[MARMAM] New publication: Acoustic recording of false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens) from Mexico (L)” in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America

Raul Rio Ribeiro rrvet at yahoo.com.br
Mon Apr 3 07:53:25 PDT 2023

Dear MARMAM readers,

I am pleased to announce the publication of our new study entitled "Acoustic recording of false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens) from Mexico (L)” in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (Vol.153, Issue 4). It may be accessed via the link below:
Acoustic recording of false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens) from Mexico (L)
DOI: 10.1121/10.0017726

Raul Rio

ABSTRACT:
This study collected acoustic information on false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) in Mexican waters, close to Roca Partida Island, Revillagigedo Archipelago. In total, 321 whistles were collected after we found a group with at least ten individuals. The high prevalence of ascending contour types [upsweep (type I): 42.99%] contradicted the idea that false killer whales mostly produce constant whistles. Lack of well-established reproducibility criteria for whistle type categorization among studies may have generated results different from those expected for signal modu- lation. Future acoustic and ecological studies should be conducted to help clarify these findings and expand the lim- ited knowledge about this species.
Best regards,

Raul RioUniversidade Federal de Juiz de Fora - UFJFONG Ocean Soundhttp://www.oceansound.org
Site: https://www.oceansound.org/
Linktree: https://linktr.ee/oceansound.org