[MARMAM] Nocardiosis in cetaceans

Pablo José Díaz Santana pablo.diasantana at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:34:17 PST 2022

Dear Marman subscribers:

We are pleased to present our latest published reasearch : *"Nocardiosis in
Free-Ranging **Cetaceans from the Central-Eastern Atlantic Ocean and
Contiguous*
*Mediterranean Sea".* We report and describe the pathologic associated
features of 5 delphinids (four striped dolphins and one bottle-nose
dolphin) from Canary Islands and Andalusia with first description of *N.
otitidiscaviarum* in cetaceans and *N. farcinica* in free-ranging
cetaceans. Our results contribute to expand the disease literature as well
as highlithg the zoonotic potential.

Abstract: We report the pathologic features of nocardiosis in five
free-ranging delphinids from the Canary Islands and Andalusia, namely four
striped dolphins (Stenella coerulealba) and one bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops
truncatus). All animals had a multiorgan (disseminated) pattern of
infection involving suppurative to pyogranulomatous and thromboembolic
lesions in two or more organs. Most affected organs were (by decreasing
order) lung, pulmonary lymph nodes, liver, kidney, adrenal glands, and
central nervous system. Typical intralesional and intravascular branched
and filamentous bacteria were highlighted by Grocott’s methenamine silver
and Gram stains. Bacterial analysis including 16S rRNA gene sequencing
identified Nocardia farcinica in two striped dolphins and Nocardia
otitidiscaviarum in one striped dolphin and the bottlenose dolphin. All
dolphins tested (n = 4) for cetacean morbillivirus were negative; one
dolphin had concurrent cutaneous herpesvirosis. These results provide the
first record of N. otitidiscaviarum in cetaceans, the first account of N.
farcinica in free-ranging dolphins, and confirmation of nocardiosis in
central eastern Atlantic Ocean. These results expand the known geographic
range of nocardiosis in cetaceans
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/12/4/434

Cheers,

All authors.