[MARMAM] New publication: Integration of a social cluster of Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella frontalis) after a large immigration event in 2013

Cindy Elliser cindy.elliser at pacmam.org
Sun Jul 31 21:39:55 PDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am happy to announce our recent publication
in Marine Mammal Science:

*Integration of a social cluster of Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella
frontalis) after a large immigration event in 2013. *
Cindy R. Elliser, Cassandra L. Volker and Denise L. Herzing

Article link:  http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12960

*A presentation on this paper at the SMM2022 conference will be on Monday
afternoon during the Behavior - Human Impacts (B2) session.*

Abstract:  Demographic changes can result in alterations of social
structure and behavior which in turn may affect survival, reproduction, or
movement and may influence how populations respond to changes in the
environment. In 2013, 52 Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella frontalis)
left Little Bahama Bank (LBB) and immigrated into a resident group of
spotted dolphins on Grand Bahama Bank (GBB). Initially there was little
interaction and two distinct social clusters delineated by residency
status. Here we describe the social structure of the dolphins on GBB
between 2015–2020. Analyses were conducted with SOCPROG 2.9 and
coefficients of association were nonrandom. The number of associations
between LBB and GBB individuals increased, and standardized lagged
association rates indicated continued associations over time. Modularity
analysis showed one community without clear social clusters, although there
were preferential associations within the original communities. Multiple
Regression Quadratic Assignment Procedure indicated that sex, age, and
residency status were good predictor variables that explained the patterns
of the association indices. Male alliances were present between LBB, GBB,
and LBB/GBB males. New and old relationships are influencing the social
restructuring of this community. This study furthers our understanding of
how demographic changes can shape the social structure of a population.

Please contact me with any questions!
Best,
Cindy

Cindy Elliser, PhD