[MARMAM] FINAL REMINDER: Submit Abstracts for Northwest Student Chapter of SMM

Bankhead, Kyra kyra.bankhead at oregonstate.edu
Thu Apr 6 08:10:46 PDT 2023

Hello all,

This is the last reminder to submit an abstract for this year’s annual meeting of the Northwest Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy (NWSSMM) due tomorrow April 7th! Here is the link to submit abstract and/or register: https://bit.ly/NWSSMM23

Here are some reminders about the event that can also be found below and in the flyer attached:

  *   All-day event on Saturday May 6, 2023 for grads and undergrads in the PNW studying marine mammals
  *   Hybrid format: in-person at GVMSB with a zoom attendance option
  *   First in-person meeting since the start of the pandemic, so we’re really excited (and you should be too!)
  *   Students can submit abstracts on any and all marine mammal research at any point of progress
  *   PIs and post-docs are very much encouraged to attend and provide constructive feedback on student presentations
  *   Free food and swag
  *   Wanted: PIs and post-docs for participating in our networking event, “career conversation bingo” (remember SMM 2019?). Please email Michaela and Clara if you are willing and able!
  *   Deadlines: submit your abstract by April 7th, tell us if you’re coming in-person by April 14th or virtually by May 4th

Sincerely,

Your hardworking coordinating committee: Michaela Kratofil, Clara Bird, Ladd Irvine, Allison Dawn, Kyra Bankhead, & Hannah Sawyer

Our emails so you can tell us that you want to help us: <michaela.kratofil at oregonstate.edu> <clara.bird at oregonstate.edu>

~ The details ~

For those of you not familiar, the purpose of the annual NWSSMM meeting is to gather students in the Pacific Northwest region in a relaxed atmosphere to share their research and practice presenting it in a low-stakes, less formal situation. We also see this as an opportunity to meet other undergraduate and graduate students in the region. PI’s and other professionals involved in student led research projects are welcome to attend, but cannot present. We want to emphasize that students’ marine mammal research does not need to take place in the Pacific Northwest to present at this conference, nor does their research need to be complete; any and all abstracts are welcome! There are more details on the presentation types we’re planning for in the attached flyer.

We are especially fortunate to have Lisa Ballance as our keynote speaker to kick-off the conference! We will also be holding a “career conversation bingo” event, similar to what was held at SMM Conference in Barcelona just a few years ago. We are hoping this event will provide attendees with a fun opportunity to engage and network with other students and professionals. PIs & post-docs: if you would be willing to participate as a professional in this event, please indicate so in the registration form or email us to put you on the list!

There is no registration fee for attending the conference. Abstract submission for the NWSSMM conference is due Friday, April 7th 2023.

All attendees planning on attending in-person must register by April 14, 2023. Virtual attendees can register for the event until May 4th, 2023.If you initially register to attend in-person, but need to change to virtual, please let us know ASAP. We will be providing coffee/tea, light snacks, lunch, and a conference swag item for in-person guests and need to provide our vendors appropriate estimates in a timely manner.

All registrants will receive information on how to attend the conference using the email that was used for the registration at a later date. Presentations will not be recorded.

Registration and abstract submissions will be done via Google forms (link below). If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us: Michaela Kratofil <michaela.kratofil at oregonstate.edu> and/or Clara Bird <clara.bird at oregonstate.edu>

Thanks so much, and we look forward to meeting everyone virtually and hearing about your research!

Registration and abstract submission link: https://bit.ly/NWSSMM23

NWSSMM webpage: https://sites.google.com/uw.edu/nwssmm/home

Best regards,

Kyra Bankhead, Michaela Kratofil and Clara Bird

<michaela.kratofil at oregonstate.edu> <clara.bird at oregonstate.edu>

PhD Students | Marine Mammal Institute

Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Sciences

Oregon State University

https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/

[cid:30ee3c50-5589-4619-b5f5-1bef6ed5a3d2]