[MARMAM] {Disarmed} Introductory distance sampling training workshop 11-22 April 2022; registration now open

Eric Rexstad Eric.Rexstad at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 02:29:52 PST 2022

Interactive introductory distance sampling training

The University of St Andrews has been training ecologists and statisticians in design and analysis of distance sampling studies for decades. Distance sampling methods are widely used in the assessment of cetacean populations. Perhaps you've wanted to attend but scheduling of workshops conflicted with your field work. 👨‍🌾

We are offering the training workshop in 10 2.5-hour blocks in April 2022.  You will be invited to interact in short lectures on distance sampling principles. 👩‍🎓 Exercises analysing data sets in R will reinforce those principles and the lecturer will be available to assist during the practical session via screen sharing.  The block will conclude with a summary of the exercise and question/answer session for both lecture and exercise. 💻  You can participate in polls during the workshop to assess your comprehension of topics discussed. 🤔 In addition to questions at any time during the lectures and practicals, an optional additional half hour will be set aside each session for discussion. 🗣

The workshop will be delivered using Zoom web conferencing software along with R-Studio "in the cloud".☁️ You will need (free) accounts for both pieces of software. I encourage you to experiment with Zoom (at https://zoom.us) and https://rstudio.cloud before the course begins. 👩‍💻  There will be an internet connection testing session prior to the first meeting on 11 April.

Important details

    Workshop dates and time:  11-22 April 2022; 1500-1730 British Summer Time.
For the time of day in your time zone, consult https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Introductory+distance+sampling+training+workshop+April+2022&iso=20220411T15&p1=3853&ah=2&am=30 🕰️
    Registration deadline: 17 March 2022📅
    Enrolment limit: 14
    Cost: 215 British pounds 💵
    What is included: Lectures, exercises, code, data all available online📃

What they are saying

I would like to say I really liked RStudio Cloud and it is working just fine and I am really enjoying using it as a student. I'm looking forward to using it as an instructor too. I really liked the first half of the course. I love distance sampling and I am enjoying every second of the course! The only thing I can say about this particular workshop is it deserves more time. -- Kaan Özgencil, PhD student, Department of Biological Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Ankara

Further details are available:

https://workshops.distancesampling.org/intro-apr-22.html

At the webpage above, you will find a link to the St Andrews online shop where payment is made.  After registration, I will contact you with additional details regarding workshop electronic materials, etc.

Feel free to contact me with questions. Please share this announcement with interested colleagues.

Information regarding all distance sampling workshops can be found at

https://workshops.distancesampling.org
Distance Sampling Workshops · distancesampling.org<https://workshops.distancesampling.org/>
Distance Sampling Workshops. Here you can find content for distance sampling workshops including slides, exercises and other materials. Free online course
workshops.distancesampling.org

Eric Rexstad

Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

University of St Andrews

Registered Charity in Scotland SC013532