[MARMAM] 34th annual European Cetacean Society Conference, 18-20th April 2023, O Grove, Galicia, Spain

Joan Gonzalvo joan.gonzalvo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 09:52:00 PDT 2022

Dear ECS members and followers,
We are pleased to announce that the 34th annual European Cetacean Society Conference will be taking place in O Grove, Galicia, North-western Spain, by the Atlantic Ocean. This conference is being locally organized by the Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute (BDRI) https://www.thebdri.com <https://www.thebdri.com/>, a marine science center dedicated to research, education, and conservation of marine mammals and birds. The theme of our next conference is:
‘OUR OCEANS, OUR FUTURE. MARINE MAMMAL BEHAVIOURAL ECOLOGY & THE SUSTAINABLE USE OF MARINE RESOURCES '

To talk about sustainability and rational or fair use of marine resources, it is inevitable to address and recognise the importance of a better understanding of the ecology and behaviour of marine mammals and their environment. Like marine mammals, many human communities depend directly or indirectly on marine ecosystems and their biodiversity for their livelihoods. This is the case in Galicia, where fishing and aquaculture are among the most representative economic activities associated with the use of marine resources. Effective management of marine biodiversity conservation is based on science. Likewise, the conservation of marine mammals represents a fundamental field of action to guarantee the balance of marine ecosystems. Therefore, under this theme we are inviting the scientific community to submit any topic related to issues of science and conservation and to contribute together to the conservation of the cetaceans and our future.
Participants in the 2023 conference are encouraged to present works that relate to this theme or otherwise consider how this issue affects their work.
We urge you to keep these deadlines in mind:

WORKSHOPS: 16-17 April 2023
CONFERENCE: 18-19-20 April 2023

Call for Abstracts Opens:
Wednesday 15 September 2023

Abstract submission deadline:
09 December 2023 (23:45 CET)

Early Bird Registration Deadline:
15 February 2023 (23:45 CET)

Late registration deadline & Video abstract submission deadline:
15 March 2023 (23:45 CET)

By now, this is a purely “SAVE THE DATES” communication and much more detail will follow soon both though our Social Media channels and website.
We look forward to seeing you in Galicia and enjoy together the natural beauty of O Grove’s coast line.
Best wishes,
Joan Gonzalvo PhD. - ECS Chairman