[MARMAM] New publication: No BMAA neurotoxin detected in stranded cetaceans in NW Spain

Alfredo López Fernández a.lopez at ua.pt
Thu Feb 24 08:24:08 PST 2022

Dear MARMAM readers,
On behalf of my coauthors and myself, I am pleased to share a recent
publication with you:

Soliño L., Kim S-Y., López A., Covelo P., Rydberg S., Costa P.R. and Lage
S. 2022. No B-N-Methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA) was detected in stranded
cetaceans from Galicia (North-West Spain). Journal of Marine Science and
Engineering 10(3), 314.

Abstract:
The neurotoxin β-N-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA), a non-proteinogenic amino
acid produced by several species of both prokaryotic (cyanobacteria) and
eukaryotic (diatoms) microorganisms, has been proposed to be associated
with the development of neurodegenerative diseases. At first, BMAA appeared
to be ubiquitously present worldwide in various organisms, from aquatic and
terrestrial food webs. However, recent studies, using detection methods
based on mass spectrometry, instead of fluorescence detection, suggest that
the trophic transfer of BMAA is debatable. This study evaluated BMAA in 22
cetaceans of three different species (Phocoena phocoena, n = 8, Delphinus
delphis, n = 8, and Tursiops truncatus, n = 6), found stranded in
North-West Spain. BMAA analysis of the liver, kidney, or muscle tissues via
sensitive liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry did not
reveal the presence of this compound or its isomers. The absence recorded
in this study highlights the need to better understand the trophic transfer
of BMAA and its anatomical distribution in marine mammals.

Open access at: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/10/3/314/htm

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Alfredo López

CESAM-UA