[MARMAM] _Fin Whale Project Internship positions and Spring/Summer Research Assistant course openings Barcelona 2024_

Eduard Degollada edmaktub at edmaktub.org
Tue Nov 14 11:30:15 PST 2023

*

*_Fin Whale Project Internship positions and Spring/Summer Research
Assistant course openings Barcelona 2024_*

*
*

Dear colleagues,

Research association Edmaktub is accepting applications for research
interns willing to participate in the Fin Whale Project 2024. The
partcipants can join as a research intern with a minimum stay of 3
months or in our Research Assistant Course with a duration of 1 to 4
weeks (see details below).

The internships will run from February to September 2024, majorly on the
research catamaran, and requires preparation time. We are especially
interested in master students looking to undertake a master’s research
project. Priority will be given to those interns committed for at least
the Spring three months (March to end of May).

The Fin Whale Project is a long-term research project carried out by the
EDMAKTUB Association, a research non-profit organization. It is focused
on the study of fin whales in the Catalan coast and on their migration
towards the Atlantic. The main goals of the project are to increase the
knowledge of the fin whales around the Spanish peninsula, work with new
technologies (such as drones and/or thermal cameras and artificial
intelligence) to improve the cetacean monitoring techniques, and also
work for fin whale conservation and divulgation. Performing those
objectives the Fin Whale Project turned out as a pioneer project in the
use of drones to study cetaceans, which has allowed us to develop a new
identification technique much more efficient and reliable. It has also
been the key to identify this and other areas as a fin whale feeding ground.

The field work will be performed in the Catalan coast, primarily between
Barcelona and Tarragona, northeastern Spain in Spring. Then, it will
continue in Denia, eastern Spain in June, Strait of Gibraltar in July
and Galicia NW Spain in August and September.

During the surveys, EDMAKTUB also collects information on other
cetaceans, sea birds, fish, and sea turtles.

*_RESEARCH INTERNS_*

For the 2024 Fin Whale Project, we are looking for research interns to
complete the team. The positions are unpaid and a minimum of three
months is required in order to be considered. Interns must cover their
accommodation and living expenses. EDMAKTUB offers an apartment in which
a room can be rented (low rate). The positions will be assigned as soon
as possible. Priority will be given to those having photo ID experience
and a long period availability.

Qualifications

- Must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited
college or university; preference will be given to students working
towards biology, environmental studies, marine science, veterinary
medicine, education, mathematics, artificial intelligence, or other
related fields. If you do not fit this profile but think you can
contribute anyway, please contact us.

- Must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.

- Must be dedicated, flexible, responsible, hardworking, willing to
learn, and have attention to detail. Interest or experience in the
Spanish and Catalan languages are preferred.

- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.

- Must be willing to engage in a positive and informative manner with
the general public regularly.

-Must expect to work on a full-time basis, which can include early
morning and late nights.

-Must be living close by the Garraf area or willing to relocate to
Villanova I la Geltrú.

What is expected from you?

-Preparation of your research line to start research while starting the
Fin Whale Project fieldwork.

-Daily participation in the 2024 marine surveys of the Fin Whale Project

-Responsibility for the tasks associated with your research line as well
as willingness to assist in tasks related to other lines of research.

-Involvement in several tasks that are part of running an association
(general data entry, fundraising, marketing/social media, communication,
educational events and talks)

-At the end of the internship, the intern will deliver a written report
regarding the work carried out and a presentation about their experience
and projects to staff and volunteers.

What do you get?

-Knowledge on different cetacean research techniques and methodology.

-The possibility to establish your research in the form of master’s
research project and/or an article for publication.

-To go sailing out to sea together with a team of motivated people,
studying one of the most majestical animals that exist.

-Guidance through your project and feedback on your research

-A platform in which to gain experience in the field study of cetaceans
and an entry to the broad scientific and professional network of Edmaktub.

We currently have several research interests and priorities. One of our
main priorities is people committed to photo-identification; taking and
processing the images and updating the catalogue. Besides conventional
photo-identification the researchers will also participate in the drone
photo-identification catalogue, which already have more than 400
individuals. Moreover, we are also focused on oceanography (related to
fin whale distribution and possible implications of climate change),
behavior (descriptive, social, feeding, travelling, reactions, …),
marine traffic (what is the situation and how to minimize the risk),
marine pollution (specially focused on macro and microplastics),
plankton (using the echosounder, determining the different species
presence and distribution) and animal health (using camera and drone
footage to asses animal health and study morphometrics). We would also
love projects in collaboration with the local fishermen, or drone images
related studies. Everything is open for discussion. In addition to
research projects, we are looking for interns that can help us with
social media, marketing, grant writing and website building.

To get more information regarding the fin whale project and the
publications that has been made please visit our website
www.edmaktub.org/en/fin-whale-project/and visit our youtube channel
EDMAKTUB (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGUtaoi-cOqNtRU7qRRdlg
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGUtaoi-cOqNtRU7qRRdlg>). You can
also keep updated by following us on social media, we are on Instagram
and Facebook as Edmaktub.

Please be conscious that daily ocean surveys can be physically
challenging and require a strong will and motivation. We value strong
collaborative skills, a positive attitude, and a willingness to help
others to learn. We appreciate our interns and take good care of each
other. Do you think you are a good fit for the team? We would love to
hear from you and get in touch as soon as possible.

How to apply? Send your resume and a cover letter including your
research interests regarding this project to info at edmaktub.org
<mailto:info at edmaktub.org>. Mention ‘FWP24’ in the email subject.

*TRAINING PROGRAM: RESEARCH ASSISTANTS –Graduates, students or people
wishing to acquire practical experience in the field study of cetaceans
and oceanographic research.*

Number of positions available: 20 | Participating period: between 1 to 4
weeks to choose from March to September.

https://edmaktub.org/en/participate/ <https://edmaktub.org/en/participate/>

*What do you get?*

• The chance to participate in all the activities developed by the Fin
Whale Project during your stay of the program, especially in daily whale
monitoring and observation.

• Training and practical experience in the field of cetacean study. With
both theoretical and practical lessons in the different research fields
performed by our researchers.

• Share knowledge and experience with the research members of the Fin
Whale Project, a multicultural team with different researchers coming
from different disciplines and backgrounds.

• The opportunity of spending quality time at sea observing cetaceans in
the rich environment of the coast of Barcelona (Garraf Coast).

*Contents*

-Distribution and Behavior

-Photo-identification

-Drones and their application to cetacean research

-Fishermen/Citizen science

-Oceanography

-Plankton and Microplastics

-Collisions

-Biological samples and acoustics

-Thermal imaging

- Statistics and data analysis

- How to plan and prepare a research project

If you would like to know more information the course don’t hesitate to
contact us through email (info at edmaktub.org <mailto:info at edmaktub.org>)
or send us a WhatsApp (+34 655879180).

*What do we ask in return?*

• To collaborate financially to the project with a donation that ranges
between 900 to 1500 euros depending on the number of weeks of the
course. This contribution covers accommodation and meals as well as the
material needed for the course and the surveys.

*How to apply?*

Fill out the form you will find in our website:

https://edmaktub.org/en/participate/ <https://edmaktub.org/en/participate/>

or contact through info at edmaktub.org <mailto:info at edmaktub.org>

Kind regards,

Edmaktub team