[MARMAM] New paper on the impact of anthropogenic pollutants on the distribution of dolphins

Bruno Diaz Lopez bruno at thebdri.com
Mon Jul 10 02:40:08 PDT 2023

On behalf of my team, I am delighted to bring to your attention the publication of our last research published by the Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment.

Bridge, C., Methion, S., & Díaz López, B. (2023). The impact of anthropogenic pollutants on the distribution of a marine top predator within a coastal estuarine system. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 195(7), 898.

Abstract

Due to anthropogenic pressures, estuarine systems are among the most broadly impacted areas for marine top predator species. Given this, it is crucial to study the interaction between the vulnerable marine species that inhabit these regions
with environmental and anthropogenic variables. This study aims to determine whether nutrient pollution is related to the presence of bottlenose dolphins in a coastal environment. Using a multi-year dataset and GAMs, we studied the relationship
between marine pollutants and the presence of bottlenose dolphins in this highly impacted coastal marine environment. We observed that urban fertilizers were linked to the spatial distribution of bottlenose dolphins. There was a higher presence
of bottlenose dolphins in areas with high levels of phosphoric acid. In contrast, at higher concentrations of nitrate, the presence of bottlenose dolphins decreased.

The article can be found at the following links:

https://rdcu.be/dfCNt

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/371938022_The_impact_of_anthropogenic_pollutants_on_the_distribution_of_a_marine_top_predator_within_a_coastal_estuarine_system#fullTextFileContent

Please do not hesitate to ask for any question regarding our study or to request a PDF copy of the article.

Bruno Díaz López Ph.D
Chief biologist and Director
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI - www.thebdri.com
Avenida Beiramar 192, O Grove 36980, Pontevedra, Spain
Tel. 0034 684248552
he/him/his
ResearchGate - GoogleScholar -https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0388-3289

Follow BDRI on Facebook , Instagram or mention us on Twitter.

This email is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the contents may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and private informations. It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this email. If received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your system immediately. Please note that neither the Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI nor the sender accept any responsibility for any viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). Thank you for your cooperation.