[MARMAM] New publication: a new control rule for managing PETS by-catch

Matthieu Authier matthieu.authier at univ-lr.fr
Mon Feb 12 10:43:29 PST 2024

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication in
the open access journal PeerJ , Vol. 12, No. e16688:

Ouzoulias, F. / Bousquet, N. / Genu, M. / Gilles, A. / Spitz, S. /
Authier, M.

Development of a New Control Rule for Managing Anthropogenic Removals of
Protected, Endangered or Threatened Species in Marine Ecosystems
<https://peerj.com/articles/16688/>

In this publication, we developed and encoded in our R package RLA
<https://gitlab.univ-lr.fr/pelaverse/rla> a new control rule for setting
limit reference points (or removals limits) to the anthropogenic
removals of protected, endangered or threatened species. We carried
population dynamics simulations in a Management Strategy Evaluation
framework to test and benchmark several control rules: PBR, RLA and a
new rule control we called ART for 'Anthropogenic Removals Threshold'.
These simulations were calibrated on life history parameters of the
Harbour Porpoise (/Phocoena phocoena/) in the North Sea. Taking into
account uncertainty in key parameters such as Maximum Net Productivity
Level and biases in estimates (e.g.  by-catch estimates), we
investigated the performance of the different control rules to reach a
given conservation objective (eg restoring or maintaining depletion
levels above X% of carrying capacity over Z years with probability P).
Our simulations confirmed the remarkable effectiveness of PBR. On the
other hand, ART was the only rule that allowed for a decreasing trend in
the reference point/removals limit over time, thereby displaying greater
alignment with current policy aspirations in the European Union such as
minimzing, and where possible eliminating, by-catch of protected,
endangered or threatened species.

If you have any questions about our work, please reach out.

Cheers,

Matthieu Authier

--
Matthieu Authier - Ingénieur de Recherche
La Rochelle Université