[MARMAM] New publication: "Extremely Low mtDNA Diversity and High Genetic Differentiation Reveal the Precarious Genetic Status of Dugongs in New Caledonia, South Pacific"

Claire GARRIGUE claire.garrigue at ird.fr
Tue Jul 26 03:05:24 PDT 2022

Dear Marmam community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am happy to announce the publication of
our recent paper in Journal of Heredity
https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esac029 :

"/Extremely Low mtDNA Diversity and High Genetic Differentiation Reveal
the Precarious Genetic Status of Dugongs in New Caledonia, South Pacific/"

..

*/Abstract/*/
//New Caledonia is home to one of the largest remaining populations of
dugongs (Dugong dugon) and is located at the southeastern limit of the//
//species range. Local knowledge suggests that current levels of removal
due to anthropogenic pressures are unsustainable, whereas trends suggest//
//an ongoing decline in the population. Considering this unfavorable
conservation context, this study aimed to assess the New Caledonian//
//dugong population’s resilience by determining its level of genetic
diversity and degree of isolation relative to other populations.
Mitochondrial//
//DNA (mtDNA) control region sequences (n = 55) collected from live and
dead dugongs in New Caledonia were compared with a global data//
//set of previously published sequences (n = 631) representing dugong
populations throughout the species range. The New Caledonian dugong//
//population displayed the lowest level of mtDNA diversity documented
worldwide (3 haplotypes with 1-bp difference), suggesting a recent origin//
//of the current population through limited colonization events.
Population structure analyses indicate a strong genetic differentiation
with all the//
//putative populations represented in the global data set, including
large neighboring Australian populations. These results show that the
dugong//
//population in New Caledonia is particularly isolated, fragile, and
vulnerable to anthropogenic threats and diseases with low potential for
resilience//
//through incoming gene flow. Our findings call for an instant
conservation response and consideration for IUCN population assessment to//
//support the long-term survival of the New Caledonian dugong population.//
/

Feel free to contact any of the authors for pdf:
Claire Bonneville: claire.bonneville at ird.fr
Christophe Cleguer: christophe.cleguer at jcu.edu.au
Marc Oremus: moremus at wwf.nc

Best regards

--
Dr Claire Garrigue
UMR ENTROPIE - Institut de Recherche pour le Développement