[MARMAM] New publication on response of cetaceans to changes in prey availability and environmental conditions

Andrea Fariñas Bermejo afarinas at iim.csic.es
Fri Jun 16 08:07:59 PDT 2023

Dear Marine Mammal community,
We are pleased to share with you this publication on the "Response of
cetaceans to fluctuations of pelagic fish stocks and environmental
conditions within the Celtic Sea ecosystem": https://t.co/oxpPUKnYC8

The Celtic Sea herring stock has declined drastically since 2013 and has
not yet recovered. This situation has led to concerns about the possible
implications on herring predators, such as cetaceans. In this study we
investigate the spatio-temporal patterns of the ecosystem conditions and
the relative abundance and distribution of cetaceans and prey species.
We also modelled the response of cetaceans (common dolphins, fin, minke,
humpback and unidentified whale species) to fluctuations of prey
(herring and sprat) and environmental conditions (SST, CHL, PAR, ZEU and
their variation).

If the topic has caught your attention, check out the article for more
information! And last but not least, please feel free to contact me if
your interest goes beyond the paper. Any comments you would like to
share with me are more than welcome!

Best wishes,

Andrea Fariñas-Bermejo

PhD student
Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas (IIM-CSIC)
Vigo, Spain

Contact: afarinas at iim.csic.es
Twitter: @_andrea_fb
https://twitter.com/_andrea_fb/status/1668882103390330880?t=14CHOzAVrxCFqMy_MApxWg&s=03