[MARMAM] New Publication: Non-linear phenomena: a common acoustic feature of bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) signature whistles

Jessica Sportelli jessica.sportelli at nmmpfoundation.org
Mon Sep 19 09:50:03 PDT 2022

Hello everyone!
My team and I are excited to share our new publication with you in
Bioacoustics:
Sportelli, J.J, Jones, B.L, Ridgway S.H. (2022). Non-linear phenomena: a
common acoustic feature of bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*)
signature whistles. *Bioacoustics*.
https://doi.org/10.1080/09524622.2022.2106306

*Abstract*
Biphonation, deterministic chaos, sidebands and subharmonics are four
non-linear phenomena (NLP) that have been identified as common additions in
the phonations of animals. NLP have been hypothesised to communicate
urgency, caller identification, fitness and arousal/valence states for a
variety of species but have yet to be studied in detail for bottlenose
dolphins. For this study, the signature whistles of nine bottlenose
dolphins residing at the US Navy Marine Mammal Program (MMP) were
opportunistically recorded during routine periods of separation from
conspecifics. NLP were found to be common additions onto the spectral
structure of signature whistles, occurring in 53% of recorded whistles
(340/642). Sidebands were the most common NLP type produced. Although less
frequently emitted, biphonations were characterised by a significantly
longer persistence than the other NLP types. Age had a negative correlation
with overall NLP presence, and more specifically, sideband presence.
Individual differences in NLP use existed between dolphins; however, all
dolphins were recorded producing a minimum of two NLP types. We describe
NLP prevalence in dolphin whistles in order to provide a useful baseline
for continued research to further identify changes in NLP across
behavioural and/or health conditions.

Please reach out to me at jessica.sportelli at nmmpfoundation.org with any
questions, or for a pdf copy of the manuscript.

Cheers,
Jessica Sportelli
--
Jessica Sportelli