[MARMAM] Whale Tales 2024 - A free livestream whale education event to support Lahaina, Maui!

Emma Hearne ehearne at whaletrust.org
Wed Feb 7 12:46:07 PST 2024

Aloha!

I've been passed along your information through my colleague, Josie
Byington, and wanted to reach out regarding an upcoming in-person and
virtual event that may be of interest to you and your network.

Presented by Whale Trust, a Maui-based whale research non-profit, Whale
Tales is an annual fundraising and community outreach event that brings
together leading scientists, photographers, filmmakers, and
conservationists to share the latest advancements in whale research and
conservation. In its nearly two-decade history, Whale Tales has become a
prestigious marine science gathering, uniting researchers and ocean
enthusiasts worldwide.

This multi-day event consists of expert presentations from leading
scientists and visual storytellers, a Mauka to Makai Science Center
featuring hands-on learning activities from local conservation
organizations, a Community Art Expo showcasing the work of talented Maui
artists and businesses, and Benefit Whale Watches hosted by presenters.

In the aftermath of the Maui wildfires, the decision to proceed with Whale
Tales was carefully considered, acknowledging the challenges faced by our
community. However, recognizing the event’s significance in supporting
marine research and fostering community, Whale Trust, with the
encouragement of The Ritz-Carlton Maui, Kapalua and our community partners,
has decided to move forward to celebrate the ocean giants that surround our
island home.

By broadcasting Whale Tales 2024 via live stream, our objective is to make
advanced whale research and conservation insights accessible to a wider
audience, in line with our commitment to advancing ocean education. This
live-streaming option is designed to provide a fair opportunity for a
global audience to actively participate in the conversations centered
around our ocean planet.

Funds raised through Whale Tales 2024 will not only contribute to whale
research but also support restoration efforts in Lahaina and its
surrounding natural environment. To register and learn more about our
presenters, visit www.WhaleTales.org <http://www.whaletales.org/>.

I've also attached a poster below for your reference if you would like to
circulate it! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Warmly,
Emma
--

Emma Hearne