[MARMAM] New Publication on the Animal Audiogram Database

Dähne Michael Dr. Michael.Daehne at meeresmuseum.de
Tue Feb 22 22:44:49 PST 2022

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I would like to draw your attention to our new publication on a community based database of hearing physiology data:

The Animal Audiogram Database: A community-based resource for consolidated audiogram data and metadata

Denise Jäckel, Alvaro Ortiz-Troncoso, Michael Dähne and Christian Bölling

Knowledge of hearing ability, as represented in audiograms, is essential for understanding how animals acoustically perceive their environment, predicting and counteracting the effects of anthropogenic noise, and managing wildlife. Audiogram data and relevant background information are currently only available embedded in the text of individual scientific publications in various unstandardized formats. This heterogeneity makes it hard to access, compare, and integrate audiograms. The Animal Audiogram Database (https://animalaudiograms.org) assembles published audiogram data, metadata about the corresponding experiments, and links to the original publications in a consistent format. The database content is the result of an extensive survey of the scientific literature and manual curation of the audiometric data found therein. As of November 1, 2021, the database contains 306 audiogram datasets from 34 animal species. The scope and format of the provided metadata and design of the database interface were established by active research community involvement. Options to compare audiograms and download datasets in structured formats are provided. With the focus currently on vertebrates and hearing in underwater environments, the database is drafted as a free and open resource for facilitating the review and correction of the contained data and collaborative extension with audiogram data from any taxonomic group and habitat.

You can download the publication from: https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0009402 or send me an e-mail for a copy.

The publication is part of our project “Hearing in penguins<https://www.deutsches-meeresmuseum.de/en/science-research/projects/current-projects/hearing-in-penguins>” and the database currently focusses mainly on marine species. At the moment it contains audiograms of porpoises, dolphins, seals, beaked whales, pilot whales, sea otters and many more, so we hope it will be of great interest to the marine mammal community.

Kind regards,
Michael

--
Dr. Michael Dähne
Kurator für Meeressäugetiere/ Curator of Marine Mammals

Deutsches Meeresmuseum
Museum für Meereskunde und Fischerei ∙ Aquarium
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Katharinenberg 14 – 20
18439 Stralsund

Tel.:      +49 (0) 3831 26 50 310
Fax:      +49 (0) 3831 26 50 309
Mail:      michael.daehne at meeresmuseum.de<mailto:michael.daehne at meeresmuseum.de>