[MARMAM] New publication on Eastern Pacific humpback whale breeding areas and ENSO

Judith Denkinger jdenkinger at usfq.edu.ec
Fri Jun 9 01:24:18 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new publication on Humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) winter distribution and core habitats in relation to El Ninõ Southern Oscillation and depth in coastal and oceanic waters off Ecuador.

Denkinger, J., ,Eguiguren, A.,Rubianes, F.,Munõz-Abril, L., & Onã, J. (2023). Humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) winter distribution and core habitats in relation to El Ninõ Southern Oscillation and depth in coastal and oceanic waters off Ecuador. Mar Mam Sci,1–17  https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13015

Abstract
Southern Pacific humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) breed in subtropical and tropical waters off Peru in the south to Nicaragua in the north. The effect of warming oceans on humpback whale distribution in breeding areas remains unclear. We modeled the spatial distribution of humpback whales off the coast of Ecuador in relation to environmental variables. We analyzed the temporal variability in humpback whale sighting rates (animals/hour) in a subtropical (Manabí, 1996–1999) and tropical (Esmeraldas, 2001–2019) breeding ground. At the regional scale, we found humpback whale presence was more likely in shallow waters over the continental shelf. Esmeraldas and Manabí breeding grounds are core wintering habitats with most humpback whale sightings along Ecuador. Within breeding grounds, individual sighting rates varied between and within years and in relation to local sea surface temperature anomalies (SSTa). More animals were sighted in years with cooler waters in the Esmeraldas breeding ground, while the opposite was true in Manabí. Our findings suggest that during ENSO conditions, humpback whales may reach their temperature niche limit in the warm tropical waters near Esmeraldas, while during La Niña conditions, cooler areas such as Peru and Manabi become less suitable, and whales move further north.

[http://www4.usfq.edu.ec/owa/logo_usfq.png]             Judith Denkinger, PhD
Profesora
Colegio de Ciencias Biológicas y Ambientales
Universidad San Francisco de Quito
T: (+593) 2 297-1700 ext. 1153
Correo: jdenkinger at usfq.edu.ec
Diego de Robles y Vía Interoceánica, Quito, Ecuador
http://www.usfq.edu.ec
Nota de descargo: La información contenida en éste e-mail es confidencial y sólo puede ser utilizada por el individuo o la institución a la cual está dirigido. Esta información no debe ser distribuida ni copiada total o parcialmente por ningún medio sin la autorización de la USFQ. La institución no asume responsabilidad sobre información, opiniones o criterios contenidos en este mail que no estén relacionados con asuntos oficiales de nuestra institución. Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended only for the use of the person or institution to which it is addressed. This information is considered provisional and referential; it cannot be totally or partially distributed nor copied by any media without authorization from USFQ. The institution does not assume responsibility about the information, opinions or criteria in this e-mail.