[MARMAM] New publication

Janet Mann mannj2 at georgetown.edu
Fri Apr 14 08:35:18 PDT 2023

We are excited to announce our new publication on barnacle attachment in
cetaceans that many of you contributed data to!: "*Some like it hot:
Temperature and hydrodynamic factors influence Xenobalanus globicipitis
attachment to cetaceans*" by Milan M. Dolezal, Vivienne Foroughirad, Frank
E. Fish, Ann-Marie Jacoby, Melissa A. Collier, Colin J. Murphy, Keith A.
Rittmaster, Janet Mann
 https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13022

Abstract
Barnacles can reveal much about the physiology, health, and spatial ecology
of their cetacean hosts. Here, we examine how temperature and hydrodynamic
factors impact presence of *Xenobalanus globicipitis*, a pseudo-stalked
barnacle that attaches exclusively to cetaceans. We hypothesized that
temperature is a key environmental factor (i.e., water temperature) and
physiological factor, in that *X. globicipitis* prefers the warmest skin
temperature for attachment, possibly as a mechanism for survival in colder
waters. First, we demonstrate a global relationship between spatial ecology
of host species and presence of X. globicipitis. Notably, *X. globicipitis*
is absent in the four species occupying waters with the lowest sea surface
temperature (SST) year-round, but present in migratory species that likely
acquire the barnacle in waters with higher SST. Second, barnacle attachment
location on common bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus)* dorsal fins
corresponds with fin temperature and hydrodynamics. Although body
temperature may influence attachment location on the body of the animal,
hydrodynamic forces, as previously proposed, determine how well barnacles
can remain attached during the adult stage. *X. globicipitis* prevalence
likely provides important bioindicator, ecological, and physiological
information about its host. As parasitic infestation has some cost, these
results have implications for cetacean health in warming seas.

Janet Mann, Ph.D. website
<https://gufaculty360.georgetown.edu/s/contact/00336000014RY0bAAG/janet-mann>
Distinguished University Professor
Department of Biology