[MARMAM] The Arctic and the future Arctic? NEW PUBLICATION

Samuel Martínez Llobet samuel.7.arg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 03:55:15 PDT 2023

On behalf of my coauthors, I am glad to announce the new publication:

Llobet SM, Ahonen HA, Lydersen C, Kovacs KM.
The Arctic and the future Arctic? Soundscapes and marine mammal communities
on the east and west sides of Svalbard characterized through acoustic data.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2023.1208049/full

The highlights of the study:
-A high number of species were acoustically detected, 11 in total.
-More variety of seasonal species were detected on the west coast, Arctic
endemic marine mammals dominated the east coast.
-Biophonies were an important source of sound energy in the east.
-Moderate boat traffic was found on the west coast, peaking in summer.
Little traffic was found on the east coast.
-New potential breeding ground for Spitsbergen bowhead whales identified.
Bowhead whales and narwhals were found vocalizing for months on the east
coast during winter and spring.

Samuel Martínez Llobet
Research Department, Norwegian Polar Institute
--
Samuel Martínez Llobet