[MARMAM] {Disarmed} Introductory distance sampling training workshop 09-20 Jan 2023; registration now open

Eric Rexstad Eric.Rexstad at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 05:31:22 PDT 2022

Interactive introductory distance sampling training

The University of St Andrews has been training ecologists and statisticians in design and analysis of distance sampling studies for decades. Distance sampling methods are widely used in population assessment of cetaceans 🐳. Perhaps you've wanted to attend a previous workshop, but schedules conflicted with your field work. 👨‍🌾

We are offering the training workshop in 10 2.5-hour blocks in January 2023.  You will be invited to interact in short lectures on distance sampling principles. 👩‍🎓 Exercises analysing data sets in R will reinforce those principles and the lecturer will be available to assist during the practical session via screen sharing.  The session will conclude with a summary of the exercise and question/answer session for both lecture and exercise. 💻  You can participate in polls during the workshop to assess your comprehension of topics discussed. 🤔 In addition to questions at any time during the lectures and practicals, an optional additional half hour will be set aside each session for discussion of topics arising. 🗣

The workshop will be delivered using Zoom web conferencing software along with R-Studio "in the cloud".☁️ You will need (free) accounts for both pieces of software. I encourage you to experiment with Zoom (at https://zoom.us) and https://rstudio.cloud before the workshop begins. 👩‍💻  There will be an internet connection testing and general orientation session prior to the first workshop meeting that takes place on 09 January.

Important details

  *   Workshop dates and time:  09-20 January 2023; 1400-1630 British Summer Time.
     *   For the time of day in your time zone, consult
     *   https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Introductory+distance+sampling+training+workshop&iso=20230109T14&p1=3853&ah=2&am=30 🕰️
  *   Registration deadline: 30 November 2022📅
  *   Enrolment limit: 14
  *   Cost: 225 British pounds 💵
  *   What is included: Lectures, exercises, code, data all available online📃

Widening participation scholarship

One place will have the registration fee waived, for participants from under-represented groups.  Details of eligibility and application process at
http://workshops.distancesampling.org/widening-participation.
Deadline for scholarship application for the January 2023 introductory workshop is 26 October 2022.
Distance sampling workshops widening participation scholarship<http://workshops.distancesampling.org/widening-participation>
Distance sampling workshops widening participation scholarship. The Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling is committed to encouraging participation in our distance sampling workshops by scientists from countries with fewer resources, and from groups traditionally under-represented in wildlife science.
workshops.distancesampling.org


What they are saying
I would like to say I really liked RStudio Cloud and it is working just fine and I am really enjoying using it as a student. I'm looking forward to using it as an instructor too. I really liked the first half of the course. I love distance sampling and I am enjoying every second of the course! The only thing I can say about this particular workshop is it deserves more time. -- Kaan Özgencil, PhD student, Department of Biological Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Ankara
Further details

http://workshops.distancesampling.org/intro-jan-2023.html

At the webpage above, you will find a link to the St Andrews online shop where payment is made.  After registration, I will contact you with additional details regarding workshop electronic materials, etc.

Feel free to contact me with questions. Please share this announcement with interested colleagues.

Information regarding all distance sampling workshops can be found at

https://workshops.distancesampling.org
Distance Sampling Workshops · distancesampling.org<https://workshops.distancesampling.org/>
Distance Sampling Workshops. Here you can find content for distance sampling workshops including slides, exercises and other materials. Free online course
workshops.distancesampling.org


Eric Rexstad

Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

University of St Andrews

Registered Charity in Scotland SC013532