[MARMAM] The first three records of killer whales (Orcinus orca) killing and eating blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus)

Isabella Reeves isabella.reeves at flinders.edu.au
Fri Feb 4 14:19:43 PST 2022

Hi all,

On behalf of all co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our manuscript titled "The first three records of killer whales (Orcinus orca) killing and eating blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus)" in Marine Mammal Science led by John Totterdell.
This paper highlights the first three records of killer whales successfully predating on blue whales, including on a healthy adult. The predations events were observed between 2019-2021 in southwestern Australia.

For the paper please see https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12906.

See a video of the first record of killer whales killing and eating an adult pygmy blue here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7g7AVxOw5g&ab_channel=CetrecWA>

Kind regards,
Isabella

​

Isabella Reeves

PhD student

BSc Marine Biology (Hons.)

Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL<http://www.cebel.org.au>)

Molecular Ecology Lab (MELFU<http://www.molecularecology.flinders.edu.au>)

College of Science & Engineering, Flinders University

Email<mailto:isabella.reeves at flinders.edu.au>  | Twitter<https://twitter.com/bellaa_reeves>  | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/isabella-reeves-60142b175/>