[MARMAM] New Publication: Physiological responses of narwhals to anthropogenic noise

Terrie Williams tmwillia at ucsc.edu
Tue Jul 12 09:02:06 PDT 2022

Hello MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent publication that is
now online in Functional Ecology:

Williams, T.M., Blackwell, S.B.,Tervo, O., Garde, E., Sinding, M.S.,
Richter, B., and Heide-Jørgensen, M.P. (2022) Physiological responses of
narwhals to anthropogenic noise: A case study with seismic airguns and
vessel traffic in the Arctic. Functional Ecology,
https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2435.14119

This is a companion physiological study to our previous publication
concerning the behavioral responses of narwhals to seismic airguns (Mads
Peter Heide-Jørgensen et al. (2021) Behavioral Response Study on Seismic
Airgun and Vessel Exposures in Narwhals. Frontiers in Marine Science 8,
doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.658173). Together these two studies provide a
comprehensive profile of the reaction of this deep-diving, high Arctic
cetacean to disturbance.  In this newest physiological study we find
that geographical isolation makes narwhals exceptionally vulnerable to
anthropogenic activities now afforded by a larger ice-free Arctic.
Measurable impacts occur across the entire oxygen pathway from
respiratory to cardiovascular and locomotory function. Ultimately,
energetic costs are two-fold greater for narwhals exposed to noise.

Please contact me for further information about this paper. The study
will also be presented at the upcoming Society for Marine Mammalogy
Conference in August.

Best Regards,

Terrie

Terrie M. Williams, PhD