[MARMAM] Bottlenose dolphin distribution in a Mediterranean area exposed to intensive trawling

Giovanni Bearzi giovanni.bearzi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 23:15:22 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

our latest work on the effects of trawling on bottlenose dolphins has been published in Marine Environmental Research.

Bonizzoni S., Gramolini R., Furey N.B., Bearzi G. 2023. Bottlenose dolphin distribution in a Mediterranean area exposed to intensive trawling. Marine Environmental Research 188, 105993. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2023.105993

ABSTRACT – The Adriatic Sea is one of the areas most exposed to trawling, worldwide. We used four years (2018–2021) and 19,887 km of survey data to investigate factors influencing daylight dolphin distribution in its north-western sector, where common bottlenose dolphins *Tursiops truncatus* routinely follow fishing trawlers. We validated Automatic Identification System information on the position, type and activity of three types of trawlers based on observations from boats, and incorporated this information in a GAM-GEE modelling framework, together with physiographic, biological and anthropogenic variables. Along with bottom depth, trawlers (particularly otter and midwater trawlers) appeared to be important drivers of dolphin distribution, with dolphins foraging and scavenging behind trawlers during 39.3% of total observation time in trawling days. The spatial dimension of dolphin adaptations to intensive trawling, including distribution shifts between days with and without trawling, sheds light on the magnitude of ecological change driven by the trawl fishery.

The paper will be freely available at the link below until June 8, 2023: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1gxjAW5UJNpY0

Alternatively, you may request a pdf copy to the first author, Silvia Bonizzoni <silvia.bonizzoni at gmail.com>

We would welcome any feedback or suggestions!

Cheers,
Giovanni Bearzi

———————
http://www.dolphinbiology.org/people/giovanni_bearzi.htm