[MARMAM] NEW PUBLICATION: Health Status of Stranded Common Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) and Contamination by Immunotoxic Pollutants: A Threat to the Pelagos Sanctuary—Western Mediterranean Sea

LORENZO MINOIA l.minoia at student.unisi.it
Sun Apr 30 00:43:28 PDT 2023

Dear Community of MARMAM,

I'm very happy to share with you a new publication about "

*Health Status of StrandedCommon Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)
and Contamination byImmunotoxic Pollutants: A Threat to the Pelagos
Sanctuary—WesternMediterranean Sea*".

I invite you to read the article: https://doi.org/10.3390/d15040569

Abstract:
Between 2019 and 2021, 21 bottlenose dolphins were found stranded dead
along the Lig- urian Pelagos Sanctuary coast (Italy). For 11 animals, out
of a total of 14 recovered, the cause of death was classified as natural,
anthropic, or not determined based on gross and histological pathology and
ancillary testing. Hexachlorobenzene (HCB),
dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethanes (DDTs), and poly- chlorinated biphenyls
(PCBs) were examined in their blubber, and results were discussed according
to their toxicological properties. All specimens showed the following
trend: PCBs > DDTs >> HCB, and the levels of cancerogenic, mutagenic, and
teratogenic organochlorine compounds (T-OCs) were >50% of total OCs.
Immunosuppressant organochlorine compound (IS-OC) levels in 10 out of 11
animals were above 50% of the total OCs. PCB levels always exceeded the
threshold of 17 mg/kg lipid weight for PCB-induced adverse health effects.
The results suggest that bottlenose dolphins living in the Pelagos
Sanctuary undergo a high level of exposure to pathogens and OCs, betraying
the designation of the Cetacean Sanctuary and, consequently, of a region
created for their conservation. Immune dysfunction and infectious disease
susceptibility appear to be highly connected with high levels of OC
xenobiotics. These data are useful to understand health and mortality
trends in cetacean populations, as well as for developing policies for
cetacean conservation and management in this important protected area of
the Mediterranean.

Thank you for the interest and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to
contact me.

Best regards!
Lorenzo Minoia

PEC: lorenzo.minoia at biologo.onb.it