[MARMAM] MARMAM: New publication on the tidal lung volume of gray whales

Albertson, R renee.albertson at oregonstate.edu
Sat Oct 28 14:49:58 PDT 2023

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to announce the recent publication:

Sumich JL, Albertson GR, Torres LG, Bird CN, Bierlich KC, Harris C. Using audio and UAS-based video for estimating tidal lung volumes of resting and active adult gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus) Mar Mam Sci. Notes 2023; 1-8.

https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13081

Highlights include:

  1.  A novel approach to estimate tidal lung volume of actively foraging adult gray whales.
  2.  Tidal lung volume (relative to body mass) estimates for foraging whales are somewhat higher than those found earlier for gray whale calves.
  3.  Foraging gray whales express tidal lung volume values 35-40% higher than resting lagoon female gray whales.

PDFs are available upon request to james.sumich at oregonstate.edu<mailto:james.sumich at oregonstate.edu>
G. Renee Albertson, Ph.D.
Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Sciences
Marine Mammal Institute – Hatfield Marine Science Center
Newport, Oregon