[MARMAM] Short Note: South American sea lion twins

Renan Lima renancdl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 12:17:32 PDT 2022

Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I'm happy to share our new research note
reporting a rare case of twinning in South American sea lions:

Lima RC, Cebuhar J, Martí L, Franco-Trecu V, Oliveira L, Botta S
(2022) FIRST RECORD OF TWIN FETUSES OF SOUTH AMERICAN SEA LION ON  THE
SOUTHERN BRAZILIAN COAST. Oecologia Australis, vol. 26, no 3,
https://doi.org/10.4257/oeco.2022.2603.09

Abstract: We report the first known occurrence of South American sea lion
(Otaria flavescens) twins on the South American coast. In January 2021 a
female pregnant with dizygotic male and female fetuses was found dead in
southern Brazil. The timing of the stranding event suggests that the
pregnancy was near-term. However, the total body length and weight of
fetuses suggested poor development and growth, which could be due to the
advanced age of the mother and/or poor nutrition of the individual during
pregnancy. The female fetus was larger and heavier than the male and could
have been implanted and developed earlier.

The note is open access and is available on the following link:
https://revistas.ufrj.br/index.php/oa/article/view/45742

Best regards,
Renan Lima

---
*Renan Costa de Lima, MSc*
Doutorando do Programa de Pós-Graduação em Oceanografia Biológica
Laboratório de Ecologia e Conservação da Megafauna Marinha - EcoMega
Instituto de Oceanografia
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG)

COMNAP Antarctic Fellow 2021

Fone: +55(53)99718994 | e-mail: renancdl at gmail.com
www.researchgate.net/profile/Renan-Lima-2