[MARMAM] Call for Abstracts: Special Session on Marine Mammal Ecotoxicology at SETAC Europe (May 2024, Spain)

Anaïs Remili anaremili at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 10:38:38 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well. I am delighted to invite you to submit
abstracts for a special session exclusively dedicated to marine mammal
ecotoxicology that will be part of the upcoming SETAC Europe 34th Annual
Meeting, taking place in the beautiful city of Sevilla, Spain, from May 5th
to May 9th, 2024. Abstract deadline: November 29th, 2023.

The session will be co-chaired by myself, Anais Remili (PhD, McGill
University), along with my esteemed colleagues, Antoine Simond (PhD, Simon
Fraser University), Rune Dietz (PhD, Aarhus University), and Krishna Das
(PhD, Université de Liège).

Session Title: Assessing and Predicting the Impact of Chemical Pollution on
Marine Mammals: Challenges to Be Overcome, Future Prospects, and
Conservation Strategies.

The rationale for this platform session is driven by the urgent need to
expand our knowledge, understanding, and mitigation strategies related to
the impact of chemical pollutants on marine mammal populations and their
ecosystem. We aim to bring together experts, researchers, and professionals
in the field of marine mammal conservation and ecotoxicology to share their
latest findings, innovations, and insights so we can strengthen our
understanding of chemical pollution on marine mammal health and work
towards a sustainable future for both marine mammal species and their
fragile habitats. Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- The impact of long-term exposure of contaminants on global marine mammal
health (immune, endocrine, and central nervous systems);
- The impacts of pollution and anthropogenic pressure on marine mammal
ecosystems;
- The use of cutting-edge research/methodologies contributing to the
discovery of new chemicals and a more holistic understanding of the impact
of pollutants on the health of marine mammals (e.g., multi-omics
approaches, non-targeted analyses, non-invasive sampling approaches, in
vitro bioassays); Innovative conservation strategies that aim at protecting
marine mammals and their habitat from chemical pollution and better
implementing effective policy frameworks.

Conference Details:
Event: SETAC Europe 34th Annual Meeting
<https://www.setac.org/discover-events/global-meetings/setac-europe-34th-annual-meeting.html>
Dates: 5 - 9 May 2024
Location: Sevilla, Spain

Track: 2. Ecotoxicology Becomes Stress Ecology: From Populations to
Ecosystems and Landscapes

Submission Guidelines:
Abstracts should be submitted by November 29th, 2023.

Link to start a submission:
https://setac.confex.com/setac/europe2024/conversation/cfp.cgi

SETAC Europe is usually attended by a minimum of two thousand researchers
from all around the world. It represents a unique opportunity to network
with fellow marine mammal experts and researchers from around the world.

If you have any inquiries or require additional information, please feel
free to contact me or one of the session co-chairs:
Anais Remili: anais.remili at mail.mcgill.ca
Antoine Simond: asimond at sfu.ca
Rune Dietz: rdi at ecos.au.dk
Krishna Das: krishna.das at uliege.be

We look forward to your participation and the opportunity to present your
research at this session. We are excited about the prospect of your
participation and the opportunity to collaborate on these important topics.

Thank you for your attention, and we hope to see you all in Sevilla in 2024.

Cheers,
Anais Remili, PhD <https://anaisremili.com/>
Postdoctoral researcher at McGill University
Editor-in-chief of Whale Scientists