[MARMAM] New publication: Song Notes and Patterns of the Mediterranean Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus) in the Ionian Sea

Virginia Sciacca virginia.sciacca at cnr.it
Mon Oct 30 01:56:54 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce our recent
publication in /Journal of Marine Science and Engineering/:

Sciacca V, Morello G, Beranzoli L, Embriaco D, Filiciotto F, Marinaro G,
Riccobene GM, Simeone F, Viola S. Song Notes and Patterns of the
Mediterranean Fin Whale (/Balaenoptera physalus/) in the Ionian Sea.
/Journal of Marine Science and Engineering/. 2023; 11(11):2057.
https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse11112057 <https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse11112057>

Abstract:

The Mediterranean fin whale emits two types of 20-Hz calls, known as
“classic” and “backbeat”, that can be produced in irregular series or in
patterned sequences called songs. The analysis of songs is recognized as
a meaningful approach to study baleen whales and can be used to
investigate populations’ identities. Mediterranean fin whale songs have
been studied previously, but only in the western Mediterranean Sea. This
work describes the structure of the songs recorded in the Ionian Sea.
The inter-note intervals and the alternation of 20-Hz note types were
considered to assess the occurrence of recurring patterns. Differences
between patterned songs and irregular sequences were also investigated.
Acoustic data were sampled continuously for about 10 months by the
cabled observatory NEMO-SN1, deployed at 2100 m depth, 25 km offshore
Catania; 28 call sequences were isolated and 10 of these were classified
as either patterned songs or irregular sequences. Significant
differences were observed in the spectral features of classic notes
between songs and irregulars; four-note patterns were found repeatedly
over different months, indicating a regular structure in detected songs.
This work establishes a reference to interpret Mediterranean fin whale
songs, and to assess the acoustic behavior of the population.

Best regards,

Virginia Sciacca

--
Virginia Sciacca, PhD
Researcher - Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche