who are looking to gain hands-on experience
with a small but busy cetacean research group.

Experience is not essential, but you should be able to demonstrate a strong
desire to pursue a career in marine mammal science or environmental
education.

As this role combines elements of research and outreach, you must be happy
working in both of these areas. If you are looking for a solely research
based project, this may not be for you.

You must have a strong work ethic and be able to think proactively,
learning from the role and using your own initiative to develop new
projects over the course of the summer. You will be happy working within a
small, closely knit team. This is a busy placement and we need assistants
who are passionate about the work and willing to get stuck into all of the
tasks. This internship can provide you with a wide variety of transferable
skills.

Location

The Isle of Man is located in the middle of the Irish Sea between England
and Ireland.

This is a residential placement and accommodation is £125 a week. You will
have your own room in a large, shared town house in the centre of Peel.
Local pub work in the evenings is easy to come by and has been a popular
option for previous volunteers to help with living costs.

For more information about our work, visit www.mwdw.net
<http://www.mwdw.net>

To apply, please email Jen Adams on info at mwdw.net with a copy of your CV
and a covering letter explaining why you want this role. Deadline for
applications is Friday 8th March at 11pm.

--

*Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch* Charity number 1188

*phone:* +441624 610 131
*address:* 31 Michael Street, Peel, IM5 1HD
*web:* mwdw.net <http://www.mwdw.net/>
*email:* info at mwdw.net