[MARMAM] New publication: Molecular detection of Vibrio paraheamolyticus in a sperm whale

Serrano Solis Arturo arserrano at uv.mx
Sat Sep 24 07:20:01 PDT 2022

Dear MARMAM Colleagues

On behalf on my co-authors, I am excited to announce the publication of our latest paper that investigated Molecular detection of Vibrio paraheamolyticus in a sperm whale:

Abstract

On 25 August 2021, a single female sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) was found stranded dead in Playa Tuxpan, Veracruz, Mexico. Skin biopsies were obtained and screened for the detection of various potentially pathogenic bacterial genera, using conventional polymerase chain reaction and sequencing of the positive amplicons. We recorded, for the first time, the presence of Vibrio paraheamolyticus in skin samples from P. macrocephalus in the Gulf of Mexico. Additionally, we discuss 29 records reporting strandings of sperm whales from six states of the Mexican Republic. Most of the records are concentrated in the Pacific Ocean. Our findings increase the inventory of bacteria reported in P. macrocephalus worldwide, summarising the knowledge of stranding events in sperm whale populations in Mexico.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11259-022-10007-8

[https://media.springernature.com/w200/springer-static/cover/journal/11259.jpg]<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11259-022-10007-8>
Molecular detection of Vibrio paraheamolyticus in a sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) stranding in northern Veracruz, Mexico | SpringerLink - link.springer.com<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11259-022-10007-8>
On 25 August 2021, a single female sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) was found stranded dead in Playa Tuxpan, Veracruz, Mexico. Skin biopsies were obtained and screened for the detection of various potentially pathogenic bacterial genera, using conventional polymerase chain reaction and sequencing of the positive amplicons. We recorded, for the first time, the presence of Vibrio ...
link.springer.com

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or comments on the paper.

Kind regards,
Arturo, Ph. D.

[cid:3ac42a47-4cc8-45f1-98bf-d04c38cb02ec]