[MARMAM] New publication: Inter-site variability in the Cape fur seal's behavioural response to boat noise exposure

Mathilde Martin mathilde.martin at universite-paris-saclay.fr
Sun Oct 1 23:42:54 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues, On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our
article recently published in Marine Pollution Bulletin: *Inter-site
variability in the Cape fur seal's behavioural response to boat noise
exposure* Mathilde Martin, Tess Gridley, Simon Elwen, Isabelle Charrier
Abstract: The impact of man-made noise on wildlife is recognised as a
major global concern affecting many taxa in both terrestrial and aquatic
ecosystems, with the degree of impact varying among individuals or
species. Understanding the factors inducing intra-species differences in
response to noise is essential for the development of adapted and
effective mitigation measures. This study compares the behavioural
response of Cape fur seals to boat noise exposures at two study sites
showing differences in their level of exposure to anthropogenic
activities, and individual composition. Increased vigilance was found
for Lambert's Bay seals exposed to high noise level (70–80 dB) compared
to those tested at Cape Town harbour. Comparisons with a similar study
performed in Namibia were made. Intrinsic factors such as individuals'
age-class, sex or arousal state as well as extrinsic factors such as the
ambient noise and the nature/extent of human-seal interactions were
suggested to induce such variation.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2023.115589  <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2023.115589>Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need the pdf version or if
you have any questions, Best regards,

--
*Mathilde MARTIN, PhD*
Acoustic Communications Team, Department Cognition & Network Neuroscience

Tel: +33 (0)1 69 82 63 56
Email: mathilde.martin at universite-paris-saclay.fr
Website: https://mathildemartin-research.com/