[MARMAM] Call for Papers: Special Research topic in Frontiers in Conservation Science: Rebounding Marine Mammal Species and Conservation Recovery Challenges

andrea bogomolni abogomolni at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:15:04 PDT 2023

Dear Marmam Community,

We are excited for this special research topic in Frontiers in Conservation
Science; Human-Wildlife Interactions on "*Rebounding Marine Mammal Species
and Conservation Recovery Challenges*."  Topic Editors are Andrea
Bogomolni,Kristina
Cammen andJennifer Jackman.

For More information go to:

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/58906/rebounding-marine-mammal-species-and-conservation-recovery-challenges#overview

------

Marine mammals have been valued for millennia for their cultural
significance and more often, their exploitative resource value. Many large
whale species remain imperilled or are only recently returning from the
brink of extinction. In contrast, recent conservation measures have allowed
for the successful rebound and recovery of many cetaceans and pinniped
species, some to the point of perceived “overabundance”, whether referring
to 1,200 Hawaiian monk seals or 7 million harp seals. In addition to their
continued intrinsic value alive and thriving, today we also appreciate the
value of marine mammal species to ecosystem health. Yet, as we grapple with
a lack of historical baselines, and uncertain ecological and social
carrying capacities, several conflicts are emerging at the growing
interface between humans and marine mammals. These conflicts include ship
strikes, depredation, bycatch, impacts of ecotourism, competition for
resources, changing cultural values and political challenges to marine
mammal conservation. Despite the emergence of theory and application of
human dimensions of wildlife in the terrestrial realm, the rebound of
marine mammals and how we address these conflicts in the coastal and ocean
environment are often overlooked when discussing human-wildlife conflict
issues and solutions. This Research Topic aims to increase awareness of
these issues to advance the discussion on how we can address these
challenges in ocean systems.

 How do we address these emerging, complex socio-ecological problems
related to marine mammals? Who defines the problems, and how are the
problems defined? How do we consider often-opposing values and interests in
the development of solutions, and how do we engage diverse stakeholders in
decision-making processes that shape how we will manage and coexist with
marine mammal populations for generations to come? How can different
disciplines help build the knowledge foundation and strategies necessary to
address these challenges?

This Research Topic welcomes case studies, original research, methods,
perspectives, reviews, and policy briefs, on themes such as:

• Case studies of rebounding marine mammals from around the world.

• Examples of community outreach, education, and engagement related to
rebounding populations.

• Human dimensions of wildlife research studies, which specifically address
the ocean system or the lack of human dimensions research on marine species
and their interactions with humans.

• Ecological studies, which quantify the impact of growing marine mammal
populations or estimate ecological carrying capacity.

• Sociological studies, which consider differing stakeholder values, the
social carrying capacity of marine mammals, and how increasing human
populations are a factor in these conflicts.

• Marine policy, politics, and economic analyses, such as evaluation of how
resources are distributed for marine mammal management.

• Studies of the impacts of current politics, policy and management on
marine mammals.

• Environmental ethics studies, for example, of moral obligations to
exploited populations of marine mammals.
**Manuscript Summary Submission Deadline 31 October 2023
**Manuscript Submission Deadline 29 February 2024

[image: Frontiers_rebounding Marine mammal challenges.png]