[MARMAM] New publication: porpoise responses to a seal scarer in the wild

Siri Elmegaard sirielme at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:13:17 PDT 2023

Dear MARMAM colleagues

I am happy to share our new paper about harbour porpoise responses to a
seal scarer (acoustic harassment device) in the wild:

Elmegaard, SL, Teilmann, J, Rojano-Doñate, L, Brennecke, D, Mikkelsen, L,
Balle, JD, Gosewinkel, U, Kyhn, LA, Tønnesen, P, Wahlberg, M, Ruser, A,
Siebert, U, Madsen, PT (2023) Wild harbour porpoises startle and flee at
low received levels from acoustic harassment device. Scientific Reports,
13:16691. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-43453-8

In this paper we present the responses of six tagged porpoises exposed to a
seal scarer (acoustic harassment device) in the wild. The porpoises respond
to the exposure from up to 7 km away by startling, fleeing, altering
echolocation behaviour as well as tachycardia. We conclude that in order to
minimize habitat degradation and disproportionate adverse effects on
porpoises, the source level of seal scarers should be reduced when used for
mitigating offshore construction noise effects on porpoise hearing.

You can find the open access paper here:

You are more than welcome to contact me with any questions.

Best wishes

Siri Elmegaard, ph.d.
sirielme at gmail.com